Windows 7 and the battery error "consider replacing your battery" (Part 8) RRS feed

All replies

• I was just silently reading all above posts related to Windows 7 "Consider replacing your battery" error, My notebook HP 6730s with Windows Ultimate 7 X64 was running fine before last shutdown, now it's giving me the same red cross check on battery icon with the same error message "Consider replace your battery", i also have sent an e-mail to WPE@microsoft.com , powercfg energy test is as followed:

Battery:Last Full Charge (%)
    The battery stored less than 40% of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged.
    Battery ID 02992 2009/01/16Hewlett-PackardPrimary
    Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 16492
    Last Full Charge (%) 34

any Expert advice for me ?
    Muhammad Awais Shabbir
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Forget any help from Microsoft man, they'll tell you the same like me : Go to the shop and buy a new battery, do you like Windows ? so give the money !!!

I decided to show my computer in informatic shop, ant the man tell me that he had many guys who come with the same problem...

And there is no solution in this moment because Microsoft refused to do something, Windows 7 is not open source so nobody can modify it ...

Only we can spend money to keep another battery and after few months we'll have the same problem ...

Cool no  ?
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:57 PM
  • I am (aswell) reading this for a long time already and never intended to post but: my Thinkpad X30`s brand new battery died just a couple of days after I switched to Windows 7. I bought another one (to replace the broken one) and it happend AGAIN(at least the capacity went down to sg like 20%).  I am using Thinkpads for a LONG time already and never had any issues with batteries dying that fast. I am now not letting my x60s run on battery because I am simply afraid for it to happen again ...
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:19 AM
  • I purchased a new battery and installed it. no red X, no problems... will keep posted....
    Friday, March 5, 2010 1:56 AM
  • I contaced MS as their engineers said in earlier posts, and now have a good dialogue with them :)
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:08 AM
  • i am on the same boat, just few days after installing windows 7 ultimate. i am getting the message. my machine is dell m1330. I tot it was time for my battery to retire.. looks like it is not the case.
    my battery was going perfectly strong during Vista.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:54 AM
  • Hi Muhammad and for all others,

It's just a notify your battery will not opperate the same ammount of time that it was designed for.

When the redcross apears in the battery pictogram we just have to deal with this it's not a big thing really.

Actually i like it cause now i know my battery will run out within a hour.

Except voor the people who's battery isn't confirmed and may get.

Design Capacity 0
    Last Full Charge 0
    Last Full Charge (%) 0
    But then again you know that this isn't a battery error the acpi or windows just doesn't know what type of battery it is.

You can also use everest to see the power management and the charging proces.

So my advice is only change your battery if you really need more battery time then you have now.

And in my case a hour is enough for now.

greets
    Friday, March 5, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Hi everyone.

To answer this question, from a post on "Part 7":

"How many people have bought new laptops with windows 7 that have had battery problems? I am about to recommend some new machines for some friends, but I'm apprehensive since this is such big issue.

I know this is more of an issue for upgraded laptops, but the previous post is the only new laptop that I have seen with the issue."

Here is my answer:
    About two months ago, I bought a brand new ASUS UL30A, Windows 7 Home Premium preinstalled.
    Got home, took an image of the drive, and as soon as you could say "bye bye 7", I installed XP (at that time I was not aware of the battery problems, I only took 7 off and installed XP out of habit, I guess)
    I used it like that for about one month... using BatteryBar, let me tell you about two parameters:
    1) the "Full Lifetime" parameter indicated about 8:30 hours. Please pay attention, I am not speaking about the time the operating system reports, but about the value that BatteryBar reported after about one or two days of learning and settling down. It was a very good estimate, the computer actually running for that amount of time on one battery charge.
    2) the "Battery Wear" parameter never got above 0.5% , not even after one month of usage.
    After one month, I decided to give Windows 7 a try. So, I ran the system restoration utility from the DVD and the computer was as good as new, with Windows 7, as it came from the store. No upgrade, no standalone installation, just the restoration provided by the manufacturer.
    Among other programs, I installed BatteryBar on it. The parameters specified above were reporting THE SAME VALUES .
    After about one week (during which I stopped checking what BatteryBar reported), I happened to stumble across an article on www.tomshardware.com about the battery problems with Windows 7. If I remember correctly, that article had a link to another article on computerworld, which in turn had a link to this thread. But never mind the links... :)
    Anyway, after spending some time reading this thread, I checked the parameters from BatteryBar again. And what a big surprise:
    1) the "Full Lifetime" parameter indicated about 7:30 hours, that is ONE HOUR LESS than Windows XP.
    2) the "Battery Wear" parameter indicated 10% wear.
    All that in one week of using Windows 7!
    No need to say I immediatelly switched back to XP. Unfortunately, the battery wear did not disappear, though after a few recharge cycles it dropped down to about 7-8%. Right now, as I am writing this, Battery Bar reports the following:
    1) "Full Lifetime" - 7:50 hours
    2) "Battery Wear" - 7.1%

To make a long story short, YES , it does happen to NEW laptops as well, which came PREINSTALLED with Windows 7.
    If it only took one week for Windows 7 to shave 10% off my battery life, it is not hard to figure out how quickly I would have been in other people's situation, had I not switched back to XP.
    Now I am afraid of restoring Windows 7 on this laptop, simply because I do not want to have to argue with the Asus service about changing my battery.

Microsoft, please do not try to explain to me that the computer had an old battery:
    1) The model itself is pretty new;
    2) Running XP for one month got me 8:30 hours of battery life, which dropped almost instantly by one hour, right after restoring Windows 7 to the very same shape that came form the manufacturer.
    3) This XP time is not an estimation made by Windows XP itself, it is a time interval measured with the BatteryBar software and backed up by real life measurements.
    4) Going back to the same XP installation (I took an image of the XP drive right before restoring Windows 7) the problem was not fixed, so the damage to the battery is obviously permanent.

Also, Microsoft, please do not ask me to restore Windows 7 and give you more details. That wonderful operating system, which unfortunately has this huge problem with power management, will not be restored on my laptop until:
    1) You admit there is a problem, figure out how to solve it and provide a fix;
    2) A significant number of people on this thread report that the above mentioned fix ACTUALLY SOLVES the problem.

Sorry for the long post, but I tried to provide as much information as possible, to show Microsoft that this issue is not a figment of our (collective?) imagination.
    I will end here, but not before mentioning that I am aware of the same problem on two other laptops, belonging to some friends of mine:
    1) A Sony Vaio, originally with Vista, battery life (real, measured, etc, not only reported) about 4:30 hours. After installing Windows 7 -> 45 minutes.
    2) A Lenovo laptop, originally with Vista, battery life (real, measured, etc, not only reported) about 2:30 hours. After installing Windows 7 -> ~30 minutes.

Microsoft, how hard can it be for a huge company such as yourself to solve this problem? It is really beyond my comprehension...
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:12 PM
  • ATTENTION ALL:

As I stated yesterday I received my NEW battery from HP... All went well, X went away and I have got 3 hours of battery life... I have installed BatterBar as a user above posted. (Great Program!)

But wait.....

Now my NEW battery that I plugged in YESTERDAY now has a wear level of 28% IN ONE DAY!

SO Microsoft, please explain to me are you telling me the battery I JUST received YESTERDAY and plugged in now has a wear level of 28% in one day?

I am going to allow Windows 7 to keep running on my new battery as proof and by the end of the month when my 30 day old NEW battery has a wear level of 95% just like my last battery then Microsoft can tell me that my battery needed to be replaced again.

Microsoft I suggest you stop making excuses and deal with this because now i'm just laughing. My new battery has a warrenty of 1 year and will be destroyed by next month LOL.

I can't wait until we all get paid!! $$$$$$
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:27 PM
  • LOL MICROSOFT, I just went to my laptop to check it now and now it's 32 wear level % in 4 hours!

Forget the 30 day flow chat it's going to be a 24 hour chart!

Who wants to race to see how fast Windows 7 can destroy their batteries???

EDIT:

Only 8% more util i get the "consider replacing your battery" on a less then 2 day old battery.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:38 PM
  • I just went to my laptop to check it now and now it's 32 wear level % in 4 hours!
    This is horrendous!

LOL Roland, I bet W7 is the best way around to kill a battery as fast as possible (well, not considering a hammer).

Please Microsoft, reply to the previous post! I'm dying to hear what you have to say about that!
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:18 PM
  • hey katie? this is redonkulous.

Edit: I have been doing powercfg - energy everyday and recording all my results!
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

same problem here. I'm using Compaq 6710b, upgraded from Windows Vista to 7 and now my battery charging level is 40% and when I unplug it only runs for ca 5 minutes. Before installing W7 I could use my laptop at least 100 minutes.

Come on W7 programmers, fix it!

Waiting for solution...
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Hello,

I'm facing a similar problem. i upgraded my Sony Vaio Z 690 (bought in october/09) from Vista to 7 and my battery life dropped from 7 hours (with personalized specifications) to a maximum of 3.5 hours. Detail: i bought a large capacity battery, and paid $ 100 extra for it!

no message asking to replace my battery appears, but i am very disppointed about this, as i paid for a large capacity battery with the purpose of not having to take my charger everywhere. now i have to take it with me and carry extra weight, as the battery is larger.

remebering that i saw many times in ads about 7 that the battery life would be increased with this new os................

waiting for a solution...
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Well everyone for those that don't know...

Windows 7 IS destroying the batteries PERMANENTLY.

I didn't think so either until it destroyed my battery totally. and now that i have purchased a new one, same thing, its getting destroyed as the days go by.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 6:14 PM
  • I saw something strange happening while i was watching my fully depleted battery getting charged in Everest it went to about Current MAX Capacity 35312 mWh its said 100% a few seconds later it stopt charging, laptop bat went to green and suddenly it dropt to Current MAX Capacity 21312 mWh (100 %)

What the h*ll

Where the Designed MAX Capacity is 71040 mWh

This is very strange because i already saw the Current MAX Capacity 21312 mWh earlier.

