none
An error occurred while opening your project. Give us a few minutes and try again. If this happens again, contact your administrator. RRS feed

• Question

• When I try open the project file in Project Online (Hosted by Microsoft on O365), I see this error.  This is happening to a number (but not all) of the files stored on Project Online.

An error occurred while opening your project. Give us a few minutes and try again. If this happens again, contact your administrator.

I am the administrator, but I haven't now any clue how to debug.

File opens ok in Project Pro 2013.  Permissions are setup. It's a Master Project with 17 inserted files.  None of the inserted files are checked out by others (including me).

How to fix?  How to find the root cause?

I looked elsewhere via Google and didn't find anything relevant.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Edited by Rob Schneider Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:43 PM elaborated.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:36 PM

Answers

• Since some of the sub projects are not opening, your master project is facing this problem

You need to fix your subprojects first.

After reading through your last reply, I am not sure if your subprojects are now ok or not

Please confirm

Also , if you have office 365 , you can submit support ticket to Microsoft to take a look at

Hrishi Deshpande, Project MVP

• Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob Schneider Friday, June 24, 2016 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Saturday, June 25, 2016 4:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob Schneider,

Could you please check this Link

-SNKBalaji

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:31 AM
  • Thanks. I did find that link via Google ... there is no "state" table in our instance of Project Online, so that's not the issue.  

Is there anywhere, a log or something, which reports more on what might be wrong?  I'm hoping they provide some sort of clue somewhere?

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Are you able to open those 17 subprojects individually?

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Some yes, some no. 

But is there not a way to find out the the why Project complains?  

I suspect the problem was a view.  I created a view with a filter for one enterprise text field equal to something. As Project Online "remembers" the last view, I suspect that for some projects the filter stops any records being return.  So instead of showing a blank screen, it gives that very polite error message.

While polite, it did not help me understand what to do.  

After deleted all those new filtered views, things working again.

But it's scary to think that there can be a problem like this to deny me access to the proejct files without telling me what's wrong. 

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:36 PM
  • Since some of the sub projects are not opening, your master project is facing this problem

You need to fix your subprojects first.

After reading through your last reply, I am not sure if your subprojects are now ok or not

Please confirm

Also , if you have office 365 , you can submit support ticket to Microsoft to take a look at

• Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob Schneider Friday, June 24, 2016 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Schneider Saturday, June 25, 2016 4:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Yes, I understand it's the sub projects failing that was causing the master to fail.

I didn't know that at the time due to the "very polite but not useful" error message.

yes, I have O365 hosted by Microsoft.  I'll submit a support ticket. However, it's now hard to recreate as I used brute force to fix (while horrified that many of my files were lost!!).

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:44 PM
  • I am able to replicate.  I have reported to Microsoft but haven't heard result.  

SR #116062292532447

Steps to replicate:

1. I created a new view “__Test” which shows a few columns plus a filter for “_Asset=XXXX” where [_Asset] is an Enterprise custom field.

2. I open a project where there are no records where the filter will return records, and PWA reports there are no records.  Press cancel to pick another view.  I do that and the project displays per the new filter.

3. I open a project where there would be records with “_Asset=XXXX” and it works as expected.

4. I open a project where I know there are no records with “_Asset=XXXX”.  Since PWA “remembers” the last view used, it defaults to using the “__Test” view. This time, instead of giving me the error message to pick another view, it presents the polite-but-useless error message as screen shotted.

The flaws are:
    1. the error message is not useful.  It needs to give a clue about what is wrong.  Not good enough to “contact administrator”.  Administrator has no idea what to do as there is nothing in the error message to help and i've found no error logs or anything to help.
    2. the error message is wrong. It should detect that there are no records to display and should present a message to pick another view.
    3. What does “give us a few minutes” mean? What are you doing in those few minutes?  I waited many minutes and nothing happened.  Why does the error message say this if in fact (as I suspect) nothing is happening in those "few minutes"?

Friday, June 24, 2016 8:18 AM
  • After a lot of back and forth with Microsoft, where they were trying pin the cause of the problem me doing something to "corrupt" the view, I focused their attention on them getting to reproduce the error.  Finally, they report that they can reproduce the flaw and it is now confirmed to be an "on-going issue" with no time for resolution available.  Also do not know their priority to do so.  Since it means any view with a filter is probably going to fail for projects, it sort of stops us in our tracks in using filters in views.  At least I don't have to keep working to convince them it's not something I'm doing wrong.

Saturday, June 25, 2016 4:57 AM