System Center 2012 App Controller SQL Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I started yesterday installing the System Center 2012 system using the Unified Installer.  I have an existing SQL server that I am using for the databases but the App Controller install does not seem to even attempt to connect to the external database.  I've tried creating the database manually, as well as letting the setup process create the database.  Nothing seems to work.

The error I get is: "The specified database has insufficient disk space"

I should also add, that the server itself has over 200 GB of free space, so disk space is not actually an issue

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

• Edited by mbaker33 Monday, April 23, 2012 12:16 PM
    • Moved by Stan White [MSFT]Microsoft employee Monday, April 23, 2012 2:15 PM Moving to correct forum category for the topic (From:Configuration Manager 2012 - General)
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

For you first issue of SQL. You are correct, the custom install is the same as running the individual setup program. On the page where you enter the SQL Server information for App Controller, after you enter the SQL server name, the setup program will query the SQL server for the list of instances and should populate the drop down list of instances. This retrieval of instance names usually happens within a few seconds, although I have occasionally seen it take longer.

If App Controller Setup is able to pull back the list of instances then it means connectivity and permissions are likely to be OK. The account you are using to run App Controller Setup needs at least DBO permission on the database you'll be using for App Controller.

There will be more detailed information in the App Controller installation log files which are located in %TEMP%\App Controller\.

The AppControllerSetupWizard.log should have additional information - do a search for "SQL" - you should see a line that starts with

No SQL Server instances on localhost

The next few lines should give an indication of the issue that App Controller is facing.

For your second question - this is a little more involved and depends on your configuration and scale requirements.

In most cases each component should be installed in its own virtual machine. App Controller and VMM can share a server, with a couple of caveats:

1. If you plan to cluster your VMM server then App Controller shouldn't be on the same server
    2. If they are on the same server then when you install VMM, ensure to move the BITS transfer from port 443 to another port

With Service Manager and Operations Manager, ensure each one has their own SQL Reporting Server rather than a shared SSRS.

Thanks

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:51 PM
  • I had the same problem and I solved it by creating a rule any <-> any on my firewall between machines, one where you installed the db and the other where it is installed app controller. At issue seems to be due to the object DCOM-in that is blocked by the firewall

Regards,

Luca

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:52 AM

All replies

• Mark,

You should re-post your issue here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appcontroller/threads

Dave

- Dave

Monday, April 23, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Hello,

I am also running into issues installing the Operations Manager module as well.  I have updated the SQL server to the latest rollup (SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CU6) and still having the same trouble.  With the Operations Manager module, the error is a little more specific.

"The version of SQL Server on this computer is either not supported or could not be validated because of an issue connecting to the WMI provider. For a complete list of the supported SQL Server versions and editions, see the System Center 2012 - Operations Manager Supported Configurations document in the TechNet library."

I can find no documentation that states that the SQL server is unsupported, and there are no firewalls between the two servers.

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Hi Mark,

If you want to use an existing SQL Server then you will need to run the setup program for each System Center component separately and not use the unified installer.

The System Center 2012 Unified Installer is a utility designed to perform new, clean installations of System Center 2012 for testing and evaluation purposes only and will install local SQL databases for each component.

Deploying Unified Installer to servers that have preexisting SQL Server installations is not supported: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh751278.aspx

Kind Regards,

Richard

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Thanks Richard,

I was deploying using the Unified Installer, but chose the Custom install to install each system one by one.  It appears that that is the same as installing each module manually.

On another note, we will be deploying several of the different modules (App Controller, Operatrions Manager, Orchestrator, Service Manager, VM Manager, etc.) I have been unable to find clear concise documentation of a best practice for deploying each system.  I assume all of the different options should not be installed on the same server, but I'd like to understand which items play nice together.

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Hi Mark,

For you first issue of SQL. You are correct, the custom install is the same as running the individual setup program. On the page where you enter the SQL Server information for App Controller, after you enter the SQL server name, the setup program will query the SQL server for the list of instances and should populate the drop down list of instances. This retrieval of instance names usually happens within a few seconds, although I have occasionally seen it take longer.

If App Controller Setup is able to pull back the list of instances then it means connectivity and permissions are likely to be OK. The account you are using to run App Controller Setup needs at least DBO permission on the database you'll be using for App Controller.

There will be more detailed information in the App Controller installation log files which are located in %TEMP%\App Controller\.

The AppControllerSetupWizard.log should have additional information - do a search for "SQL" - you should see a line that starts with

No SQL Server instances on localhost

The next few lines should give an indication of the issue that App Controller is facing.

For your second question - this is a little more involved and depends on your configuration and scale requirements.

In most cases each component should be installed in its own virtual machine. App Controller and VMM can share a server, with a couple of caveats:

1. If you plan to cluster your VMM server then App Controller shouldn't be on the same server
    2. If they are on the same server then when you install VMM, ensure to move the BITS transfer from port 443 to another port

With Service Manager and Operations Manager, ensure each one has their own SQL Reporting Server rather than a shared SSRS.

Thanks

Richard

Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:51 PM
  • I had the same problem and I solved it by creating a rule any <-> any on my firewall between machines, one where you installed the db and the other where it is installed app controller. At issue seems to be due to the object DCOM-in that is blocked by the firewall

Regards,

Luca

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:52 AM