none
The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA) after Upgrading DPM 2007 SP1 to DPM 2010 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I upgraded one of my production servers from DPM 2007 SP1 (latest Hotfix) to DPM2010.  The upgrade itself went fine on the DPM server so I opened the Console and proceeded to update all of my agents.  However, one particular agent, which was fine before the upgrade, is now giving me an error.  The agent status is "Unavailable" and I receive this error:

    Protection agent version: 2.0.8861.0
    Error: Data Protection Manager Error ID: 300
     The protection agent operation failed because it could not communicate with buc-prod-vs001.aarons.aaronrents.com.
    Detailed error code: The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)
    Recommended action: Do the following to troubleshoot this issue:
    1) Verify that buc-prod-vs001.aarons.aaronrents.com is online and remotely accessible from the DPM server.
    2) If a firewall is enabled on buc-prod-vs001.aarons.aaronrents.com, verify that it is not blocking requests from the DPM server.
    3) Verify that Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) is configured on both the DPM server and the protected computer. If IPsec is only configured for one computer, turn off IPsec.

    If I try to update the agent it simply says it is upgrading for a few seconds and goes back to this error message.  This agent has been backing up on this DPM server for quite a while with no issues so it is something that has changed when I installed DPM 2010.  On the agent machine, I have checked that the DPM server is a member of all 3 Groups required which are "Distributed COM Users, DPMRADCOMTrustedMachines, and DPMRADmTrustedMachines".  I have also checked the DPM RA Service in Component Services and made sure my DPM server is listed with all launch and activation permissions. 

    Any ideas why upgrading DPM would have broken the Agent communications and how to fix it?  I really do not want to have to inactivate my Replicas and uninstall and reinstall the agent.

    Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:33 PM

Answers

  • Hi Jeff,

    Can you please verify if

    1. ping is working fine.
    2. open wbemtest in run command and connect to the remote server vice versa.
    3. If both of the above are working fine can you please try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259011

    If either 2 or 3 is failing this is outside of dpmserver you should try fixing this first. once you have tried all these can you please reply with the results. If you still find problems then we can investigate further.


    -- Thanks Chandraneel Chakka[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:19 AM

All replies

  • Hi Jeff,

    Can you please verify if

    1. ping is working fine.
    2. open wbemtest in run command and connect to the remote server vice versa.
    3. If both of the above are working fine can you please try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259011

    If either 2 or 3 is failing this is outside of dpmserver you should try fixing this first. once you have tried all these can you please reply with the results. If you still find problems then we can investigate further.


    -- Thanks Chandraneel Chakka[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Hi Chandraneel,

    I failed in step2.

    I got an error number 0x800706BA The RPC server is unavailable

     

    Regards RW

    Friday, August 20, 2010 11:41 AM