Runbook to create a change request from a service request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Customers frequently request the ability to create a change request from Service Manager Self-Service Portal. This capability is not provided out of the box. Does has anybody tried to create a Runbook for that?

Best regards

Nick

Sunday, December 18, 2016 11:56 AM

All replies

• Hi

Yes this has been done a number of times. Here is a blog post on the basic steps required Creating Change Requests from Service Requests using System Center Orchestrator

This also came up a few weeks ago and this thread may help SCOr Runbook issue  

Regards

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

• Proposed as answer by Firat YASAR Monday, December 19, 2016 7:35 PM
    Sunday, December 18, 2016 8:16 PM
  • Hi again,

The first link does not work with SCSM 2016. I did try that last week but I get always an error.

The second link is not resolved as I read that. I have no Idea how I can do that.

Best regards

Nick

Sunday, December 18, 2016 8:35 PM
  • Hi

You should be able to get Orchestrator to work with SCSM 2016. I would post the error on this forum and see if the community can help resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, I do not have Orchestrator set up with SCSM 2016 to test the steps, so I am relying on other posts and blogs. I also tend to use PowerShell Activities to do this in the SCSM workflow, rather than going external. 

But this is a common request and there should be a way to achieve your goal.

Regards

Glen

Sunday, December 18, 2016 10:28 PM
  • Hi again,

I have followed the first link all steps exactly and try many times. But I still every time the same error on the last step as following:

[Target Object Guid] is null or empty.

If I try with SCSM 2012 R2 it works but it is not working with SCSM 2016 and SCOr 2016.

could you help me?

Regards

Nick

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi

I will try to help. I found this article How to add a Reviewer to a Review Activity through Orchestrator and down in the comments a couple of people have a similar issue to yours. I am not sure if it is relevant, but it is talking about the Target Object GUID being null or empty.

From the comments:

"The blog above specifically is using GET OBJECT and filtering for the Review Activity by it’s ID. I bet Aaron and Erwin are using either Create Related Object or Get Related Object instead.
    Create Related Object and Get Related Object store three GUIDs, not one:
    — SC OBJECT GUID is the GUID of the relationship itself.
    — SOURCE OBJECT GUID is the GUID of the Source (SR for this case)
    — TARGET OBJECT GUID is the GUID of the Target (RA for this case)
    So if you are going to reference your Review Activity’s GUID from Get Related Object or Create Related Object, you want to use TARGET OBJECT GUID, and not SC OBJECT GUID."

Are you using any of these?

Regards

Glen

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hi

Thanks again for help. Yes I use two times "Create Related Object in my Runbook like the first Link above from Nathan Lasnoski and I use "SC Object GUID". Please see the Nathan Lasnoski.

Regards

Nick

• Edited by PERS60 Monday, December 19, 2016 9:46 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hi

In the comments on his blog someone else ran into the same problem as you have (probably on SCSM 2012). So it is not just your setup. There must be a small error somewhere in the process either in the blog or in your runbook.

Looking at the post this is what I think it is trying to do in the last step: the Source Object GUID = Change Request GUID, and the Target Object GUID = Service Request GUID. 

But from your error, the Target GUID is blank and it has not been populated from the previous step. 

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the previous Step is not getting the SR GUID, but from the post there is a step that does get the SR GUID and it uses SC Object Guid from "Get Runbook" 

Maybe try that as the Target Object GUID on the last step and see what happens?

I cannot test this myself at the moment, so I can only make suggestions that may or may not help. This must be very frustrating, but I am sure it can be done.

Regards

Glen

Monday, December 19, 2016 10:09 AM
  • Hi

In my last step I have following Config

Source Object Guid= {SC Object from "Create Change Request"}

Target Object Guid= {Related Object Guid from"Get Relationship"}

What should I change that here?

Regards

Nick

Monday, December 19, 2016 11:36 AM
  • Hi

Just went through the blog post again. The last two steps are about getting the configuration items, specifically a Windows Computer object, added to the Change Request.

Do you have a configuration items on the Service Request? If there was no configuration items to move it might be causing the error.

And do you need this information (ie do you need the last two steps?)

Regards

Glen

Monday, December 19, 2016 7:51 PM
  • Hi Glen,

I do not understand correct you what you mean with "Do you have a configuration items on the Service Request?" and "And do you need this information (ie do you need the last two steps?)"

Regards

Nick

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Hi

I have not got this in a test lab - I might be able to do this over the weekend and then can replicate what you have. For me having an example in front of me works best. So I am sorry of some of my ideas are not making as much sense as they should.

1. Can you actually use the runbook in Service Manager? When you create a portal request it is using a service request template and an SR is created with the runbook activity in the workflow. From what I can see in the runbook design, it gets the configuration items off this SR and adds them to the CR. Do you have config items on the original SR that will be copied to the CR?

2. Do you need to bring the Configuration Items from the SR across to the CR? I would think yes, but it might be a good test to take the last two steps off the runbook and see if everything else works, just to confirm we are looking at the right piece of the puzzle.

Glen

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

1) Yes I use the runbook Activity in SM and if I create on the SSP a SR I see on the SM Console under " Service request Fulfillment" the Status of "in Progress" and after a few time I see the SR is failed but I see in the Work Items pane, expand Change Management, and then click All Change Requests, the same created SR on the SSP as "submitted". No I did not config items on the original SR that will be copied to the CR.