Why did it charge a few minutes more passed 21312 mWh and then dropping back to 21312 mWh (100 %)

or there is something wrong with the diagnose
    or there is something wrong with the loading interpretion
    or there is something wrongsaving the max loading capacity etc.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:01 PM
  • I don't want to defense MS here, it may just come as a side effect. It looks like the problem is on the hw vendors / driver side, but not triggered on XP (because of less power management features would be my guess). I'd also say it's related to high drains aka short battery spans.

During my last train trave I've got a 47W (!) drain from my new Lenovos W500 battery. Powertop and battery life confirmed that. I've just disabling the export of the switchable graphics to the OS and turned the dedicated ATI off and I'm back to < 15W, which is a quite good value.

Now add some gaming to this misbehavior and you'll be able to exceed the expected maximum drain by 10-20W, pushing your battery beyond it's limits. I'll send out some warnings to our company employees to check their battery lifes and adjust their bios as needed.

So no, this is not M$ but some wired HW/platform designed to be smart (switchable) but horribly misbehaving (running both cards) in some cases.... Blaming the OS is wrong, too. It really really looks like the hw platform vendor has to do some extra homeworks...
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 10:14 PM
  • ATTENTION ALL:

As I stated yesterday I received my NEW battery from HP... All went well, X went away and I have got 3 hours of battery life... I have installed BatterBar as a user above posted. (Great Program!)

But wait.....

Now my NEW battery that I plugged in YESTERDAY now has a wear level of 28% IN ONE DAY!

SO Microsoft, please explain to me are you telling me the battery I JUST received YESTERDAY and plugged in now has a wear level of 28% in one day?

I am going to allow Windows 7 to keep running on my new battery as proof and by the end of the month when my 30 day old NEW battery has a wear level of 95% just like my last battery then Microsoft can tell me that my battery needed to be replaced again.

Microsoft I suggest you stop making excuses and deal with this because now i'm just laughing. My new battery has a warrenty of 1 year and will be destroyed by next month LOL.

I can't wait until we all get paid!! $$$$$$

Window7 is a poison to our property. This is the exactly case.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Update! Now the wear level of my battery is 33% wear level. (since Thursday night when I took it out of the box and installed the brand new OEM batt from HP).... the wear level seems to be going up higher and higher after every full discharge/recharge..

This is a HP pavilion dv9000 model laptop with a OEM 8 Cell battery.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 3:52 AM
  • Your battery will be dead within next 3-4 days...
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:50 AM
  • I have a Dell m1530 and bought W7 64bit on the day of release to install on it. I had just bought a new battery as dell were advising to do so under their default battery monitor software (I later found out it tells you this when you reach 50% wear) so when I installed W7 it was pretty much new (Battery Bar showed a wear of about 1.2/% after I had installed W7 and installed this application to replace the Dell utility that wouldn't work under 64bit)

Now since October this Battery is now showing 68.5% wear. Thats what about 13% a month. I have also been using the original battery and thats now showing 75% wear.

The strange thing is if I turn the computer off myself BEFORE Windows auto shuts down the wear doesn't change but if Windows shuts itself down the Battery Wear increases by between 6% and 15%.

For example as I said I had been using my original battery along with the new one. I was shutting the laptop down manually when the remaining time got to 10mins and the wear had been fine. However on Friday I wasn't paying attention and it shut itself down and upon plugging it in and loading it back up I was getting the dreaded red cross in W7.  Battery bar showed the wear had gone from 55% to 67%. I charged it up and but then using it yesterday I forgot to turn the power on and it again shut down. Upon turning the power on it was now showing 75% wear.

So in my eyes Windows is destroying the Battery somehow during the automatica shut down process
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 1:42 PM
  • So no, this is not M$ but some wired HW/platform designed to be smart (switchable) but horribly misbehaving (running both cards) in some cases.... Blaming the OS is wrong, too. It really really looks like the hw platform vendor has to do some extra homeworks...

I do not agree on that. It has been detailled quite well here that there is likely a flaw in the Windows battery management, mixing up some battery parameters and thus maybe (indirectly) changes battery information.

Another thing that I noticed using Windows 7 SDK performance tool is that the Window decorator stuff may be the cause for huge wattage peaks. It's actually not the wdm.exe process that peaks up but the actual process that has the window focus so to say, but here is the thing: Even simple things like a window dimming effects, moving windows, or slow scrolling on non-media-centric web sites causes power consumption to increase to twice of what it consumes under XP and even Linux.
    It may have to do with the new WARP 10 layer that emulates Direct X 10 for non direct x 10 enabled GPUs. Maybe it consumes therefore much CPU power, or it is the graphics card. Or nothing of that at all...

So my best (wild) guess is that the problem is a combination of two things: There are occassional high power drains, which is not good for batteries. And there is a flaw in the battery management, which alters battery parameters.

On the other hand, I think it's very unlikely that the vendors are at vault: This problem affects a diverse variety of hardware, different BIOSes, CPUs, chipsets, battery types, etc. Yet, the only common denominator seems to be Windows 7.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Yet, the only common denominator seems to be Windows 7.
    Rectification : Yet, the only common denominator IS Windows 7.

I tested that the battery's problem doesn't exist with Vista and Ubuntu Linux !!!
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 2:41 PM
  • I've noticed the same behavior as Wakey posted just above.

When I fully drain the laptop battery, the battery life is impacted by a couple %.

When I let the battery drain down to a few percent remaining (i.e. before the laptop shuts off I plug it back in), the wear percentage on the battery has remained pretty constant over the last couple weeks.

So, back in January the remaining % on the battery was 34%, then after several full discharges to calibrate the battery it went down to 17%, and now over the last few weeks I'm holding somewhat steady at 15%.

The laptop remains plugged in the vast majority of the time which is generally not a good thing, but I'm on a 10 month old HP with 15% remaining on my battery.  My parents have a 2.5 year old HP notebook that has remained plugged in most of the time and the battery wear is about the same 15% as my notebook.  They have been running Vista.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 2:45 PM
  • LOL MICROSOFT, I just went to my laptop to check it now and now it's 32 wear level % in 4 hours!

Forget the 30 day flow chat it's going to be a 24 hour chart!

EDIT:

Only 8% more util i get the "consider replacing your battery" on a less then 2 day old battery.

Hi Roland;

My name is Chris.  I am an employee of Microsoft working with our hardware partners and trying to reproduce issues as reported in this newsgroup.  I see that you say the new battery you purchased has a 32% degradation in one day.

Can you please check a couple values for me:
    1) The Design Capacity as reported by the BIOS.  You can use any third-party utility or the “powercfg –energy” command in Windows to obtain this value.
    2) The Design Capacity as physically reported on the back of the battery.

Also, can you please let me know the serial number on your original battery AND on your replacement battery?

Thanks,
    Chris
    wpe@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Hello,

I'm facing a similar problem. i upgraded my Sony Vaio Z 690 (bought in october/09) from Vista to 7 and my battery life dropped from 7 hours (with personalized specifications) to a maximum of 3.5 hours. Detail: i bought a large capacity battery, and paid $ 100 extra for it!

no message asking to replace my battery appears, but i am very disppointed about this, as i paid for a large capacity battery with the purpose of not having to take my charger everywhere. now i have to take it with me and carry extra weight, as the battery is larger.

remebering that i saw many times in ads about 7 that the battery life would be increased with this new os................

waiting for a solution...

Hi Jairo,
    My name is Chris.  I am an employee of Microsoft working with our hardware partners and trying to reproduce issues as reported in this newsgroup.  What you report below looks like a battery life issue related to the power management settings or your computer's configuration of devices/drivers. 

Can you please confirm a couple things for me?

1) Do you have any drivers not found as reported in Device Manager (yellow exclamation marks in a triangle).
    2) Do you have any errors as reported after running “powercfg –energy”?

1. Close any open applications
    2. Open an "elevated" Command shell prompt (Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator)
    3. Type powercfg /energy and let it run against your battery
    4. The script will create a file called 'energy-report.html' in the directory you ran it from (usually C:\Windows\system32) where you can see any identified errors

If you have any questions or would like me to take a look at your energy-report.html please contact me at wpe@microsoft.com.

Thanks,
    Chris

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:18 PM
  • I have a Dell m1530 and bought W7 64bit on the day of release to install on it. I had just bought a new battery as dell were advising to do so under their default battery monitor software (I later found out it tells you this when you reach 50% wear) so when I installed W7 it was pretty much new (Battery Bar showed a wear of about 1.2/% after I had installed W7 and installed this application to replace the Dell utility that wouldn't work under 64bit)

Now since October this Battery is now showing 68.5% wear. Thats what about 13% a month. I have also been using the original battery and thats now showing 75% wear.

The strange thing is if I turn the computer off myself BEFORE Windows auto shuts down the wear doesn't change but if Windows shuts itself down the Battery Wear increases by between 6% and 15%.

For example as I said I had been using my original battery along with the new one. I was shutting the laptop down manually when the remaining time got to 10mins and the wear had been fine. However on Friday I wasn't paying attention and it shut itself down and upon plugging it in and loading it back up I was getting the dreaded red cross in W7.  Battery bar showed the wear had gone from 55% to 67%. I charged it up and but then using it yesterday I forgot to turn the power on and it again shut down. Upon turning the power on it was now showing 75% wear.

