Switch computer off after updates RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi

I am totally satified with what MS Shared Computer ToolKit is able to do for our shared lab computers, except for the bad user experience when it comes to doing updates (Windows/Antivirus) where users are disrupted and kick out.

However, I was able to overcome that by doing the following:

DiskProtect.wsf /on /mu /time:22

sleepwakepc.wsf /Wake /User:administrator /Password:xxxxx

These lines actually turn on disk protection such that when I leave the PCs on at the end of the day, they get patched at night and turn off by themselves. The next day when a user turn on the PC what he experience is only a short  message saying "enhance write filter....0%...10%....100% completed.." and after that he gets his Windows... no reboot Smile  great. 

MSCT currently is perfect for me, I hope in future Steady State will be improved to meet all important needs and benefitting everyone.

thank you very much in advance

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:18 AM

Answers

•  Hi TSO,

Thank you for your suggestions!

Based on my experience, you can create a Schedule Task to shut down the computer after Schedule Updates. Please refer to the following thread to create a task:

Reset my System every Day at 00:00

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1882563&SiteID=69

Note: Please change the BAT file's content to: "C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe –S –f –t 0" without quotations, please also adjust the start time properly (usually half or an hour later of the Schedule Updates time)

Regards,

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hi TSO,

Thanks for sharing your SCT experience!

Based on my experience,  this design is to make sure no other changes were committed by users. As another workaround, you can schedule the update to a spare time. Please also understand that this forum mainly focus on SteadyState related issues. All the earlier versions will not be supported.

By the way, SteadyState 2.5 Beta has been released, feel free to try it if you have interest.

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Beta

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4de91d3a-69f4-4d7b-94b1-c69b8be029f4&DisplayLang=en

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Beta Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D173452A-CE26-4F26-9C30-982F705F84D2&displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:50 AM
  •  

thanks for reply.

actually the ability to wake up PCs at night to do Windows/antivirus updating and shut off after that, and all ready for use the next day, is my wishlist for next the version of SteadyState. thanks.

Monday, November 26, 2007 12:52 PM
  •  Hi TSO,

Thank you for your suggestions!

Based on my experience, you can create a Schedule Task to shut down the computer after Schedule Updates. Please refer to the following thread to create a task:

Reset my System every Day at 00:00

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1882563&SiteID=69

Note: Please change the BAT file's content to: "C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe –S –f –t 0" without quotations, please also adjust the start time properly (usually half or an hour later of the Schedule Updates time)

Regards,

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:02 AM
  • hi Shawn

Yes, "C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe –S –f –t 0" will turn off after updating but you have to guess when the updates will finish and approximate a shuting down time.

As for the retain changes temporarily method mentioned in "Reset my System every Day at 00:00" thread , it is only workable if you allow changes to retain for different users throughout the day despite different users come and go and doing rebooting.

Thansk and regards

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

That's why I recommend setting the shutdown task half or an hour later of the Schedule Updates time. Based on my experience, unless there is update problem, all the updates will be installed within 30 minutes.

Regards,

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:35 AM
  •  

hi Shawn

thanks for the clarification

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:57 AM