Calculated field people picker RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have a calculated field retrieve a persons department from a people editor field or will this function need to be programmed?

Monday, August 10, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• I don't think a calculated field can source off of a people and group field.
    It'll need to be programmed.  You would want to have a new field to hold the department.  And then you can populate that field in an event handler, workflow, custom form code reading from the User Profile of the selected user.

The people editor doesn't even do that.  The department is a property from the user profile.  The people editor by default displays the full name of the person selected not their department.

Are you maybe thinking of an entity picker control instead. A Business Data field?
    • Marked as answer by GreenWaterBoy Monday, August 10, 2009 5:57 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:54 PM

All replies

• I don't think a calculated field can source off of a people and group field.
    It'll need to be programmed.  You would want to have a new field to hold the department.  And then you can populate that field in an event handler, workflow, custom form code reading from the User Profile of the selected user.

The people editor doesn't even do that.  The department is a property from the user profile.  The people editor by default displays the full name of the person selected not their department.

Are you maybe thinking of an entity picker control instead. A Business Data field?
    • Marked as answer by GreenWaterBoy Monday, August 10, 2009 5:57 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Aight thanks.  Just thought I would post and check if it was possible.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:57 PM