So in my eyes Windows is destroying the Battery somehow during the automatica shut down process

Hi Wakey87433;
    My name is Chris.  I am an employee of Microsoft working with our hardware partners and trying to reproduce issues as reported in this forum.  Your case is very interesting as we have many, many XPS M1530 and M1530s systems exhibiting great battery life with Windows 7.

Could you get me a few more pieces of information, so we can better understand what might be happening here?:

1. The details of your original battery, including all make/model/serial number information off the back of your old battery
    2. The details of your new battery, including all make/model/serial number information off the back of your new battery
    3. The Design Capacity and Last Full Charge information, as reported by running a "powercfg" energy report from an elevated command line. 
    • Close any open applications
    • Open an "elevated" Command shell prompt (Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator)
    • Type powercfg /energy and let it run against your battery
    • The script will create a file called 'energy-report.html' in the directory you ran it from (usually C:\Windows\system32) where you can see any identified errors

You can send me this info at wpe@microsoft.com and please let me know your TechNet forum name.

Thanks,
    Chris

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:31 PM

I tested that the battery's problem doesn't exist with Vista and Ubuntu Linux !!!

Hello Dragao13;

My name is Chris.  I am an employee of Microsoft working with our hardware partners and trying to reproduce issues as reported in this newsgroup.  I have read your earlier posts to the forum and would like to better understand your scenario.  If I understand correctly, your system is Compaq Presario CQ71 and is appx. 3 months old, correct? And your battery is showing the "Consider replacing..." message.  Is this alos correct?

I am interested in knowing if you could share the details and methodology your are using for testing that these batteries do not fail on Vista or Ubuntu Linux (above)?  Also, could you please include your laptop model details (the CQ71-????) and any other pertinent system details, as well as your specific battery model and serial number?  Thanks in advance!

Lastly, have you considered returning your battery under warranty since the problem showed up less than 2 months after purchase?

--Chris [MSFT]

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:42 PM
  • I've noticed the same behavior as Wakey posted just above.

When I fully drain the laptop battery, the battery life is impacted by a couple %.

When I let the battery drain down to a few percent remaining (i.e. before the laptop shuts off I plug it back in), the wear percentage on the battery has remained pretty constant over the last couple weeks.

So, back in January the remaining % on the battery was 34%, then after several full discharges to calibrate the battery it went down to 17%, and now over the last few weeks I'm holding somewhat steady at 15%.

The laptop remains plugged in the vast majority of the time which is generally not a good thing, but I'm on a 10 month old HP with 15% remaining on my battery.  My parents have a 2.5 year old HP notebook that has remained plugged in most of the time and the battery wear is about the same 15% as my notebook.  They have been running Vista.

Hi Newjones;
    My name is Chris.  I am an employee of Microsoft working with our hardware partners and trying to reproduce issues as reported in this forum.  Can you please provide me with some additional detail regarding your system?

First, please confirm the model of your HP laptop and the information on the back of the battery (battery model and serial number)

It also looks like your parents have a failed battery on an HP system running Windows Vista.  Can you please provide the laptop model information and battery model/serial number for this system as well? 

What was your parents experience on Vista with this battery?  Did they notice it failing slowly or suddenly?  I assume their battery life is significantly degraded at this point compared to new?  Are you able to use a third-party battery utility to measure the Design Capacity and compare it to the Design Capacity physically reported on the back of the battery?

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:49 PM
    "The laptop remains plugged in the vast majority of the time which is generally not a good thing..."

Hi newjones;

BTW – I’m curious why you feel leaving your system "plugged in" is "not a good thing"?  Did HP indicate this somewhere in their laptop documentation?  The embedded controller and charging circuitry is designed to stop charging your battery as soon as it reports it has reached a full charge.   The wear on your battery is determined by charge cycles, as measured by a complete charge cycle worth of discharge/charge.  In other words, five 20% depletions to 80% and back to 100% is roughly equal to one complete cycle.  Most lithium-ion batteries are nominally rated for 700 to 1,000 full cycles before failure.

--Chris [MSFT] 

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Hiya I would also like to report this issue on 2 acer 6935g Laptops which I purchased in November. I installed windows 7, had the issue, changed the battery within a week the issue was back on the new battery... Again changed the battery - gone back to vista. It's been a month now and it's still fine. For the battery to fail within a few days on 2 occasions under 7 and never vista shows to me a clear problem.

Why have MS made no progress on this yet? It's starting to become annoying and very costly.

• Proposed as answer by ManosTH Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anthony_Mann Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Greetings from Athens!

I have a Toshiba Tecra M10-11U and seems to have the same problem! I used Vista Business for almost a year and the battery was just excellent. When I installed W7 and after a week (maybe less) using the new OS the known message appeared! Since then, the battery working time is getting less and less...

The problem is certainly not new and is also unfair to blame the hardware, especially when we discuss for OS issues. MS people consider that we are not idiots, we can understand and judge, we have used other OSs and understand very well the situation. If MS does not want to lose some thousands of customers then it should have the issue fixed.

I DO NOT WANT MY LAPTOP TO BECAME A DESKTOP WORKING ONLY AC PLUGGED.

Please understand that our computers are valuable tools! PLEASE HELP!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:43 PM

Hello Dragao13;

My name is Chris.  I am an employee of Microsoft working with our hardware partners and trying to reproduce issues as reported in this newsgroup.  I have read your earlier posts to the forum and would like to better understand your scenario.  If I understand correctly, your system is Compaq Presario CQ71 and is appx. 3 months old, correct? And your battery is showing the "Consider replacing..." message.  Is this alos correct?

I am interested in knowing if you could share the details and methodology your are using for testing that these batteries do not fail on Vista or Ubuntu Linux (above)?  Also, could you please include your laptop model details (the CQ71-????) and any other pertinent system details, as well as your specific battery model and serial number?  Thanks in advance!

Lastly, have you considered returning your battery under warranty since the problem showed up less than 2 months after purchase?

--Chris [MSFT]

Chris,

As a retailer of Laptop AC Adapters and Batteries, I have been keeping a very close eye on this thread.
    Over the past couple of years we have had a return rate on batteries of less that 1%. Over the past month or so that has increased to almost 5%, with the only common denominator being complaints from windows 7 users.
    Now what I want to know is where you get off telling people to simple return their battery under warranty. Please tell my why I should be paying for something that is clearly Microsoft's ____ up.
    A warranty is for manufacturer defects, somethings that Microsoft clearly know nothing about and NOT for defects caused by third party software or hardware.

This is not a problem that is effecting just my batteries, but batteries of various makes and models, compatible batteries and OEM batteries on various makes and models of laptops. So why doesn't Microsoft stop hiding behind your technical <expletive removed> and admit that there is obviously a problem and get it fixed.

When you have eventually found your problem and eventually solved it, I wonder if you would be so kind as to compensate me for my losses due to all the batteries I have had to replace, due to your operating system destroying them.
    • Edited by Anthony_Mann Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:39 PM expletive removed
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:14 PM
    Chris,

As a retailer of Laptop AC Adapters and Batteries, I have been keeping a very close eye on this thread.
    Over the past couple of years we have had a return rate on batteries of less that 1%. Over the past month or so that has increased to almost 5%, with the only common denominator being complaints from windows 7 users.
    Now what I want to know is where you get off telling people to simple return their battery under warranty. Please tell my why I should be paying for something that is clearly Microsoft's ____ up.
    A warranty is for manufacturer defects, somethings that Microsoft clearly know nothing about and NOT for defects caused by third party software or hardware.

This is not a problem that is effecting just my batteries, but batteries of various makes and models, compatible batteries and OEM batteries on various makes and models of laptops. So why doesn't Microsoft stop hiding behind your technical bullshit and admit that there is obviously a problem and get it fixed.

When you have eventually found your problem and eventually solved it, I wonder if you would be so kind as to compensate me for my losses due to all the batteries I have had to replace, due to your operating system destroying them.

E.Coleman,

Please contact me at WPE@microsoft.com, so we can work with you to understand your situation with higher than normal return rates.  This will certainly help us narrow our investigation, as we do not currently have any other retailers, hardware partners or battery vendors indicating this trend in their channel. 

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Hiya I would also like to report this issue on 2 acer 6935g Laptops which I purchased in November. I installed windows 7, had the issue, changed the battery within a week the issue was back on the new battery... Again changed the battery - gone back to vista. It's been a month now and it's still fine. For the battery to fail within a few days on 2 occasions under 7 and never vista shows to me a clear problem.

Why have MS made no progress on this yet? It's starting to become annoying and very costly.

Ukhardy07,

I am a Microsoft employee investigating issues reported in this forum.  Could you please contact me at WPE@microsoft.com so we can take steps to reproduce the issues you are having? 

Chris [MSFT]

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Hi, same problem for me...My laptop is an Acer 1654WLMI, I'm running under Windows 7 Professional and the battery lasts about 20 minutes. Before Windows 7 I always used Windows XP, about 2 hours of battery! Now my laptop is a desktop, I'm unable to use it without AC plugged in. I hope you'll find soon a solution...Andrea
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:00 AM
  • I have an issue with an Acer 6935g, but it's even stranger than Ukhardy07's ... After installing my brand new copy of 7 professional 64 bit I got no strange warning message but there was no way to have the OS recognize or see the battery (it did with Vista) even if everything worked apparently OK. Even stranger, my laptop can't
    see the battery even when it's shut off and plugged to power, so there's no way to recharge. I bought a brand new battery and nothing changed. I tried different bios versions from Acer but no luck at all. Having a good laptop and using it as a desktop is quite annoying :=(
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Hi, same problem for me...My laptop is HP Pavillion DV 2500,
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Hello All, I had the same problem with my Gateway's Laptop, reading the answers here I decided to do some changes to my system and for now is working, in fact i'm writing this while I'm testing the battery and I dont' have the message to replace my battery for now.

My system had been working with the battery for almost 40 minutes and looks great.

