WSUS Console Connection and Other Errors [Resolved] RRS feed

• Question

• Server info: Windows Server 2012 with WSUS running on WID.

Have a client computer I'm trying to get updated but it cant connect to the WSUS server.

Running the WSUS console on the server gives me a connection error with the option to reset the node, which doesn't fix the issue.

The error text provided by the console is:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists, 

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.IO.IOException -- The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

Source
    System

Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.get_ServerTools()

Running wsusutil postinstall /servicing gives me:

Fatal Error: Transaction (Process ID 51) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction. ALTER DATABASE statement failed.

Windows Event Viewer has a constant stream of errors from MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID:

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database 'SUSDB'. [CLIENT: <named pipe>]

I've tried restarting the mentioned services with no luck.
    I've tried increasing the Application Pool private memory limit to 4GB with no luck.

Any suggestions?

• Edited by Blueshift Saturday, December 29, 2018 3:35 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 10:08 PM

Answers

• Try restarting the server and then immediately running from an Admin PowerShell prompt:

"$env:ProgramFiles\Update Services\Tools\WsusUtil.exe" postinstall

"$env:ProgramFiles\Update Services\Tools\WsusUtil.exe" postinstall /servicing

Does this work? Otherwise, install SSMS and use the instructions at the bottom of my blog post here: https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-remove-wsus-completely-and-reinstall-it/ to use SSMS to connect to the WID to see what's going on.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Marked as answer by Blueshift Saturday, December 29, 2018 3:34 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2018 3:32 AM

All replies

• Try restarting the server and then immediately running from an Admin PowerShell prompt:

"$env:ProgramFiles\Update Services\Tools\WsusUtil.exe" postinstall

"$env:ProgramFiles\Update Services\Tools\WsusUtil.exe" postinstall /servicing

Does this work? Otherwise, install SSMS and use the instructions at the bottom of my blog post here: https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-remove-wsus-completely-and-reinstall-it/ to use SSMS to connect to the WID to see what's going on.

• Marked as answer by Blueshift Saturday, December 29, 2018 3:34 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2018 3:32 AM
  • Hello,

Is it a fresh installed WSUS? Or has it been running for some time? 

If it has been running for some time, what happened before it had this issue? Update or set changes, or something else?

If it is a new WSUS, you could try to reinstall WSUS with fresh WID.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 28, 2018 10:31 AM
  • Thanks, will try restart tonight once all our remote users are logged off.

Currently, the WSUS postinstall log fails at the following point:

2018-12-28 10:20:12  Ensuring SUSDB is set to Multi-User Mode ...
    2018-12-28 10:20:13  System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Transaction (Process ID 51) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
    ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteCommandNoResult()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.TryEnsureDatabaseIsInMultiUserMode()
    ClientConnectionId:09949b49-d566-4013-a158-3b2aa025b700
    Error Number:1205,State:68,Class:13
    2018-12-28 10:20:13  System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Transaction (Process ID 51) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
    ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteCommandNoResult()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.ConnectToDB()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Configure()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Run(String instanceName, Action`1 logWriter, Boolean contentLocal)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
    ClientConnectionId:09949b49-d566-4013-a158-3b2aa025b700
    Error Number:1205,State:68,Class:13

In SSMS, there is only one instance of SUSDB, however it says it it inaccessible when I try to open it.

I'll try restarting and update you later on any progress. Thanks.

Friday, December 28, 2018 3:36 PM
  • Hi, relatively fresh install of WSUS; installed a few weeks ago. It was (kinda) working before, was having trouble getting some clients to show up in the console, but was really close to getting it fixed. However, now it's not working at all since I can't open the console snap-in. I'd prefer not to reinstall WSUS as it was a big struggle to get installed in the first place (2012 doesn't play nicely with the install in general).
    Friday, December 28, 2018 3:39 PM
  • Hi, relatively fresh install of WSUS; installed a few weeks ago. It was (kinda) working before, was having trouble getting some clients to show up in the console, but was really close to getting it fixed. However, now it's not working at all since I can't open the console snap-in. I'd prefer not to reinstall WSUS as it was a big struggle to get installed in the first place (2012 doesn't play nicely with the install in general).

Use my blog series on How to Setup, Manage, and Maintain WSUS - https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-1-choosing-your-server-os/

You won't have issues - it covers all angles (pre/post KB3159706 and pre/post latest CU)

Friday, December 28, 2018 3:58 PM
  • Thanks, will have a look at this as well and let you know how I get on.
    Friday, December 28, 2018 5:37 PM
  • Delete the computer object from the WSUS console. Verify BITS is running on the client, also check that version for BITS. If it is outdated, it will not communicate.

Friday, December 28, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Can't get into the console due to the Connection Error. BITS is running.
    Friday, December 28, 2018 8:50 PM
  • Restart and those two commands got the console back up and running. Thank you!
    Saturday, December 29, 2018 3:34 AM
  • Great to hear you're working again.

You're welcome!

Saturday, December 29, 2018 5:55 AM