simultaneous analog & digital audio RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody help?

I am using a Creative soundblaster external 24bit soundcard on my new Vista powered laptop. I have both analog and digital audio systems connected to it. I cannot seem to get simultaneous analog & digital audio to output from the device. This used to work fine on my old XP o/s. Is this a Vista problem or a Soundblaster driver problem?

Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:16 PM

All replies

• A year on since Vista was released and now into SP1 and yet Microsoft still hasn't given us back the ability to have simultaneous analog and digital audio (which used to work perfectly on XP). Shame on you Microsoft..............

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Can anybody at Microsoft explain why they have removed this functionality? At the moment all I can say is Vista sucks!

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:17 PM
  • I also have this problem. I have submitted a service request. The support tell me that Microsoft has focused on this problem. Therefore, we only need wait, this issue maybe resolved in nextday

Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Lets hope so, I have been waiting 7 months already now..........

Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:05 AM
  • Same!!! There are thousands and thousands of other guys on media centre forums who have switched to Vista and now have the same problem that you and I have.

Its used to work on XP but now doesn't with Vista.

Add me to the waiting list.....

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:21 AM
  • Any updates on this yet??? I'm hanging out for this Microsoft fix.

Do they actually intend to fix it?

Sunday, April 27, 2008 6:17 AM
  • I'm also still waiting for this feature. I can select just 1 audio output as my default....  and since at my desk i have an analog setup and over at my TV my digital set it would be nice to be able to always output through both.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 6:37 PM
  • No sign of a fix as of yet. I have logged it as a support issue with Microsoft. The last word from them was that 'they are working on it'. Not sure whether that was just a fob off though to stop me contacting them about it.......

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:06 PM
  • This just in from Microsoft technical support:

Jason, Please be assured our developers do recognize this issue and are working on it. As this issue has been hard-coded in the program, it will take us some time to modify it. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we are working on this.

I think this known issue will be resolved in the near future.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Technical Support.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:11 PM
  • just finally found this post.... good to see some sort of headway. that microsoft knows about this, I been so disappointed and have searched my Tushy off looking for a work around. Switched to vista back in Jan and previously had XP for years and ALWAYS had comp speakers on and was pushing toslink to home theater. that way those in the house could here music, and those outside by bonfire\in garage could hear the music as well.

a post that i posted elsewhere...

"Our drivers? do all of us have the same hardware? same mobo's? same audio cards? are all of us using vista now, what versions are we using? have all of us who are using vista now used XP and DID IT WORK??

Well I know 15 of my clients who used XP all diffrent manufactures, (diffrent versions of XP as well..Home,Pro) diffrent mobo's, diffrent sound cards, all Drivers\Updates up to date in XP, and decided to upgrade to vista and all of them including myself (like others here) cannot get MICROSOFT'S VISTA to play audio through 2 outputs at once!

So.. how can we ask those who post here have you done your updates, or Tell them it's There (your) hardware, when so many have posted here with diffrent specs and all are having the same issue.... Not to mention it's all over google\search engines that people are having this issue and as far as i've researched no one has found a fix to it as of yet.

What really amazes me is all the posts here of people who have multiple audio sources, and the way society\Technology is changing with networking, multiple rooms\floors\Zones with tv\audio\video, surround sound etc...

Why they (MICROSOFT) push there all-in-one Almighty Media Center\Player (cough cough)and would take away a much needed option for media sharing(sound)\networking(Sound)\ the ultimate home\business experience.

One last note... multi-room\channels\Zones\floors of audio have been around for eons. Almost all surrond sound processors\recievers (even consumer ones from BestNOTBuy) have the ability to push audio simultaneously to diffrent zones at once. AND XP DID AS WELL!!!

I'll be back in a few months to see if there's been any headway... good luck to all of you that are in the same boat as myself"

Friday, August 8, 2008 4:57 PM
  •  Jason-JPJI wrote:

This just in from Microsoft technical support:

Jason, Please be assured our developers do recognize this issue and are working on it. As this issue has been hard-coded in the program, it will take us some time to modify it. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we are working on this.