I'll try to explain the steps I follow.

First I disabled the Battery With ACPI Compatibility 3 or 4 days ago.
    Today I first ran "C:\Windows\System32\control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting" in the section  System and Security I found and option to improve the use of energy, sorry if I can't say exactly wich optiobut my system is in spanish and I don't know how could be shown in english but is the only option that says something about energy, in the first screen you clic on advanced options and just make sure that the option showed to apply the fixes automattically is selected, then yo clic on next and wait for the results, this wizard found some problems and I applied the fix suggested.

After this I Get and old version for my chipset compatible with Windows Vista and installed it, and the last thing I did was to enable the Battery with ACPI Compatibility.

When I did it I immediatly noticed that the message to replace my battery was gone and I decided to unplug my laptop and probe the battery and I shouldtell you that riight now that the indicator says that I still have 98% of the battery after almost 1 hour.

At this point I should say that I did't restart my Laptop after the changes I did.

Well, I'll keep Testing and If it keeps working I'll let you know, or you could try andlet my know if this works for you. And please forgive me if me english is not enough to explain myself.
    • Edited by Alexdro Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:21 AM Final comment.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Chris,

Here's the info you requested:

HP DV4-1313dx (AMD Turion X2, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Radeon 3200, DVD Writer) Purchased April 2009.
    Battery Information 6 Cell 10.8V 47Wh, SPS-482186-003, Date Code 7J0934, CT : 6 AQEB C1 X9 08V (everything from the battery).
    Currently using Win7 32-bit clean install/format from Vista 64-bit back in October 2009.

I've used the powercfg -energy to check the battery life as well as BatteryBar v3.3.3.

Just before this, BatteryBar showed 7,484 of 47,520 remaining.  After taking the battery out with the laptop on to check the serial number and putting it back with the laptop still on, BatteryBar showed 10,076 (99.7% charged) out of 47,520, so not really sure why the sudden increase.  Powercfg -energy shows 10,109 as the current capacity which is consistent with BatteryBar.

I had heard leaving the laptop plugged in may be detrimental to the long term life of the battery, but maybe that applied to older non-LION batteries??

Thanks for checking on this.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Hello All, I had the same problem with my Gateway's Laptop, reading the answers here I decided to do some changes to my system and for now is working, in fact i'm writing this while I'm testing the battery and I dont' have the message to replace my battery for now.

My system had been working with the battery for almost 40 minutes and looks great.

I'll try to explain the steps I follow.

First I disabled the Battery With ACPI Compatibility 3 or 4 days ago.
    Today I first ran "C:\Windows\System32\control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting" in the section  System and Security I found and option to improve the use of energy, sorry if I can't say exactly wich optiobut my system is in spanish and I don't know how could be shown in english but is the only option that says something about energy, in the first screen you clic on advanced options and just make sure that the option showed to apply the fixes automattically is selected, then yo clic on next and wait for the results, this wizard found some problems and I applied the fix suggested.

After this I Get and old version for my chipset compatible with Windows Vista and installed it, and the last thing I did was to enable the Battery with ACPI Compatibility.

When I did it I immediatly noticed that the message to replace my battery was gone and I decided to unplug my laptop and probe the battery and I shouldtell you that riight now that the indicator says that I still have 98% of the battery after almost 1 hour.

At this point I should say that I did't restart my Laptop after the changes I did.

Well, I'll keep Testing and If it keeps working I'll let you know, or you could try andlet my know if this works for you. And please forgive me if me english is not enough to explain myself.
    Alexdro,

Thanks for posting your findings and please continue to let us know how this works for you. Your English is great and we can understand you just fine.

-Tony Mann

Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:21 AM
  • Hello Again, just to follow up my previous post, my battery last for almost 1 hour and 50 minutes when I decided to plug it again I think that maybe it could last more time but I decided to stop the test there to avoid any damage to my HD in case my Laptop just died with any previous  advice. I just restarted my Laptop and the status is the same the battery is charging and I still dont' have any message telling me to consider replace my battery.

I'll take my Lap to my work tomorrow to keep testing and I'll post here about any change or I'll tell you if this keep working.

Good Night.

P.S. Sorry again for my english.
    • Edited by Alexdro Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:14 AM Misspelling
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Hey Alexdro.

How exactly did you disabled the Battery With ACPI Compatibility ?

Thanks in advance.

Tramgamer.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Hi Alexdro, I can't understand this step "After this I Get and old version for my chipset compatible with Windows Vista and installed it, and the last thing I did was to enable the Battery with ACPI Compatibility." ...could you please explain me this with more details?thanks

edit: I did exactly all the steps that you wrote, except "After this I Get and old version for my chipset compatible with Windows Vista and installed it" and the red X is still there...
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Hello! I have same problem in my HP Probook 4310s. I am alredy changed 2 battery`s but Windows 7 says that  "Consider replacing your battery" "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly". What can i do??? In Ubuntu linux and in Vista i didn`t have this problem.
    And who can give my money back (for theare 2 battery's???????????????????????????????????)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Edited by Anthony_Mann Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:23 PM Changed large font
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hello All, as I promised  I'm still testing the changes I did yesterday to my system and all keeps working ok for now, first sorry for the problems trying to explain myself and answering the posts of aries84 and Tramgamer:

Go to Device Manager (Right Click on Computer, clc on Manager) under Batteries you'll find "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery", this is what i disabled first and the enabled.

And What I did with my chipset was to download and install and old driver for Windows Vista.

Please if you have any other question just let me know.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:00 PM
  • My Gateway laptop is a little over a year old and my wife's Gateway is about 5 months old. We've both had these warning since installing W7 after the release. Today, I installed BatteryBar only to find out that my 12 cell battery now has 84% wear. Prior to installing W7, I was getting 3 1/2 hours on this battery. I'm now getting 35 minutes.

12 CELL (84% wear)...

• Original battery capacity - 97,680 mWh
    • Pre-W7 battery life - 3 1/2 - 4 hours
    • Current battery capacity - 15,629 mWh
    • Current battery life - 35 mins

8 CELL (73% wear)...

• Original battery capacity - 71,040 mWh
    • Pre-W7 battery life - 2 - 2 1/2 hours
    • Current battery capacity - 19,314 mWh
    • Current battery life - 40 mins

Wife's battery (74% wear)...

• Original battery capacity - 48,840 mWh
    • Pre-W7 battery life - 1 1/2 - 2 hours
    • Current battery capacity - 12,643 mWh
    • Current battery life - 49 mins

Nice to see that my 8 cell battery has more juice than my NEWER 12 cell battery. Thanks Microsoft!!!
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Thank you Alexdro, but it doesn't work for me.
    Looks like my Acer 6935G can't see his batteries anymore, even when the OS is shut off.
    Does anyone have an idea about a plausible reason for this?
    Craziest think is that we are witnessing a variety of different issues even in machines of the same make and model: my case is completely different from the one that's afflicting ukhardy07 (see above).
    It's driving me nuts ...
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:53 PM
  • I'm also experiencing the problem with battery capacity draining towards zero since the day I installed Windows 7 on my one year old Asus EeePC 1000H. This can simply not be a coincidence. But I don't get the "replace your battery" message. The battery lasted for about 6 hours and now it's already down to 2 within just a month. I will never again use any Microsoft product if this problem is not getting fixed asap and as long as I don't get a compensation for the defective battery. And as long as Microsoft says that it's not their fault, which I believe it is, I will keep posting this issue all over the web and will warn as many people as I can. Blaming the users and our partially brandnew hardware is really not what I would call a professional service attitude by a global player.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Well said swooshEU. I'm trying to understand how this situation violates my consumer's rights accordingly to EU laws.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Chris,

Here's the info you requested:

HP DV4-1313dx (AMD Turion X2, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Radeon 3200, DVD Writer) Purchased April 2009.
    Battery Information 6 Cell 10.8V 47Wh, SPS-482186-003, Date Code 7J0934, CT : 6 AQEB C1 X9 08V (everything from the battery).
    Currently using Win7 32-bit clean install/format from Vista 64-bit back in October 2009.

I've used the powercfg -energy to check the battery life as well as BatteryBar v3.3.3.

Just before this, BatteryBar showed 7,484 of 47,520 remaining.  After taking the battery out with the laptop on to check the serial number and putting it back with the laptop still on, BatteryBar showed 10,076 (99.7% charged) out of 47,520, so not really sure why the sudden increase.  Powercfg -energy shows 10,109 as the current capacity which is consistent with BatteryBar.

I had heard leaving the laptop plugged in may be detrimental to the long term life of the battery, but maybe that applied to older non-LION batteries??

Thanks for checking on this.

Newjones,

What about the Vista system which also has a battery reporting the same wear?  Does the Vista system have the exact same system details?

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:21 PM
  • I'm also experiencing the problem with battery capacity draining towards zero since the day I installed Windows 7 on my one year old Asus EeePC 1000H. This can simply not be a coincidence. But I don't get the "replace your battery" message. The battery lasted for about 6 hours and now it's already down to 2 within just a month. I will never again use any Microsoft product if this problem is not getting fixed asap and as long as I don't get a compensation for the defective battery. And as long as Microsoft says that it's not their fault, which I believe it is, I will keep posting this issue all over the web and will warn as many people as I can. Blaming the users and our partially brandnew hardware is really not what I would call a professional service attitude by a global player.

swoooshEU;

Can you please pass along your "powercfg /energy" report to us at wpe@microsoft.com so we can investigate this further on your PC?  Can you also please let me know if this was an in-place upgrade from Vista or a clean installation of Windows7?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:28 PM
  • I don't know. One month age I posted my battery reports here, in one of the older threads (part 6) -

Battery ID Li4402A Dynapack 4400
    Manufacturer Dynapack
    Serial Number Li4402A
    Chemistry Li
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 65120
    Last Full Charge 50320
    Battery ID Li4402A Dynapack 4400
    Manufacturer Dynapack
    Serial Number Li4402A
    Chemistry Li
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 65120
    Last Full Charge 50320
    Design Capacity 65120
    Last Full Charge 50320
    Design Capacity    65120
    Last Full Charge    50320 -,

and, as of now, I get the following values:

" No energy efficiency problems were found. ...
    Design Capacity    65120
    Last Full Charge    50320".

