none
Have MS Windows XP key bought with netbook, how to re-installing? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a netbook 18 months ago. The netbook has had to be wiped clean and a friend has managed to boot the computer from a thumb drive. I have the product key from the back of the netbook. Everything came pre-installed. I have already used up the secret partition drive option. Now the only option to get my netbook back to work is to re-install Windows XP.  How can I obtain a copy with my product key, which came with the netbook? I don't want to buy another copy since I bought one with the netbook. What do you folks suggest?  I can get a hold of a external hard drive if need be, as the netbook doesn't have a cd rom drive. Many thanks in advance.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, August 29, 2011 2:23 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Genuine Advantage Offers - Eligibility Issues Forum)
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:32 PM

Answers

• "Kaash Parinda" wrote in message news:e85f20eb-287c-47fc-963f-e9013db15ffb...

I purchased a netbook 18 months ago. The netbook has had to be wiped clean and a friend has managed to boot the computer from a thumb drive. I have the product key from the back of the netbook. Everything came pre-installed. I have already used up the secret partition drive option. Now the only option to get my netbook back to work is to re-install Windows XP.  How can I obtain a copy with my product key, which came with the netbook? I don't want to buy another copy since I bought one with the netbook. What do you folks suggest?  I can get a hold of a external hard drive if need be, as the netbook doesn't have a cd rom drive. Many thanks in advance.

you can order a set of recovery disks from the manufacturer – it should cost less than $50. – They often come ready to create the necessary USB bootable drive.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, August 29, 2011 12:42 AM

All replies

• "Kaash Parinda" wrote in message news:e85f20eb-287c-47fc-963f-e9013db15ffb...

I purchased a netbook 18 months ago. The netbook has had to be wiped clean and a friend has managed to boot the computer from a thumb drive. I have the product key from the back of the netbook. Everything came pre-installed. I have already used up the secret partition drive option. Now the only option to get my netbook back to work is to re-install Windows XP.  How can I obtain a copy with my product key, which came with the netbook? I don't want to buy another copy since I bought one with the netbook. What do you folks suggest?  I can get a hold of a external hard drive if need be, as the netbook doesn't have a cd rom drive. Many thanks in advance.

you can order a set of recovery disks from the manufacturer – it should cost less than $50. – They often come ready to create the necessary USB bootable drive.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, August 29, 2011 12:42 AM
  • Thanks Noel. Too bad there is no way to "recover" without paying for the disks which sort of came with the netbook. I will check with the manufacturer tomorrow (ASUS) as I could not find a link to order on their website. Thanks again. 
    Monday, August 29, 2011 5:29 AM