I think this known issue will be resolved in the near future.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Technical Support.

Any word on Microsoft fixing this???

It's really something that would force me back to XP.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:01 PM
  • No sign of a fix yet. Microsoft technical support won't even acknowledge my recent emails on the subject......

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:52 PM
  • This is one of the most frustrating things I have found with Vista. If I had the option to swap Vista for XP I would do it IN A HEARTBEAT!
    Seriously I am quite angry at this not being available in Vista, I am quite upset at having spent money on the new OS, when it doesn't give me what I want to do. The only value Vista offers me is a "pretty" new interface, which in all honesty, ain't worth a lick when the rest doesn't work in the same way as it's predecessor.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:38 AM
  •  

What is Creative's official response on this issue?  If Creative says it is not supported by Windows Vista, then you have your answer.

As this would be a feature change or enhancement issue, and features are rarely ever changed or enhanced between Service Packs, I wouldn't expect it until Service Pack 2 for Vista at the earliest.  It would have been added by now if Microsoft was planning it for an out-of-band or hotfix type release.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:33 AM
  • Creative have given mixed responses to the issue. At first they completely failed to understand the problem, and had me re-installing drivers etc, but eventually the admitted that this feature was not supported in Vista. They did tell me that they were going to issue a new driver that would add the support, but then they told me that they would not be issuing new drivers as it was a Vista issue.

However, from what I can assertain, the problem lies with Vista and not the audio card manufacturer. I dont know of any audio card that will allow simultaneous analog & digital under Vista. I think it is vista that will not allow this to happen.

Microsoft have also given a mixed response. Initially they blamed the audio card drivers, but then said the problem was with Vista and that they were working on it. They now say that their developers are assisting 3rd party audio card manufactures to solve the problem, implying that it is the audio card manufactures problem.

It all sounds like a whole lot of book passing to me. Like I said, I think the problem is with Vista, and I dont expect to see a resolution anytime soon, if ever!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:37 AM
  • Well, Vista is now over 2 years old, and microsoft still haven't addressed this issue (although they claim they are still working on it). I have given up on ever seeing a resoultion in Vista and therefore have reverted back to good old Windows XP for my audio needs. What a disgrace that old outdated software can STILL do what the lasest & 'greatest' os still CANNOT do.

Lets just hope this gets sorted in Windows 7, but I wont hold my breath.........
    Fustrated EX Vista User
    Friday, February 6, 2009 9:26 PM
  •  

I just want to put my two cents in about this topic.  I have a 5.1 digital audio surround sound system connected trough spdif connector on my computer.  My mom is VERY hard of hearing and so she has wireless headphones that she uses to listen to analog sound.  In XP we enjoyed listening to the 5.1 surround and my mom enjoyed listening to the analog headphones simultaneous.   This is very easy to do in XP.  However, it's IMPOSIBLE to do it in Vista.  Using a dirty hack, we were able to get it to output ANALOG 2.1 sound to both the digital audio surround and the headphones simultaneously, however, this patch doesn't work in the windows 7 beta.  For the sake of my poor hard-of-hearing mother, I just wish Microsoft would do something about this.

Monday, February 16, 2009 9:38 PM
  •  Sad to hear that this does not work in the Windows 7 beta either. I'd given up on Microsoft ever fixing it in Vista (despite several empty promises that they were working on the issue), but was kinda hoping that they would sort it out for win7. I don't even understand why they ever removed this functionality in the first place......

