Recycle Bin issue. RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason I keep getting two icons for the recycle bin on my desktop when I log in. I am logging in as a domain user on the domain dps2.local. One of the recycle bin icons is normal looking while the other looks faded out. I keep trying to delete the faded out second icon of the recycle bin but it keeps coming back as soon as I restart the machine and log back in. Anyone know about this? The PDC on the domain is a SBS2008 and there is some folder redirection going on with the My Documents folder. I did not set any of that up so I am confused as to why the two recycle bins.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:16 PM

Answers

• That sounds like the faded icon is a hidden file that is possibly coming from the all users account or something that is there because you are logged into the domain.

The file will be automatically recreated if it is deleted but you should be able to hide it.

Check your folder view settings.

Open an explorer window, click the Organize menu, click Folder and search options, and the View Tab.

Select Don't show hidden files... and check Hide protected operating system files

Click ok

If you intentionally had hidden files set to visible you may be stuck with looking at the hidden file. Desktop.ini is the one that usually pops up twice on my desktop, the Show hidden files setting is system wide in Windows 7.

• Marked as answer by S.e.p.y Friday, October 7, 2011 5:26 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the result when you unselect Recycle Bin in Desktop Icon settings?

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:05 AM
  • The result is that the recycle bin is down to one icon but it always appears as empty even if there is stuff in it.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:43 PM
  • That sounds like the faded icon is a hidden file that is possibly coming from the all users account or something that is there because you are logged into the domain.

The file will be automatically recreated if it is deleted but you should be able to hide it.

Check your folder view settings.

Open an explorer window, click the Organize menu, click Folder and search options, and the View Tab.

Select Don't show hidden files... and check Hide protected operating system files

Click ok

If you intentionally had hidden files set to visible you may be stuck with looking at the hidden file. Desktop.ini is the one that usually pops up twice on my desktop, the Show hidden files setting is system wide in Windows 7.

• Marked as answer by S.e.p.y Friday, October 7, 2011 5:26 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 5:20 AM