Pre-staging applicaitons on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone I am a little new to App-V but I got everything setup and it runs beautifully.  When setting up a XP client I can logging as a user to cache all of the apps I want so they will be there ready when someone calls upon them.   But with Windows 7 and it's method of configuring the default user profile "Audit Mode" you cannot join a domain or login as a member of a domain.  How would I cache those same apps as I would on XP?

Thanks,

Jason O.

Friday, June 11, 2010 10:14 PM

Answers

• The cache is unique to each desktop and the behaviour between operating system version is the same - so you should be able to pre-cache the application in your image on Windows 7 just the same as Windows XP. 

Once the image is deployed and users logon, the client should connect to the App-V Management Server and add the shortcuts for those applications that the user is entitled to. Once the user then launches the application, it should then launch from cache.

You can add packages into the cache by one of two ways:

1. Logon with an account that is a member of the application groups, then open the App-V console and load each application to 100%

2. Use the SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE and SFTMIME LOAD PACKAGE commands

Again this works exactly the same way on each operating system - no difference between Windows XP and Windows 7. Additionally there should be no need to add anything to the default user profile.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

How are you distributing applications?

/Znack

Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Hello,

How are you distributing applications?

/Znack

Znack,

We are using the standard Application Virtualization method, not SCCM.  One server small test group.

Thanks,

Jason

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hello,

Not really sure on how you see caching differently in Win7 v WinXP from an app-v perspective?

/Znack
    Friday, June 18, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Znack,

I guess you need to know the differences when it comes to configuring the default user profile for XP and Windows 7 they are different. 

With windows 7 when configuring the default user you use Audit mode.  In this mode you are not able to join a domain or login with a domain account so you will not be able to login to cache apps before you pull the image. 

I have a contact that told me what they do and recommend that when I deploy Windows 7 with SCCM have it login with a account and then run a script that will reload the applications.

Thanks,
    Jason

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Hello,

Well... 

The cache file is placed within a common-directory (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%) which regardless of operating system and ways to configure the default user profile can be populated in advance. 

I am really not following where your problem is...? why would it matter how the default user profile is populated?

(again, I can't see the difference from a winxp vs win7 and any relevance the default user profile would have... - but then again you never specified how you "used todo it" and why that would impose a problem moving forward... so I am just guessing around of what you are trying to accomplish)

/Znack

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:42 AM
  • I am trying to cache a group soft software packages before I capture the image. 

With XP I can login with a domain account and cache them.  And I have been told works well.

With Windows 7 that is not possible. 

Thanks,

Jason

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:30 PM
  • The cache is unique to each desktop and the behaviour between operating system version is the same - so you should be able to pre-cache the application in your image on Windows 7 just the same as Windows XP. 

Once the image is deployed and users logon, the client should connect to the App-V Management Server and add the shortcuts for those applications that the user is entitled to. Once the user then launches the application, it should then launch from cache.

You can add packages into the cache by one of two ways:

1. Logon with an account that is a member of the application groups, then open the App-V console and load each application to 100%

2. Use the SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE and SFTMIME LOAD PACKAGE commands

Again this works exactly the same way on each operating system - no difference between Windows XP and Windows 7. Additionally there should be no need to add anything to the default user profile.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Aaron,

You guys are not understanding the problem!

When you are setting up Windows 7 using audit mode you cannot join a domain thus you are not able to login with an account that could cache the applications!  You guys should maybe read up on audit mode and figure out what it is.

Jason

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:37 PM
  • You could import the applications into the cache on a separate machine and copy the pre-configured cache into your image during build.

You can use the SFTMIME commands without the machine being a member of the domain (use a NET USE command to authenticate to the Content share first). Maybe read up on the SFTMIME command and figure out what it is: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc817090.aspx

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Hello,

Not really sure why there should be a limitation of why joining a domain isn't supported (if that is the route that _must_ be taken to for some odd reason....) in audit mode - simply do it while in audit mode. 

While previously building stuff in WinXP some customers required to join the domain and leave it again - I am not certain why this can't be applied to a win7 preperation?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799305(WS.10).aspx

Could you perhaps detail how you technically implemented this previously and where it fails when attempting this on Windows 7?

(the brief statement you made above doesn't really clarify any of that)

However, Aaron has it pretty much narrowed down to good options if proceeding with those.

/Znack

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:41 AM