So, at least from my side, it's hard to believe that this whole issue is caused by Windows. There may be a strange interaction between the OS and many batteries out there but what's the real offspring is beyond me.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Sorry if the recent post looks confusing but I'm unable to edit it. The main message is that nothing has changed since my last post one month ago. No improvement, no deterioration, all the same as originally stated.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:01 PM
  • I don't have the specific model number of my parents laptop.  What I do know is the following:

HP Presario 15" display (maybe a dv5000z or dv6000z)
    AMD Turion X2
    nVidia onboard graphics (6150 perhaps)
    3-4GB RAM
    Vista all service packs/updates (not sure on 32 or 64 bit)

Their hardware is pretty similar to mine except for my AMD/ATI chipset vs. their nVidia.  I checked the battery capacity on theirs with BatteryBar.

Their laptop was purchased around 2-3 years ago, so I would expect some wear to the battery.  I was initially just comparing a 2-3 year old HP laptop with similar hardware to my newer notebook both showing about 15% battery life remaining.  Both laptops had similar usage (i.e. mostly web, office apps).  Both laptops are generally kept plugged in >95% of the time.

HTH.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:40 AM
  • newjones,

I believe Chris is wrong regarding laptops being plugged in all the time - it IS detrimental to the battery.  Batteries have the longest lifetime when they are USED.  In other words, they should be used from full charge down to somewhere around 10% capacity and then fully charged.  Batteries left in a full charge state lose their capacity to hold a charge, even Li batteries (but not as bad as Ni-Cad and NmH).  I don't agree with Chris that 5 charges of 20% equals one full charge.  It is my understanding (and experience) that any charge counts as one full charge (out of ~1000 that you will get).  Remember, when charging a battery it heats up while storing the energy.  This heating up process is part of what reduces a battery's lifespan.

***Michael

Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:17 AM
  • No. Happens on Linux, too. 47W with an idle CPU. ATI card running while the system was using the intel card and was idle.

Your laptop should never drain more power than designed. I've seen graphics cards throttling even if you are in some esotheric OS like jnode or freedos.

It looks like the graphics cards *stop* *doing* *their* *throttling*. This is clearly a bug in the graphics card BIOS, which gets uploaded by your normal BIOS during hw initialization.

Why does it happen to Win7 (and some linux flavors) only? ACPI table problems might be a reason.

Anyway, this is nothing MS is going to fix, as it's either a BIOS (graphics or laptop) problem or a drivers problem.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Hello,
    I just found out about this forum yesterday, when I received the same message: "Battery fully charged (100%) - Consider replacing your battery".
    I am using an Acer Aspire 5738G laptop, with Windows 7 professional and Ubuntu Linux dual boot, that I've bought six months ago. The report from powercfg is as follows:

The battery stored less than 40% of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged.
    Battery ID 3534SIMPLOAS07A75
    Design Capacity 48840
    Last Full Charge 16506
    Last Full Charge (%) 33

I tried draining the battery and then recharging while turned off and while running linux, but it didn't help. On my last boot on linux about an hour ago, it showed the last full charge as 39%. The battery gets emptied in less then an hour.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I cannot believe this....  I have three laptops 4 if you include my sister, from who's laptop I am typing this.  I have 7 on A dell Latitude C840, a Toshiba p380-s8818, and a HP Pavilion dv9700. This Laptop is a Alienware m5700i-R2.  The previous 3.. No Problems.  In fact, the Dell which has a battery that is nearly 2 years old, and sees lots of use, has stayed about the same length of time as far as charge goes, and it has a P4M 2.2 GHZ!  Though to the dells credit, it needed a driver from dell since t did have the problem initially saying that they life of the battery had gone to ____, and needed replacing.  Immediately after installing I searched dells website since I had heard of this problem previously, and they actually had a driver fixing it.  

This alienware, previously had Windows XP and Vista Home.  Both had nearly 2 hours of time and life service life left of nearly 50 percent.  I do not have the settings anymore but was curious since my sister had two batterys, one a 4400 mah and another that was I believe 9000.   This guy has roughly 2400-3000 when fully charged, though on this previous check in windows 7, it was 1466 and mind you I JUST INSTALLED IT, it dropped 1000 MAH in 3 hours of running.  I have been searching high and low for a driver to fix this, and for some reason there is nothing.  Now one thing I have been seeing is a trend to essentially say, "Well it's the manufacturer's problem".  I have to argue with that assumption, since, with both xp ubuntu and even VISTA which I have hated since day one, ALL WORK FINE.  Now why should it be, that if something worked before, that it is the laptop manufacturer's fault NOW if it worked before?  Very quick and easy to pass the buck, and I want to know, if this is actually permanent or is it just windows racking up a virtual timer that is only relevant to it?  If this is ruining the battery truly, there is no better time to go back to vista or xp.  I ACTUALLY PAID FOR THIS JUNK, WHAT AN IDIOT EH?

Battery costed nearly 140 bucks and with the purchase of windows on top of that, I AM BEING RAMMED FOR OVER 300 BUCKS!!!

well ____, here is what it said in that powercfg -energy

Computer Name MARIA-PC
    Scan Time 2010-03-11T19:38:10Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer ALIENWARE
    System Product Name M5700I-R2
    BIOS Date 01/08/2007
    BIOS Version 1.19
    OS Build 7600
    Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile
    Plugged In false
    Process Count 47
    Thread Count 631
    Report GUID {105a9f76-2d47-4b3d-b489-c4fdfe1a192f}

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (On Battery)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
    CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
    The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 4.50
    Battery ID 00001 ALIENWARE M5700I-R2
    Design Capacity 4400
    Last Full Charge 1466
    Last Full Charge (%) 33

Warnings

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 10000
    Maximum Timer Period (100ns units) 156001
    Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 2064
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\Maria\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Power Policy:Disk timeout is long (Plugged In)
    The disk is configured to turn off after longer than 30 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 3600
    Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
    CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name chrome.exe
    PID 2064
    Average Utilization (%) 1.35
    Module Average Module Utilization (%)
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.60
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.16
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\Maria\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\4.0.249.89\chrome.dll 0.13
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name chrome.exe
    PID 3828
    Average Utilization (%) 0.43
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.30
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.05
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\Maria\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\4.0.249.89\chrome.dll 0.02
    Process Name dwm.exe
    PID 1648
    Average Utilization (%) 0.30
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\atiumdag.dll 0.18
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll 0.05
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.02
    Process Name chrome.exe
    PID 3964
    Average Utilization (%) 0.26
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\Maria\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\4.0.249.89\chrome.dll 0.24
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.00

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack
    The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.
    Requested Period 10000
    Requesting Process ID 2064
    Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\Maria\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Calling Module Stack \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
      \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\winmm.dll
      \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
      \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll
      \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\Maria\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\4.0.249.89\chrome.dll
    Power Policy:Active Power Plan
    The current power plan in use
    Plan Name OEM Balanced
    Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
    Personality Balanced
    Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
    Personality Balanced
    Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality
    System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
    USB Suspend:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
    Battery:Battery Information
    Battery ID 00001 ALIENWARE M5700I-R2
    Manufacturer ALIENWARE
    Serial Number 00001
    Chemistry LiON
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 4400
    Last Full Charge 1466
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false
    S2 Sleep Supported false
    S3 Sleep Supported true
    S4 Sleep Supported true
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
    This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0
    Index 0
    Idle (C) State Count 3
    Performance (P) State Count 3
    Throttle (T) State Count 8
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0
    Index 1
    Idle (C) State Count 3
    • Edited by Anthony_Mann Friday, March 12, 2010 3:35 AM Offensive term removed
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Just wanted to post my results from Power -cfg energy...I have a Hp Pavilion dv2500 special edition.  It's 2 years old, I have plenty of memory and all for windows 7, switched in December.  As soon as I put windows 7 on my first battery died, so I said okay its 2 years old maybe I should get a new one.  Received the battery near the end of December,  the power -cfg I have now is of the new battery....It's been in use for less than three months....

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name ANDREW-PC
    Scan Time 2010-03-12T13:42:15Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Product Name HP Pavilion dv2500 Notebook PC
    BIOS Date 08/10/2007
    BIOS Version F.13
    OS Build 7600
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 60
    Thread Count 851
    Report GUID {fc8f86c2-34d0-45d6-bbae-4f4ea7a3383a}

Analysis Results

Battery ID 5845SMP-SS20Akita
    Manufacturer SMP-SS20
    Serial Number 5845
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 46440
    Last Full Charge 8996

So what I am seeing is the my capacity has dramatically dropped and the only thing that changed on my computer in the last 4 months is the installation of windows 7, I've stated this plenty of times on this forum, but no windows representative has asked me anything, frankly they don't want to fix anything it seems.  Oh and I checked for a BIOS update and there's nothing, and I know how to treat batterys I've had three laptops none had battery issues.  
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:49 PM
  • There is only 3 solutions :

- return to XP (the best solution)
    - return to Vista (It is better than Windows 7 in this moment)
    - Use Linux (forget games)

Dear friends, don't forget anymore that : When there is a new Windows, we have to wait minimum 1 year (SP1) to use it, because there is many bugs (remember XP at the beginning).

And a few times, after updates, we have new bugs !!!