2) I did not do that. Do you mean here the "Relatedt Items or "Configuration Items(Computer, Service, People)?

If you have time to test it on your enviorement, it would help to know what I have done wrong.

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Nick

• Edited by mpng2008 Monday, December 19, 2016 9:57 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 9:30 PM
  • Hi

Give me a few days and I will create a lab to test this in. There must be a fairly simple explanation for the error and it bugs me not being able to fix it.

2. Yes that is where they would show up.

Glen

Monday, December 19, 2016 10:10 PM
  • Hi Glen,

Thank you for your offering to create a lab. I Just went again through the blog post and do the following:

Step 1)taked off the last two steps. After this I create on the Console a SR from my created Template, I did`t get this time any error. The SR is completed and the CR under All Change Request is as Status "Submitted".

Step 2) take off only the last step, it is working too and the result is like the step 1.

Step 3) follow exactly the link but this time I put in my SR Template under Tab "Related Items"--->Configuration Items:Computer,Services and People--->Add here a Computer from the list.

but it is failed in the last step with error code " is not an instance of class [Microsoft.Windows.Computer]."So I am note sure what and how should I bring the Configuration Items from the SR across to the CR?

I can wait until you have your lab.

Regards

Nick

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Hi

I have tested the Runbook and managed to get the same issue with a null value. Which was correct because I had not added a Windows Computer object to the SR. The last step expects to be given the GUID of a CI and it fails when it does not exist.

I am not sure what happened with Test 2 in your previous post, but it seems from the error that the CI in the template did not match the "Windows Computer" class. 

The last two steps are designed to bring the Configuration Items across to the CR, but they have to match and you have to know (or Control) what CI's are going to be on the SR.

The blog post was designed to show in general terms how to get a change created via the portal. The Runbook does not have any error checking in it and it assumes that your data types will match exactly. I also think that Nathan was using this as a guide only and that you will need modify it to meet your particular needs.

Do you need to have a computer object in the Change control? If so this could be part of the Request Offering where the user can pick what Configuration Item they are changing.

If the CI is not a Windows Computer object then you would need to change the Runbook to reflect this. The "Get Relationship" step explicitly uses Windows Computer.

Making the user input mandatory will allow you to always have an object. If it was not mandatory you could do a success and failure action in the Runbook to handle if a CI has been chosen or not. The lines can have critera applied to them and you can have a success line and a failure line from the Get Relationship step.

I think everything you have done so far is correct and you do have a CR at the end of it. You just need to decide what information you want in the CR.

• Will it be entered by the User on the portal
    • Will it be part of the Change Request Template
    • Will it be part of the Service Request Template

The Runbook steps need to match the data captured on the portal exactly or it has to have more smarts built into it to handle missing or incorrect data types.

Regards

Glen

Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:54 AM
  • Hi Glen,
    Thank you very much for your lab and testing and I appreciate it very much.
    I know now that the last two steps need CI. As I wrote you I have added on the Console in my SR the CI a Windows Computer but I did get the error is not an instance of class [Microsoft.Windows.Computer].
    Not sure what means the error, maybe it is not matched. I really don`t know what I exactly should I add in CI and especially where?
    In the RO I cannot find any option for CI? Perhaps I have I to create a new VIEW for RO. My Concept is that the User can create on the portal a CR. Here is my SR template and I added here a Windows Computer. 

Or it should be added under RB?

Did you try on your test lab to add a CI in the SR(Windows Computer)? What is the result of this? Have you got a error or it was succecfull?

My problem is I don`t know where I exactly to add a CI and what?

Regards

Nick

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Hi

I had trouble with adding a windows computer as well, but it was for other reasons and I did not get the same error as you.

This is just my opinion, but adding a CI to the template is OK for testing but does not work in a production sense for a change. There can only be one CI for all changes. It would seem better to allow the user making the portal request to pick the CI from a Query.

It also raises the question of what you want the CR to have filled out and what your workflow will be. For some customers they do not use the computer CI's on the CR. It is is a level of detail that they did not need. For others it was essential.

On the request offering you will ask questions to capture the information you want. Then the runbook needs to transfer that information to the Change Request. The information collected could include:

• Title of Change
    • Description of chnage
    • Dates of change
    • Downtime if any
    • Approvers for change
    • Teams that need to do the work

This data then would need to be transferred tot he Change Request or to the Review and Manual Activities on the Change Request. And as you have found out things have to match correctly or you will get errors.

Regards

Glen

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:57 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure whether I understand you what you write. On the RO I can see some options to ask user but not these

• Dates of change
    • Downtime if any
    • Approvers for change
    • Teams that need to do the work

Did you create a new RO as default RO? Could I ask you please did you try himself to do that what you wrote above?

Regards

Nick

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:01 PM
  • Hi

I would create a new RO and possibly multiple RO's if the data that needed to be collected was different.

You would ask questions and get the user to pick a date or use a query for the user to select a User or a simple list or MP Enumeration list for the teams that might do the work. Downtime would be a boolean checkbox.

You may need to extend the SR to store this data, although most could be stored in the default SR fields and the user would be a relationship that gets stored on the template SR Review Activity.

Example RO Questions:

Glen

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

My SR is an default SR and don`t change or edit the default SR. I can do that to collect more information but that resoved not my issue with CI and Windows computer with the Runbook

Anyway thanks again for help. I have no Idea how I can go on.

Regards

Nick

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:51 PM