Am I able to change from Ultimate to Business once OS is installed? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to upgrade my version of Windows Vista Ultimate x64 to Windows 7 Professional x64, and am getting nowhere.

Apparently you can't do that upgrade. I used to work for DELL & have the license for both Vista Ultimate & Business.

I was wondering if there was any way to just re-enter the new Product Key & change the Edition while Ultimate is already installed on my system.

I tried going into SYSTEM & "Enter new Product Key", but I get the message: "The product key you have entered will not work with this version of Windows Vista. You must either run Vista setup or enter a Windows Vista Ultimate product key."

So, does this mean there's no way to change editions on the Fly?

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:49 AM

Answers

• If you currently have Windows Vista Ultimate edition installed, then the only way to install Windows 7 Professional edition is to perform a clean install which requires a reformat of the hard drive partition Windows Vista Ultimate edition is installed on.  A direct upgrade from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 would require the purchase of a retail upgrade version of Windows 7 Ultimate edition.

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:59 PM