query sent items folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am looking for a script that queries the sent items folder of Outlook (shared mailbox exchange 2007) and returns a specific name detailed within the body of the message with the date and time sent.

For Example script to display all emails sent with Andy in the body of the message and the actual date / time the message was sent from that mailbox with keyword containing andy. The output should basically display date time andy sent an email
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:08 PM

Answers

• Hi

I am looking for a script that queries the sent items folder of Outlook (shared mailbox exchange 2007) and returns a specific name detailed within the body of the message with the date and time sent.

For Example script to display all emails sent with Andy in the body of the message and the actual date / time the message was sent from that mailbox with keyword containing andy. The output should basically display date time andy sent an email

Use the Outlook Advanced Search function to do this.  It will give you all of this information.  Create a simple macro to execute it as a command buton.

Look in the script repository for numerous examples of scripts to extract infomation from Outlook.  Post back with specific questions and not recipes for a script project.

Start with a script that is close and attempt to modify it.  Ask questions about each step that you get stuck on. 

The object is to learn how to script and not how to get free programming time.

jv
    • Proposed as answer by Richard MuellerMVP Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by IamMred Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:50 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:49 PM

All replies

• Hi

Use the Outlook Advanced Search function to do this.  It will give you all of this information.  Create a simple macro to execute it as a command buton.

Look in the script repository for numerous examples of scripts to extract infomation from Outlook.  Post back with specific questions and not recipes for a script project.

Start with a script that is close and attempt to modify it.  Ask questions about each step that you get stuck on. 

The object is to learn how to script and not how to get free programming time.

jv
    • Proposed as answer by Richard MuellerMVP Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by IamMred Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:50 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

please have a look at the get-messagetracking log cmdlet in order to get some detailed information about the mailflow in your systeme.

If you want to get some detailed information of a mailbox exspecially information about folders within the mailbox use the cmdlet get-mailboxfolderrstatistics.

Because i don´t know what you want I give you this generic information. if you give us some more detailed information it would be possible that we give you the right command.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Hi,

please have a look at the get-messagetracking log cmdlet in order to get some detailed information about the mailflow in your systeme.

If you want to get some detailed information of a mailbox exspecially information about folders within the mailbox use the cmdlet get-mailboxfolderrstatistics.

Because i don´t know what you want I give you this generic information. if you give us some more detailed information it would be possible that we give you the right command.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Unfortuantely mailbox statistics cannot look inside of a message.  We can do this in Outlook or using EWS. Outlook is easiest to do using the builtin search.  If you can create a manual search and a macro to execute this we can then easily create a script that will do the same thing.

EWS is more powerfull but not necessary when just querying one folder.

It is too bad that,so far, MEExchange team has not seen ot add robust and extensive email wueriying into Posh although it is available in MS DeskTop Search 4.0 I believe.

MSDT can be pretty easily scripted.

jv
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:18 PM