Windows Media Player not updating album info in File Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I found album info for some songs, and they were updated in Media Player, but not in File Explorer... What should I do?
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have make the certain test as what you mentioned and it appeared to be the same results.

Media player just write these data in Library but not the metadata for the music file itself. Please see if you remove the music from the media player and re-add, these data you have changes before just losing.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:03 AM

All replies

• So what settings do you have set in File Explorer that are not updating? Need more info to help.

The files in File Explorer have file names, so Media Player updates the metadata \ media info so is that now showing? Do you have the folders in File Explorer set type Music? (properties of the folder on the Customize tab, select Music from the dropdown).

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 10:27 PM
  • The properties (artists, year, etc.) aren't showing in File Explorer, but are showing in Media Player. Yes, they are in the Music folder.
    • Edited by andrepoiy Thursday, October 6, 2016 1:17 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 1:04 AM
  • So sorry just to confirm, the folder type is set to customise and Music?

Beyond that there is a hidden file in each folder called Desktop.ini (need to enable hidden files to see). Is that present? Try deleting that in a folder and refreshing, does that make a difference?

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:50 PM
  • I can reproduce this.  When I manualy edit the composer in Windows Media Player, I can see the changed value in explorer.
    But changing the title did NOT update the display in explorer.
    Tested with "Windows Media Player" version 12.0.14393.206 on Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1607 Build 14393.222
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Sadly, it did not.... 
    Friday, October 7, 2016 12:05 AM
  • If you bring up the properties of a changed file check the Details tab does the change show there?
    Friday, October 7, 2016 5:59 PM
  • No, it does not...
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

I have make the certain test as what you mentioned and it appeared to be the same results.

Media player just write these data in Library but not the metadata for the music file itself. Please see if you remove the music from the media player and re-add, these data you have changes before just losing.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:03 AM
  • To change the filename in the METADATA (to bee seen in the file explorer) you have

or a) type the name you wish to have under "Title" in WMP each individually

or b) change all titles in WMP by selecting all titles you want to change at once, then (w/o unselecting them) edit ONE of the titles, then pressing back-space key and then ENTER, the names of all the file as per file explorer are imported to WMP

NOW comes the trick

In WMP you have to change the file name just a bit, e.g. adding or deleting a character.

In case you don't do this, file name in METADATA of file explorer will not change. 

Hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by JackiesBlues Monday, November 11, 2019 6:05 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Thank you so much. This really saved my day.
    • Edited by Mandaren Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:29 PM