none
Resource Leveling RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project with a task that has two resources assigned to it.  One resource is assign for 40 hrs @ 100% and the other is assigned for 20 hrs @ 100%.  The resource assigned for 20hrs is assigned to other tasks that could run concurrent to the task.  When I level resources the resource assigned for 20 hrs will not get work assigned during the days the task first task is scheduled.  I have tried changing the parameters on both tasks to try to get the second task to fill up the other 20 hrs.  Can someone help me with this.

I am using MS Project 2007 on Windows XP.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you very, very sure that the second resource is not assigned 20 hrs @ 50%?

If not I cannot reproduce your problem.

When in doubt, send the file to jandemesATprom-ade.be

I'll then have a look.

Greetings,

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Why don't you split the task into two ( one for 40 hour and one for 20 hour), assign correct resource to each task and level. Now, the second resource would have no issue starting the other task, as soon as she finishes her first task

Sandeep

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you very, very sure that the second resource is not assigned 20 hrs @ 50%?

If not I cannot reproduce your problem.

When in doubt, send the file to jandemesATprom-ade.be

I'll then have a look.

Greetings,

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

It seems you have manually typed 20hrs for resource in 2 tasks in Resource Usage View's work column? If this is the case, opt as Jan suggested, make the resource unit as 50% on the tasks it would by itself assign resource on the tasks as 4hrs/day -> this would also not show resource as over allocated.

It is showing overallocation as you have manually entered 20hrs in each of parallel tasks, which is considered as -

The resource will work 20hrs on each of the parallel task, as you have kept his Unit as 100% ->project will assign him 8hrs/d on each task. Hence, making him over-allocated. So, the moment you do Resource Leveling it is shifting 1 of the tasks.

So, make units as 50% this will sort out your issue - assigning 4hrs/d on each task automatically.

Sapna S

Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry Sapna, my point is that he probably DID set the 4 hrs of work @ 50%; then leveling will also push a second task @ 100% to the next day; he has to put the firsts task to 4 hrs of work @ 100% (thus only 4 hours of duration, the task ending at noon) then leveling can make the next task (@ 100%) start at noon the same day.

Greetings,

Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Oops, I mis-understood. :(

Sapna S

Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Why don't you split the task into two ( one for 40 hour and one for 20 hour), assign correct resource to each task and level. Now, the second resource would have no issue starting the other task, as soon as she finishes her first task

Sandeep

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:21 PM
  • This gives identically the same result as my suggestion.

Greetings,

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:01 PM