none
DPM 2012 SP1 VM Recovery points failing RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning!

I am having a consistent error backing up my Virtual Machines to disk using DPM 2012 SP1 and Hyper-V.

Is there a way to limit the number of recovery points that will run at a time? I have over 40 VM's in a protection group that are all trying to run at the same time.

I'm getting the following error:

Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\SERVER
    Description: Recovery point creation jobs for Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\SERVER on server.host.domain.com have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 1.
     If the data source protected has some dependent data sources (like a SharePoint Farm), then click on the Error Details to view the list of dependent data sources for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)

DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: VssError:The shadow copy provider timed out while flushing data to the volume being shadow copied. This is probably due to excessive activity on the volume. Try again later when the volume is not being used so heavily.
     (0x80042313))
    More information
    Recommended action: Check the Application Event Log on HOST.WellDyneRx.com for the cause of the failure. Fix the cause and retry the operation.
    For more information on this error, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
    Create a recovery point...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
    Inactivate

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:54 AM

Answers

• I've figured this out. 

TO change amount of VM's backing up per CSV you need to change the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\2.0\Configuration\MaxAllowedParallelBackups

reg key to 1 instead of 3.

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:57 AM

All replies

• No information on this? 
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:49 PM
  • I've figured this out. 

TO change amount of VM's backing up per CSV you need to change the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\2.0\Configuration\MaxAllowedParallelBackups

reg key to 1 instead of 3.

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:57 AM