In this moment, Microsoft doesn't have any solution to resolve the battery's bug and It seems to be a long time before Microsoft find it.

I decides to buy a new battery (i hope the last), use Vista and i'll try to use Windows 7 only at summer 2011, before it's too dangerous !

Why do you think that entreprises wait a long time before change OS ???

See you
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:25 PM
  • I cannot believe this....  I have three laptops 4 if you include my sister, from who's laptop I am typing this.  I have 7 on A dell Latitude C840, a Toshiba p380-s8818, and a HP Pavilion dv9700. This Laptop is a Alienware m5700i-R2.  The previous 3.. No Problems.  In fact, the Dell which has a battery that is nearly 2 years old, and sees lots of use, has stayed about the same length of time as far as charge goes, and it has a P4M 2.2 GHZ!  Though to the dells credit, it needed a driver from dell since t did have the problem initially saying that they life of the battery had gone to ____, and needed replacing.  Immediately after installing I searched dells website since I had heard of this problem previously, and they actually had a driver fixing it.  

This alienware, previously had Windows XP and Vista Home.  Both had nearly 2 hours of time and life service life left of nearly 50 percent.  I do not have the settings anymore but was curious since my sister had two batterys, one a 4400 mah and another that was I believe 9000.   This guy has roughly 2400-3000 when fully charged, though on this previous check in windows 7, it was 1466 and mind you I JUST INSTALLED IT, it dropped 1000 MAH in 3 hours of running.  I have been searching high and low for a driver to fix this, and for some reason there is nothing.  Now one thing I have been seeing is a trend to essentially say, "Well it's the manufacturer's problem".  I have to argue with that assumption, since, with both xp ubuntu and even VISTA which I have hated since day one, ALL WORK FINE.  Now why should it be, that if something worked before, that it is the laptop manufacturer's fault NOW if it worked before?  Very quick and easy to pass the buck, and I want to know, if this is actually permanent or is it just windows racking up a virtual timer that is only relevant to it?  If this is ruining the battery truly, there is no better time to go back to vista or xp.  I ACTUALLY PAID FOR THIS JUNK, WHAT AN IDIOT EH?

Battery costed nearly 140 bucks and with the purchase of windows on top of that, I AM BEING RAMMED FOR OVER 300 BUCKS!!!

well ____, here is what it said in that powercfg -energy

Riboild,

In reading your post, it appears you have two laptops that are working just fine with a Windows 7 upgrade (or clean install) and reporting healthy batteries; is this correct?  It also sounds like your Dell was reporting “Consider replacing your battery” warning but was remedied with a driver from Dell?  I’d assume this was an ACPI driver, but I would very much like to have more details on this?  Can you contact me with the details of this system and the driver you had to install?  WPE@microsoft.com 

Regarding your Alienware, it is unclear to me whether you have purchased a new battery and had it fail as well or if you are reporting that the initial battery is reporting a high wear level?  If you have had more than one battery wear quickly on this system then we’d like for you to contact us with the details so we can investigate.

Thanks,

Chris[MSFT]

Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:31 AM
  • There is only 3 solutions :

- return to XP (the best solution)
    - return to Vista (It is better than Windows 7 in this moment)
    - Use Linux (forget games)

Dear friends, don't forget anymore that : When there is a new Windows, we have to wait minimum 1 year (SP1) to use it, because there is many bugs (remember XP at the beginning).

And a few times, after updates, we have new bugs !!!

In this moment, Microsoft doesn't have any solution to resolve the battery's bug and It seems to be a long time before Microsoft find it.

I decides to buy a new battery (i hope the last), use Vista and i'll try to use Windows 7 only at summer 2011, before it's too dangerous !

Why do you think that entreprises wait a long time before change OS ???

See you

Dragao13,

I’m sorry that you are having problems with your laptop and I have invited you to contact me directly, so we can figure out exactly what is happening on your system.  I’d remind you that currently we, nor our hardware partners, are seeing a trend of higher battery failure on Windows 7 and moving to any other operating system does not stop batteries from failing.  Research of other operating systems will show the same behavior of batteries reaching the end of their useful life.

Please contact us so we can investigate your specific situation.

Regards,
    Chris [MSFT]

Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:38 AM
  • newjones,

I believe Chris is wrong regarding laptops being plugged in all the time - it IS detrimental to the battery.  Batteries have the longest lifetime when they are USED.  In other words, they should be used from full charge down to somewhere around 10% capacity and then fully charged.  Batteries left in a full charge state lose their capacity to hold a charge, even Li batteries (but not as bad as Ni-Cad and NmH).  I don't agree with Chris that 5 charges of 20% equals one full charge.  It is my understanding (and experience) that any charge counts as one full charge (out of ~1000 that you will get).  Remember, when charging a battery it heats up while storing the energy.  This heating up process is part of what reduces a battery's lifespan.

***Michael

Michael/newjones,

While investigating reports in this forum we have talked to a number of battery manufacturers and hardware partners who build batteries, as well as experts in the field of battery chemistry.  I am simply relaying what we are hearing from them regarding battery maintenance.  Experts also point to the fact that if your laptop runs hot and is not properly cooled, then you can hasten chemical degradation of the battery.  Storing the battery at fully charged levels while at high temperatures can also cause permanent capacity loss, so proper care in each user's situation is important. 

There is also a lot of good info available from credible sources on the web regarding care of li-ion batteries.  These sources also provide insight into what to expect in terms of wear and failure of batteries over time/use. 

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

It's important to note, that all the experts, hardware vendors, and sources we have consulted continue to confirm that there is nothing Windows 7 (or drivers) can be doing which will write to the battery or harm/destroy a battery beyond its normal use.   We continue to review and work with the most interesting cases reported in this forum to confirm that this is the case.

Regards,
    Chris [MSFT]

Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:57 AM
  • So no, this is not M$ but some wired HW/platform designed to be smart (switchable) but horribly misbehaving (running both cards) in some cases.... Blaming the OS is wrong, too. It really really looks like the hw platform vendor has to do some extra homeworks...

I do not agree on that. It has been detailled quite well here that there is likely a flaw in the Windows battery management, mixing up some battery parameters and thus maybe (indirectly) changes battery information.

Another thing that I noticed using Windows 7 SDK performance tool is that the Window decorator stuff may be the cause for huge wattage peaks. It's actually not the wdm.exe process that peaks up but the actual process that has the window focus so to say, but here is the thing: Even simple things like a window dimming effects, moving windows, or slow scrolling on non-media-centric web sites causes power consumption to increase to twice of what it consumes under XP and even Linux.
    It may have to do with the new WARP 10 layer that emulates Direct X 10 for non direct x 10 enabled GPUs. Maybe it consumes therefore much CPU power, or it is the graphics card. Or nothing of that at all...

So my best (wild) guess is that the problem is a combination of two things: There are occassional high power drains, which is not good for batteries. And there is a flaw in the battery management, which alters battery parameters.

On the other hand, I think it's very unlikely that the vendors are at vault: This problem affects a diverse variety of hardware, different BIOSes, CPUs, chipsets, battery types, etc. Yet, the only common denominator seems to be Windows 7.

Benjamindavidst;

Our studies with OS power usage have not shown the "huge wattage peaks" you refer to.  In fact, simple tests which monitor the power draw directly at the AC adapter while performing normal tasks (say paging through email lists) indicate relatively small energy consumption increases approximating 6 watts at peak increase.  Can you please point me to the SDK power performance methodology you are using to ascertain the wattage peaks you are referring to? 

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Saturday, March 13, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Then How comes that when i do a format of my system and reinstall of win 7 and do the CMD powercfg -energy diagnose again the diagnose is giving a complete other result then before???

My replace the battery indication went away because the the wear level is now 45% so i got 15% back of the 30% where it got stuck.

I think when the battery is having a bad charge moment the diagnose is set there and when it's charging times are better the diagnose doesn't change it.

1st RUN

Acer Aspire battery 14.8Volt 4800mAh
    Accu:Accugegevens
    Accu-id 1303SONYChapala
    Fabrikant SONY
    Serienummer 1303
    Accutype LION
    Lange termijn 1
    Ontwerpcapaciteit 71040
    Laatst volledig opgeladen 21312

Accu:Laatst volledig opgeladen (%)
    De laatste keer dat de accu volledig is opgeladen, is minder dan 40% van de ontworpen capaciteit geladen.
    Accu-id 1303SONYChapala
    Ontwerpcapaciteit 71040
    Laatst volledig opgeladen 21312
    Laatst volledig opgeladen (%) 30

2nd RUN

Accu:Accugegevens
    Accu-id 1303SONYChapala
    Fabrikant SONY
    Serienummer 1303
    Accutype LION
    Lange termijn 1
    Ontwerpcapaciteit 71040
    Laatst volledig opgeladen 31968

Accu:Laatst volledig opgeladen (%)
    De laatste keer dat de accu volledig is opgeladen, is minder dan 50% van de ontworpen capaciteit geladen.
    Accu-id 1303SONYChapala
    Ontwerpcapaciteit 71040
    Laatst volledig opgeladen 31968
    Laatst volledig opgeladen (%) 45
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Dragao13,

I’m sorry that you are having problems with your laptop and I have invited you to contact me directly, so we can figure out exactly what is happening on your system.  I’d remind you that currently we, nor our hardware partners, are seeing a trend of higher battery failure on Windows 7 and moving to any other operating system does not stop batteries from failing.  Research of other operating systems will show the same behavior of batteries reaching the end of their useful life.

Regards,
    Chris [MSFT]

I ever contacted microsoft service by phone, and I ever gived all the informations about my laptop without results !!!

I repeat : If, We install Vista, XP or Linux, there is no more problems with battery (I tested with Vista and Ubuntu Linux), i' m using my battery with Vista and when i run powercfg -energy, result is ok, Wear don't change !

