none
Where do I find out how DPM handles standalone tape libraries? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using DPM 2012

I'm having trouble setting up what I think is a very simple thing. I have a backup tape drive. I'm backing up data that fully fits on one tape, but with all "short term protection" saved to disk in recovery points would take up more than one tape -- should we try to write all that.

I'd like to run a simple full backup of all data to tape (no need for saving multiple recovery points, just pick the most recent one) once per day. It should take 8-12 hours tops. I don't care when it runs. I want a weekly tape rotation cycle.

I have both short term protection to disk and long term proteciton to tape. Short term protection has a retention range of 3 days with recovery poirts at 12-noon and 6pm

Long term protection has a retention range of 1 week, and backups run daily M-F

I'm trying to swap tapes named for the day of the week but when I put in say a Wednesday tape backup jobs fail, not enough room on tape. I look at teh tape and it has 3 copies of every protection group computer volume listed with backups going back 3 weeks.

I'm not interested in manually marking tapes as free every morning I put them in. I just want it to overwrite whatever is on the tape when inserted and back up.

What am I missing?

The closest I can find in "documentation" is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff653493.aspx which doesn't say much

Steve Ware

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:35 PM

Answers

• HI,

The datasets written after the RU2 update and the registry setting applied should show that they expire at midnight.  Older datasets will show expiry time same as backup time.

As far as syntax is concerned, you can use the following example:

GET LIST OF LIBRARIES.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmlibrary -dpmserver mjlc-dpm2012 |format-list

Name                  : Library: Firestreamer Media Changer  <--COPY THIS FRIENDLY NAME
    Number of drives      : 5
    Number of slots       : 21
    Number of I/E ports   : 0
    Status                : Enabled
    Computer              : MJLC-DPM2012.mjacquet.com
    Door                  : Locked
    Barcode reader        : Available
    Autoloader            : Available
    Library serial number : L0CHGRC5D333CF9D51DF11806E00155
    Autoloader location   : Port 4, Bus 0, Target 0, Lun 0
    Protection groups     : DPMDB; ClusterFS

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> .\ForceFree-Tape.ps1 -dpmserver mjlc-dpm2012

cmdlet ForceFree-Tape.ps1 at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    LibraryName: Firestreamer Media Changer  <---PASTE IN FRIENDLY NAME
    TapeLocationList[0]: slot-13     <- SLOT NUMBER AS SEEN IN THE GUI
    TapeLocationList[1]:                <--CTRL+C TO CONTINUE
    Removing recovery point created at 07/07/2012 20:00:15 for tape in Slot-13.
    The operation will remove the following recovery point(s) because they have dependencies on each other:

Datasource 'DPMDB' on computer MJLC-DPM2012.mjacquet.com:

Saturday, July 07, 2012 8:00:15 PM
    Setting tape in Slot-13 as free.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Steve Ware Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:32 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Most likely the tape is not shown as expired before it's used again the following week, so we keep appending to it and eventually filling it.  This is fixed in the DPM 2012 rollup fix we just released, so install that and add the registry key.  It will take a full weeks backups before it will work as we need all old recovery points to expire using the old method before th new method will be honored.

Description of Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2706783

See DPM Issue 9

Tapes are marked as reusable on the next day after the date of expiry as DPM runs a reclamation job only at midnight. If you want the tape to be reusable on the same date as it is expired, create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32- bit DWORD, and set its value to 1 under the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Got it. Thanks for the quick response. We'll try that.

Steve Ware

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:59 PM
  • I'm not sure I did this right. It doesn't seem to have made any difference. When I got to Help >> About Data Protection Manager I see I'm on version 4.0.1915.0. I think that matches update rollup 2.

I got a notice that agents need an update and I applied those without error.

However my backup is failing today. When I view tape contents I see things backed up 7/3/2012, 7/4/2012, 7/24/2012, etc. all of which report an "Expires On" exactly one week later.

However today's backup job fails. I get e-mail alerts that say things like "Job requires tape that is not available in the library"

I remember you saying something about needing all old protection groups to expire but the most recent one is today 7/31/2012, shouldn't it expire today?

I figure I'll just reset the tape but I cannot "mark tape as free" (after killing the stalled tape jobs) because "they belong to protection groups"

I don't really care about what is on the tape from 1-4 weeks ago, I want TODAYs data backed up so I try to erase the tape and I'm told I have to use ForceFree-Tape.ps1 -- who's arguments make no sense to me. I have exactly one standalone tape drive and I'm not sure how to identify the "library" or all the rest.

Maybe I Just need to wait until tomorrow when all protection groups expire on the tape but is it really necessary to spend 30-60 minutes learning a new set of powershell commands and object identifers to simply erase a tape?

Surely I'm missing something rediculously obvious?

Steve Ware

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:45 PM
  • HI,

The datasets written after the RU2 update and the registry setting applied should show that they expire at midnight.  Older datasets will show expiry time same as backup time.

As far as syntax is concerned, you can use the following example:

GET LIST OF LIBRARIES.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmlibrary -dpmserver mjlc-dpm2012 |format-list

Name                  : Library: Firestreamer Media Changer  <--COPY THIS FRIENDLY NAME
    Number of drives      : 5
    Number of slots       : 21
    Number of I/E ports   : 0
    Status                : Enabled
    Computer              : MJLC-DPM2012.mjacquet.com
    Door                  : Locked
    Barcode reader        : Available
    Autoloader            : Available
    Library serial number : L0CHGRC5D333CF9D51DF11806E00155
    Autoloader location   : Port 4, Bus 0, Target 0, Lun 0
    Protection groups     : DPMDB; ClusterFS

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> .\ForceFree-Tape.ps1 -dpmserver mjlc-dpm2012

cmdlet ForceFree-Tape.ps1 at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    LibraryName: Firestreamer Media Changer  <---PASTE IN FRIENDLY NAME
    TapeLocationList[0]: slot-13     <- SLOT NUMBER AS SEEN IN THE GUI
    TapeLocationList[1]:                <--CTRL+C TO CONTINUE
    Removing recovery point created at 07/07/2012 20:00:15 for tape in Slot-13.
    The operation will remove the following recovery point(s) because they have dependencies on each other:

Datasource 'DPMDB' on computer MJLC-DPM2012.mjacquet.com:

Saturday, July 07, 2012 8:00:15 PM
    Setting tape in Slot-13 as free.

• Marked as answer by Steve Ware Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:32 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:44 PM
  • I think I figured it out with your help. Thanks for the powershell command quick-reference.

Steve Ware

Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:32 PM