Its such a pity, as there are many features I like about Vista, but I just cannot live with its lack of audio support, hence I am still using win XP.
    Fustrated Vista User
    Monday, February 16, 2009 10:35 PM
  • If anybody wants windows 7 to feature simultaneous digital & analog audio output, then vote for it here:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/76
    Its not had many votes as of yet, so do spread the word........
    Fustrated Vista User
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Still no sign of a fix for this in Vista. Looks like microsoft have given up on this much maligned OS. Words cannot express how pissed off I am with Microsoft about this. Microsoft is nothing but empty promises and no explanations....
    Fustrated Vista User
    Monday, March 16, 2009 8:41 PM
  • I've been following this discussion for a while because I was using a Media Center PC connected to my living room TV, receiver and a multi-room device.  Problem was that I couldn't have 5.1 audio going to my receiver and stereo audio going to the multi-room device at the same time (and switching was a pain as well).

My solution was to use an Xbox 360 as a Media Center extender.  It's able to output component HD video, optical 5.1 audio and stereo audio all at the same time.  You should be able to use the Linksys and other Media Center Extenders to do the same.  This might work with HDMI + stereo audio as well but I haven't tried it since my mutli-room device only works with component video.  I realize this won't help many of you, but might help a few.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 4:55 PM
  • If you are in the playback devices window, are listening to music from a digital out source, then hit the test button to test an analog out source, you will hear the music from the analog out source also while the test sound is being played. The same thing works in reverse. If you are listening to music, have an analog source set as default, and hit the test button for the digital out source, you will hear music from the digital out source also, for as long as the test is going on.

This tells me that the source code in Vista is already setup to be able to play analog and digital at the same time. We are merely waiting for them to care enough to listen to us and correct this downgrade placed in Vista. No answers just frustration.
    Rob
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Hi,

Please also refer to:

Cannot get Digital and Analog Output at the same time

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

Not sure which card that statement refers to, but the card I have WILL output simultaneous streams in win XP, but Vista will not support this. I have yet to test it on win 7, but looking at the forums it appears that win 7 will not support simultaneous streams either. As of yet, I still have no idea why microsoft has chosen to remove this most useful functionality. Despite being told by microsoft that they were aware and were working on the issue over a year ago, nothing has been forthcoming......

Fustrated Vista User
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:32 AM
  • I agree with Jason-JPJI.  I have that same sound device and simultaneous digital and analog output use to work fine in WinXP.  I was also using AC3Filter so that might have had something to do with it.  But I am using Win7 with AC3Filter now and it does not work like it use to.  I can confirm a post above.  When running a test on the non-default audio device, you can hear the music playing out of the other, default device.  So WTF Microsoft?  The hardware can do it.  And your OS is capable of doing it.  It just isn't doing it correctly right now.  MAKE THIS WORK!  PLEASE!
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

Please also refer to:

Cannot get Digital and Analog Output at the same time

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

I have two issues with this post. First issue. This post's link references to Creative's Sound Blaster X-FI Xtrememusic (for those that did not know) of which I have the specific model of and the issue at hand does not apply to this specific model. The second issue is that the response from Creative is correct because Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 limits output of audio to one device only. Windows XP does not do this.

I think what everyone wants is an ANSWER for (and not a BS excuse post like this one I quoted or "we're working on it" - for 2 years) why you imposed this limitation and if you will do anything about it.

I for one found it rather irritating not being able to output analog to my computer speakers (ANALOG) and to my surround receiver (through COAX) at the same time. This was something I used to do all the time in windows XP but now I cannot in windows 7 (and apparently Vista).

For the other's that mention that when you "test" the audio it will come out both outputs, you are correct that works perfectly fine since it's a Test (which shows the driver and card are both capable of simultaneous analog and digital output) and not an "untrusted stream" which I myself believe is the reason the limitation is imposed.