After 1 month using Vista, I installed again Windows 7 and after 2 weeks, battery's capacity decrease and after I returned to Vista and the capacity stop to decrease !!!

It's a fact, this big ____ of Windows 7 destroy our batteries !!!
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 9:39 AM
  • I have a Compaq Presario AV3424U and its roughly 2 years old.
    I was using XP OS since beggining and recently started with Windows 7. I know the battery previously also had certain issue of not giving me backup, but now it got worst aftr activating Win7.

Here below is my Config:
    Processor: AMD Turion 64
    Graphic: Nvidia
    RAM: 1.5GB

This Cross sign in my battery is irritating and cant find a fix of the same.

Can MS help.

THX
    Ravi k

• Edited by Anthony_Mann Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:24 AM Quote not relevant to post
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Yea Chris I understand your studies as heat relating to battery issues but you must consider the fact that windows 7 could be the cause of the overheating issue.  I know for a fact that my computer runs harder on windows 7 because it sounds like a spaceship taking off.  The hard drive spins a mile a minute at idle even if my computer is on power saver and no programs are up and running.  What causes this is my question?  Cuz I know for a fact windows 7 is causing my pc to run harder than vista did, even though it runs more efficiently the battery heat could be an issue caused by windows 7 stress on my hardware.  A side not to this, I've used my laptop with my newly purchased battery and shut off my pc when it was too hot.  So heat doesnt seem to be an issue.  And even if heat is a factor, there is no way the heat could deteriate my battery to the capacity it has now, that means I'd have to run my laptop constantly for 3 months straight at full speed to heat it up enough to bring the capacity down to 11%.  Stop shooting out all these "it could be's" and find the root to this problem.  Its so frustrating that microsoft will rather point fingers in every direction rather than admit they have a flaw in their OS.  <offensive sentence removed>
    • Edited by Anthony_Mann Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:26 AM offensive sentence removed
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:32 AM
  • To Chris[MSFT],

The Dell was fixed through a driver download, though at this point, I cannot recall if it was from Dell or MS, since it showed, that there was a driver available that may fix the problem.  And since I had never been introduced to this before, I just performed whatever procedure it recommended and was on my way.  As far as the Alienware, It had one stock battery, which I was guessing was about 3 years old, but still would hold about 2700 MAH of 4400 total when charged.  The second battery was from Alienware, and had been used 3 times total, before running windows 7 and getting this message.  I pulled it out of case, and started using it since at this point the other battery was considered doo doo.  The new battery was/is genuine from Alienware/Dell.  

Thomas
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:59 AM
  • To Chris[MSFT],

at first i thought it has something to do with battery recalibration. Hence, in order to recalibrate my battery, first i have to discharge my battery totally, but current windows settings do not allow me to prevent hibernation at windows critical level. However i found this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=125128 to prevent my netbook from automatically hibernating or shutting down at critical levels.

• powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_BATTERY BATACTIONCRIT 0

Ive been doing this for the second time now, and both times my battery runs into 0% and continues to work at 0% for the next 30min-40min.

prior to this when "do nothing" action is not turned on, it will automatically hibernate at randomly 40-60% charged levels, and when i resume my windows, it states 4%-5% battery levels.

SINCE the battery is able to run at 0% for 30-40min, it can only suggest that there is still energy left for discharge, but windows 7 assumes that it has no more battery and decides to hibernate it.

pls advise.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:24 PM
  • and in any case for others who are facing "low" battery life, consider shutting down battery critical action. you may lose information if the notebook shuts down automatically, but at least you will get your note book to run at "0%" for the next 30-40min, on "high performance".
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Yea Chris I understand your studies as heat relating to battery issues but you must consider the fact that windows 7 could be the cause of the overheating issue.  I know for a fact that my computer runs harder on windows 7 because it sounds like a spaceship taking off.  The hard drive spins a mile a minute at idle even if my computer is on power saver and no programs are up and running.  What causes this is my question?  Cuz I know for a fact windows 7 is causing my pc to run harder than vista did, even though it runs more efficiently the battery heat could be an issue caused by windows 7 stress on my hardware.  A side not to this, I've used my laptop with my newly purchased battery and shut off my pc when it was too hot.  So heat doesnt seem to be an issue.  And even if heat is a factor, there is no way the heat could deteriate my battery to the capacity it has now, that means I'd have to run my laptop constantly for 3 months straight at full speed to heat it up enough to bring the capacity down to 11%.  Stop shooting out all these "it could be's" and find the root to this problem.  Its so frustrating that microsoft will rather point fingers in every direction rather than admit they have a flaw in their OS.  <offensive sentence removed>

I've been checking back with this thread every day and so far nothing has changed. Microsoft still seems to be posturing, although they have been requesting information from certain users.

My gut feeling at the moment is that Microsoft actually has no idea how to fix this problem. I'm no programmer, but would it not be possible to issue a hotfix that allows us to revert to the Windows Vista power management system on affected laptops? As I said, I'm not a programmer, but the OS is not so different from Vista - it uses the same drivers for most things, though perhaps not ACPI. An option like "Use legacy power management" would be nice.

• Proposed as answer by Btstech Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anthony_Mann Monday, March 15, 2010 5:29 AM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:54 PM
  • ^^^^^thats a very good idea, Vista power management didn't give me a problem.

Notice my report before said my last full charge was 8000, now it says 13000?
    Explain this Chris.

Battery ID 5845SMP-SS20Akita
    Manufacturer SMP-SS20
    Serial Number 5845
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 46440
    Last Full Charge 13835
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:26 PM
  • I just wanted to throw my name in the hat.
    I have a Dell Vostro 1510 which reported the error shortly after updating from vista to win7.
    Is there anything that i can add that would help?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 4:15 PM

• I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with 6 cell battery.
    The battery is almost 2 years old and under Vista Ultimate, I was getting at least 90 minutes continuous use.

I did an upgrade installation to Windows 7 RC and didn't notice any particular reduction in battery life over the following six months.

Then with the RC version due to expire, I performed a clean install of Windows 7 Professional and within a few days was reduced to a battery life of sub 10 minutes. Recalibrating the battery (as described earlier in the thread) increased this to 15-20 minutes.

I do wonder if there is any significance in the difference between the upgrade versus the clean installation?

Anyway, with a new battery costing £100, I'm not going to risk damaging that too, so for now I've had to revert to  Vista.   
    Monday, March 15, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Thanks but where we could have the ACPI driver of Windows Vista ? I have a dell vostro 1510...

Thanks again ;)
    Monday, March 15, 2010 11:00 PM
  • OK maybe it's a good idea to use ACI driver of Vista but it'll not change the battery's damage !!!
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Am i the only one who's experiencing complete death of the battery section of the laptop after installing 7 (pro 64 in my case)? I mean, my Acer Aspire 6935g won't recharghe its battery even when it's shut off and the OS says no battery found. I bought a new battery after the original one went to zero and everything worked (even if my lap thinks there's no battery) until it had a bit of energy.
    Now i have 2 completely empty batteries and no way to recharghe them. Wow, I could keep on buying new batteries (around 80€ each) every two hours or so of usage and then apply for a note in the guinness' book of records as the owner of the most expensive laptop on planet earth.
    U N B E L I E V A B L E
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Chris,

My name is Carlos and I have an ACER 3680 laptop and I have been working with windows 7 RC and now ultimate for some since September of last year and in that time I have gone thru 6 batteries. I though the batteries were bad so I kept exchanging them at least two of them, the other 4 I had to eat the cost and at a 100.oo clip it can get awfully expensive pretty quick.

after reading this set of posts, it make me angry a new OS is crapping on us without any recourse. I have tried to run the powercfg - energy command in both upper and lower case and this is what I get

C:\Users\Carlos>powercfg -energy
    Invalid Parameters -- try "/?" for help

it seems that even your power commands don't have the power to work outside of your system, at least no on mine which is running

Manufacturer Acer, inc.
      Model Aspire 3680
      Total amount of system memory 1.00 GB RAM
      System type 32-bit operating system
      Number of processor cores 1
      64-bit capable Yes

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description  Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name STD10
    System Manufacturer Acer, inc.
    System Model Aspire 3680
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU        520  @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Acer v1.3503, 3/3/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
    User Name STD10\Carlos
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 0.99 GB
    Available Physical Memory 344 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 1.99 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 934 MB
    Page File Space 1.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

the release version of the os was installed two weeks ago and I use this system everywhere I go...

A solution to this problem is needed ASAP.... before MS has a real problem in its hands...

Remember the VISTA fiasco... 7 might be nicer but if is costs us money like it is doing right now, VISTA may look like a distant memory....

Carlos

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:04 AM
  • I figured I might as well chime in here also.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, model number L355D-S7815. I've been running Windows 7 since October 22nd, 2009. Prior to that I was running Windows Vista Home Premium, which came preinstalled with the laptop.

My wife has an identical model laptop (we bought two of them at the same time) with all identical components, and still runs Windows Vista Home Premium (she did not upgrade to Windows 7). The laptops are both about 2 years old.

Currently, my battery shows a maximum lifetime of 31 minutes, with 71.4% battery wear. In contrast, my wife's laptop shows a maximum lifetime of about 1:45 (which is approximately what I experienced before upgrading to Windows 7), with 8% battery wear.

We do not use the same BIOS, but I updated the BIOS on my machine about a month after noticing the battery issues. I can provide powercfg and battery data for both systems if need be.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:22 AM
  • It's a shame !!!

How many people buy a battery thinking that its battery is dead and finally it's Windows 7 who kill it !!!

I'm contacting a lawyer to see what to do against Microsoft ...

