WSUS Updates Export/Import RRS feed

• Question

• First time poster so please bear with me. My question is, I have a live WSUS server always connected receiving and storing updates. I have some computers that will not touch the network and need a way to update and patch them. I know of the WSUSOffline CD that alot of forums and people are recommending, however I was wondering if there was a way to use PowerShell to create a script to export the updates, burn them to a disc, put the disc into one of the offline machines, and run a PowerShell script to import those updates and install from the inserted disc. I'm also very new to PowerShell so any help, advice, even a little how to would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Monday, March 19, 2018 1:07 PM

Answers

• https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd939873(v=ws.10)

As reference, this is what I'm trying to do, which is steps 3 and 5, I'm just trying to figure out how to copy metadata using PowerShell or if it is even possible to do that at all.

Appreciate the feedback. Thank you for your time.

• Edited by clogan37 Monday, March 19, 2018 5:44 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:29 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 5:21 PM

All replies

• I was wondering if there was a way to use PowerShell to create a script to export the updates, burn them to a disc, put the disc into one of the offline machines, and run a PowerShell script to import those updates and install from the inserted disc.

This is a very advanced programming question, so the answer is no -- nobody is going to write this for you. Such a request is outside the scope of this forum. As you have noted, you will need to search for solutions for updating those computers that are outside of your normal management scope.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, March 19, 2018 3:51 PM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd939873(v=ws.10)

As reference, this is what I'm trying to do, which is steps 3 and 5, I'm just trying to figure out how to copy metadata using PowerShell or if it is even possible to do that at all.

Appreciate the feedback. Thank you for your time.

• Edited by clogan37 Monday, March 19, 2018 5:44 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:29 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 5:21 PM

• I don't think clogan37 was asking for anyone to write him a him/her a power-shell script. I think the goal of this question was to see if anyone could point him/her to relevant commands which I think falls within the scope of this scripting forum. 

Monday, March 19, 2018 5:49 PM
  • Good job: You demonstrated you're not helpless and found a good documentation reference.

Steps 3 and 5 are documented directly on that page.

You need to explain what you mean by "how to copy metadata using PowerShell": The commands (listed on the reference page, the link to which you posted) are the same whether you use PowerShell or not. PowerShell can run commands typed at its prompt, just like cmd.exe. If you want a script, put the commands in a .ps1 file, and type the .ps1 file's name to run the script.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, March 19, 2018 5:59 PM