I'd go into the corporate/political/legal implications for removing this limitation but many people here I would assume don't want to read it. TL;DR. To boil this down to the hard facts, they don't want us copying the audio/video signals with a capture device (tape recorder is the most basic example).
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:45 PM
  •  

I just want to put my two cents in about this topic.  I have a 5.1 digital audio surround sound system connected trough spdif connector on my computer.  My mom is VERY hard of hearing and so she has wireless headphones that she uses to listen to analog sound.  In XP we enjoyed listening to the 5.1 surround and my mom enjoyed listening to the analog headphones simultaneous.   This is very easy to do in XP.  However, it's IMPOSIBLE to do it in Vista.  Using a dirty hack, we were able to get it to output ANALOG 2.1 sound to both the digital audio surround and the headphones simultaneously, however, this patch doesn't work in the windows 7 beta.  For the sake of my poor hard-of-hearing mother, I just wish Microsoft would do something about this.

Z3Rian Said:
    "My solution was to use an Xbox 360 as a Media Center extender.  It's able to output component HD video, optical 5.1 audio and stereo audio all at the same time.  You should be able to use the Linksys and other Media Center Extenders to do the same.  This might work with HDMI + stereo audio as well but I haven't tried it since my mutli-room device only works with component video.  I realize this won't help many of you, but might help a few."

I can both confirm this and offer a solution to your problem. If you send the pure digital signal to a decent quality receiver you can have that output the audio to the headphones as well as normally. Most receivers have an output as well (granted it would be an output of an input of an output from the computer) but at least you would get very similar functionality to what you had before. I have an older Kenwood receiver and it has this functionality. All in all you have to work around the limitation that was imposed in windows Vista/7.

My suggestion for all is to go back to Windows XP (like I have, But only if you can and/or know how to). Seems to be the only OS that isn't obviously being hindered by "laws" like Vista/7 is.   Reminds me of the myriad problems Vista had on first release... all because it was Vista AND the hardware manufacturer's faults at the same time.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:58 PM
  • I can't even get my on-board sound to automatically switch between Digital and Analog signals within Windows 7 Home Edition.  If I could just get the computer to recognize that I am attempting to send an analog signal and default to the analog so that I can get noise automatically without having to fuss with going into the sound settings everytime and manually changing between "Speakers" (analog audio) and my "Denon AV-AMP" (HDMI digital connection) I would be happy.  Does anyone know if this is possibly a difference between Windows 7 Home Edition and Windows 7 Pro Edition or is there a setting in the BIOS to tell the HTPC to automatically switch between the two?
    Friday, June 4, 2010 1:56 PM
  • That's sort of what we are complaining about. We wanted analog and digital at the same time. We would have to go into the sound settings and switch the default device from the analog to the digital.

In short, switching between analog and digital is exactly the same through all versions of Windows 7. This could also be true with Windows Vista but I'm not sure since I don't have Vista.

Friday, June 4, 2010 7:22 PM
  • So this post is dead for quite a while now.  I'll just revive it saying that IT IS STILL AN ISSUE!  So yes, for auround 4 years now windows still didn't managed to fix this!  Bravo, bravo, clap, clap...

I have win7 pro, and mobo Asus P7P55D-E, all the most recent updates, hardware and software, and it's not working. 

Are we doom? 

MS people, I think the wait was long enough now...

Monday, January 31, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Hey guys,

I need a little help with my PC/HDMI setting. I'm running Realtek HD audio card & ATI HDMI video card on my Windows XP (32bit) machine. Now I can hear sound either from analog multichannel output or 2.1 HDMI (Realtek or ATI) digital out.

Would you be so kind navigate me through WXP audio settings necessary for solving this issue?

Cheers!!!

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:19 AM
  • I am in despair, I met this problem of simultaneous audio outputs with my Home Theater installation and I thought it would take a little search and I could find a way to fix it and I discover now this is impossible !!! I really regret my choice (PC + Windows) and I am pretty sure either Linux or two different sources (one blu ray player for my movies and one CD player for my music) would have been a better and cheaper solution.

Why on earth this regression and why cannot it be fixed, I cannot understand !!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:33 AM
  • So this still hasn't been fixed. i will post if i figure out a fix for this.

My problem is i have to restart every time  i switch between analog and digital.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:40 AM