none
Issue with OLAB Cube Reports. Database Server in VPC Private Subnet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Environment:

Deployed Project Server 2010 with 2 server Architecture( 1 for Web/Front end server and 1 for DB Server) on Amazon VPC. Web server is on Public subnet and Database server is on Private subnet.   

Issue:

We have sucessfully configured OLAP Cubes and able to view reports within the app server. But when we try to access the same reports over the internet site and outside of cloud domain, excel is not able to connect DB server using .odc connection and Pivot tables or data are not loading.

Solutions tried:

Opened all necessary ports in DB server for SQL Server-1433, Analysisc Service-2383 & 2382 and Browser Service - 1434. But still no luck.

So with this setup of Project Server, is it possible to access OLAP Cube reports out side of Cloud newtwork? If yes, how can we make this work?

Regards,

Ram

Thanks, Ram

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Ram,

Just to clarify, are you trying to access the excel reports in the browser or to open the excel file on client machine?

In a similar situation, I have configured one machine inside the cloud that was used to configure the excel reports (it had office installed). Then the users were just opening/refreshing the excel files/reports in the browser

Paul

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:05 PM
  • Hi Paul,

We are trying to opening excel on the client machine and then connect to DB using .odc file.

Thank you.

Thanks, Ram

Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:48 AM
  • Hi Ram,

I am not sure if it will work then as the client machine will try to find the Analysis Services(AS) server which is not available over the internet. You can try to open the needed ports through the firewall and configure a subdomain to point to your AS and this should be available over the internet (e.g. analysisServices.domain.com). However, this is a potential security breach and may be not be allowed by your company policies.

However, I would go with the option I mentioned in my previous answer as this way the users can run the reports and the reports can be configured using that cloud machine

Hope this helps

Paul

Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:31 AM
  • You are probably using a different URL when accessing the OLAP cube from Internet. Make sure that it is included in the Trusted Data Connections and Trusted File Location in the Excel Services.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, February 6, 2015 3:42 AM
  • Yes, we have gives Internet urls in the Trusted connection and trusted file location in Excel Services. However still same problem.

We found an interesting point here. ODC file path in the excel pointing to Intranet url insted on Internet url. Is it casuing problem?

Thanks, Ram

Monday, February 9, 2015 12:36 PM