none
Windows machines deployed using MDT RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues with machines deployed using MDT getting windows updates. In particular, machines that are deployed using the Windows 10 v1607. Machines that have Windows 10 v1511 work. I update the reference image every month by creating a new image that updates from Windows update, sysprep, capture. I then use that new WIM to create new machines. This process worked with no issues on v1511. Now with v1607, I have no issues creating the references images, but after deployment the machines will not update. I have tried using the windows update troubleshooter, no change. I have tried repairing using DISM and sfc. These are the errors I am getting: 0x800704CF, 0x80240438, 0x8024a005. 

We use Kaspersky to perform our software and windows updates on the network. 

Anyone else experience issues like this and if so did you find a resolution?

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:42 PM

All replies

• C:\Users\keith.garner>err 0x800704CF

ERROR_NETWORK_UNREACHABLE                                     winerror.h
    # The network location cannot be reached. For information
    # about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

C:\Users\keith.garner>err 0x80240438

ERROR_CANNOT_DETECT_DRIVER_FAILURE                            winerror.h
    # Failure actions can only be set for Win32 services, not for
    # drivers.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/938205/windows-update-error-code-list

0x8024A005 WU_E_AU_NO_REGISTERED_SERVICE No unmanaged service is registered with AU.

Could be network/driver related.

Additionally, if you are using a WSUS server, I could also recommend cleaning the WSUS state from the registry:

oShell.RegWrite "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\WUServer", "", "REG_SZ"
    oShell.RegWrite "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\WUStatusServer", "", "REG_SZ"
    oShell.RegWrite "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\UseWUServer", 0, "REG_DWORD"

Next step would be to gather the bdd.log and WindowsUpdate.log files and upload them to a public site like OneDrive and share the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:10 AM