Confused about 32 bit vs. 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I'm responsible for ordering computers for our Training Dept.  Was all set to order some Dell Optiplex 745s.  I asked if they were 32 bit machines.  I was told they were not, but that I could run Vista with 32 bit processor.  They also said that if I want 64 bit processors, I'd have to go up to their "workstation" models.  We plan on making these computer dual boot, XP on first disk drive and Vista on 2nd disk drive.  We also plan on running Office 2003 on the XP drive and Office 2007 on the Vista drive.  This is a training environment.  My question is, will I be losing any features running the 32 bit version?  Both in Vista and Office 2007
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 4:59 AM

All replies

•  Jim in Cleveland wrote:
      My question is, will I be losing any features running the 32 bit version?  Both in Vista and Office 2007

No, the features are the same for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The only difference really is in the 64-Bit version, you are able to have more than 4GB of RAM installed, and the system will utilize it.

Friday, March 9, 2007 10:52 PM
  • Look saying this that no problem in features, will not be correct, X64 edition does not have full compatiblity right now, many applications, drivers etc. give problems, and the main thing is that applications run a little slower in X64 edition if you have RAM less then 2 GB,another issue comes up with Applications , many application right now do not support X64 platform. i am myself using Vista X64 and i know that how hard its to configure it with all apps.

So You wont LOOSE and features Running 32bit Version, you will have greater compatiblity and ease of use for now..

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:09 PM
  • Agreed.  The general agreement among every forum I have read is: Vista64 is really for experts only at this time! 

Few programs, and even fewer hardware drivers are currently available for the 64bit operating systems.  For now, unless you have a dire need for more than 4gb of ram, STICK WITH WINDOWS VISTA 32BIT!

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:41 PM
  • The thing is......I'd like to stick with 32 bit, but from what I understand, Vista 32 can only utilize 3.25 gigs of ram if you have 4 gigs installed. Is this true??

If you're a gamer and want to run Vista/DX10, you almost have to use more than 2 gigs of ram. Monotoring my laptop running Vista, if I open a browser and maybe one other app., the system is using close to a gig of ram.

Can you run 32 bit programs on Vista 64, or do you need 64 bit drivers for everything?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:24 AM