See later !
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:20 AM
  • I am a victim of this too. My laptop is a ThinkPad X61, which has been performing well in the last 20 months. I don't use battery a lot especially for a long time, and I always plug off after shutting down the machine. About 2 months after installing 7, battery life started to drop directly from 80% to 3%. Now I can use it for only 5 mins max. I have another laptop running Vista, which is 6 months older than the X61, and much cheaper, still has a proper battery life. I'm not going to install 7 on any laptop from now on, in fact, I regard MSFT's continuous effort of improving operation system a catastrophic failure.
    Daniel
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:53 AM
  • Hello
    i'm a victim too with my girlfriend laptop. it's an asus G72Gx bought in december (4 month ago).
    last month we got the "consider to replace battery" message and now the battery not work.
    when the AC adapter is disconnected the laptop is turned off immediatly.

i'm an engineer in electronic systems and i'm working with smart battery gauges like DS2786 and others. but i can't find the battery pack pinout and i can't connect an adapter to the SMB or one wire bus to copy the gauge ragister.
    the only thing i'm sure is about the output voltage. there's nothing at the battery connector and this is very strange because in normal state the output voltage is allways enabled at the output. except when the low cell voltage is reached. 

the only case when the output voltage disappear is when the security system are  triggered like the fuse and in this case the battery back is dead.

i hope Microsoft and/or asus are working on this problem because we can't play with li-ion batteries and they give you a little gift when you abuse them.....fire leak and explosion....

asus want the entire laptop in RMA but how my girlfriend can work without it?

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Hello there,

It's been suggested by several respondents to go back to XP. unfortunately some of us are developers using the latest software tools like Visual Studio 2010 and similar tools that also depend on the lastest in the operating system like windows 7/2008.

the thing with the lawyer is that one single individual can't get anywhere unless the individual has tons of money which I don't think is the case for most of us. Therefore this is begining to look like a class action suit where a whole bunch of us get together hire a law firm. at well over 100.00 per bat at an estimated 500,000 laptops that's a cool $50,000.000.oo in battery expenses being incurred needlessly, and remember that microsoft has been sued for mundane things a lot less important and certainly were not causing such hardships as this battery seems to be causing...

Anywho: that is my opinion (IMHO)!
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:34 PM
  • I thought my prob was fixed but it came back.

SO.....

If I was to go back to vista, would this problem still occur? I thought yes. As in it won't get the full battery life. But reading the last couple of pages it seems it does go back to normal??

Help?
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:40 AM
  • Wow this thread has got busy since I was last here. I thought I'd come back and see if there has been any resolution but obviously not. After getting in touch with MS via support channels I was led a merry dance that got nowhere. Today I once again got some very spurious battery reading from Powercfg

Battery ID Sony Corp.
    Manufacturer Sony Corp.
    Serial Number
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 655350
    Last Full Charge 655350

Note that strange capacity value again, curious huh? The battery is stuck at 8% charging all day ! At the moment I get maybe 3 mins on battery even though I've only used it twice on battery since Feb. My solution, I bought a small inverter so I can run the laptop in my car LOL.

Nice to see Chris is still trying to defuse this situation but I think the mainstream tech press have already accepted the fact that it is probably us stupid users not understanding that our batteries have actually already worn out. So you might as well give up, wait for SP1 as we all forgot we were meant to do thanks to the Beta program.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Hey me back again :D Well I just let it run out till it died, then rebooted and ran powercfg and got the following results;

Battery ID Sony Corp.
    Manufacturer Sony Corp.
    Serial Number
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 57720
    Last Full Charge 54320

Obviously nothing unusual there is there? All is fine nothing to see here move along, and yes Chris, I have been in touch with you, yes I did run your little program you asked me to download, and yes I let it download and install whatever it wanted.
    See those last 2 items? That indicates my battery is almost perfect ( as it should be as I VERY rarely use my machine on battery). So how come my battery only lasts a few minutes ?
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Imagine impact of this bug ...

In this moment, there is many people who have the bug but they don't know...

I phoned to 4 friends of mine and indicate them to use powercfg /energy and try please to guess their answer ...

The 4 friends have the same problem like me, 1 Acer, 1 Lenovo and 2 Toshiba ... they have bad results with battery ...

The only good news is when all the people understand Windows 7 destroy batteries, Microsoft will start to find solution for the problem exist since 8 months, otherwise bye bye business with companies !!!

But this situation is normal, we never never never have to use Windows before SP1 !

And the perfect rule is that the best is to use Windows with SP2 !!!
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:33 PM
  • hi solarboy,

What is your total charging time when you plug it in.

If you use everest you might see it charge mAh your battery etc.

Greets

Advertman

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:23 AM
  • Hey forum,

i never thought i would need to have to post on these forums but seems times have changed and time to put my two pence in seeing as i not also have the consider replacing battery annoyance.

heres some of the info about my laptop

System Product Name HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
    BIOS Date 08/18/2009
    BIOS Version F.17
    OS Build 7600

but the interesting part is i only installed windows 7 a month ago i did a test before installing windows7 as i saw this psot about the battery problem with powercfg /energy and i got these results

Battery ID Hewlett-PackardPrimary
    Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 34486
    Last Full Charge (%)

now at the current time the readings are as follows

Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 16243
    Last Full Charge (%) 34

some how i find that hard to understand how i have lost so much battery life as i don't use it hardly ever on it's battery, and when i do i get around 40 minutes out of the battery when i used to get around 90-120 minutes.

i seriously do hope they find a solution to this problem soon or MS are going to be having a lot of angry customers just from how long its been going on so far.

• Edited by Rathal Friday, March 19, 2010 1:33 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 1:27 AM
  • forgot to add to Dragao13 i would fully back getting the word out that windows 7 destroys batterys

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:31 AM
  • CHRIS:

It has been awhile since I could reply. My battery wear was at 33% and is clibming now at 34.93% wear.

I have a HP pavilion dv9731ca lapotop. It is a 8 cell battery and has ability at 88,000 mWh and is now at 57,779 mWh (34% wear!)

It was purchased brand new and is not a recall.

here is a copy of the energy report:

Scan Time 2010-03-06T18:09:39Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Product Name HP Pavilion dv9700 (KC359UA#ABC)
    BIOS Date 11/25/2008
    BIOS Version F.59
    OS Build 7600
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 53
    Thread Count 910

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (On Battery)
    The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is on battery power.
    Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (On Battery)
    The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
    Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (On Battery)
    The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption based on activity.
    Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (On Battery)
    The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.
    Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is plugged in.
    Power Policy:Display timeout disabled (Plugged In)
    The display is not configured to turn off after a period of inactivity.
    Power Policy:Dim timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
    The display is not configured to automatically dim after a period of inactivity.
    Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
    The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
    Power Policy:Disk idle is disabled (Plugged In)
    The disk is not configured to turn off after a period of disk inactivity.
    Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (Plugged In)
    The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption based on activity.
    Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.
    USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name AuthenTec Inc. AES2501A
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2831
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 1
    Device ID USB\VID_08FF&PID_2580
    Port Path 1
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2831
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 1
    Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_2831
    Port Path

Warnings

Power Policy:Display timeout is long (On Battery)
    The display is configured to turn off after longer than 15 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 1800
    Power Policy:Dim timeout is long (On Battery)
    The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than 5 minutes.
    Timeout (seconds) 900
    CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is moderate
    The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 3.44
    Process Name avgchsvx.exe
    PID 496
    Average Utilization (%) 0.99
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.49
    \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys 0.21
    \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys 0.06
    Process Name svchost.exe
    PID 1148
    Average Utilization (%) 0.79
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.47
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\sysmain.dll 0.13
    \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys 0.06
    Process Name System
    PID 4
    Average Utilization (%) 0.24
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe 0.11
    \SystemRoot\system32\halmacpi.dll 0.10
    \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys 0.01

Information

The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156000
    Plan Name OEM High Performance
    Plan GUID {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}
    Personality High Performance
    Personality High Performance
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Serial Number
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 88800
    Last Full Charge 60621
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false
    S2 Sleep Supported false
    S3 Sleep Supported true
    S4 Sleep Supported true
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
    This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
    Group 0
    Index 0
    Idle (C) State Count 3
    Group 0
    Index 1
    Idle (C) State Count 3

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Hi all,

I've an LG P300-UP13T notebook. It had Windows Vista pre-installed on it and I wasn't experiencing any battery issues. I've installed Windows 7 Professional on it nearly a month ago and began seeing "Consider replacing your battery" notifications.

I've had F.13 BIOS version on it and my powercfg -energy results were as below:

Battery ID 1234 LG BAT1
    Design Capacity 703352
    Last Full Charge 48973
    Last Full Charge (%) 6

My notebook was lasting approximately 2 hours in spite of those results.

While I was searching for a driver update for my notebook I came accross a BIOS update (version F.19). After updating my notebook BIOS to F.19 my powercfg -energy results changed to values below:

Battery ID 1234 LG BAT1
    Design Capacity 56610
    Last Full Charge 48507 

My notebook still lasts for approximately 2 hours. So I think, my problem occured because of the manufacturer's incompatible BIOS.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Eren

Friday, March 19, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Ok then, i refurbish laptops for a living, mainly HP, If its the manufacturers or bios then explain the following to me:

one HP dv6500 Running windows 7 Home Premium, Sure enough windows reports that i should get a new battery, indeed the battery only lasts for around ten minutes

I then install windows vista home premium to find battery appears ok, and i get over a hour and half of battery life from the same used battery win 7 said was dead

I then install windows xp pro to find the same findings as vista the battery works well and holds a charge

I then test 4 other batterys i have using vista first, then xp, Guess what? yep batterys all working fine, with usage ranging from 1 hour to over 2 and a half hours (3 used bats, 1 new one)

Then i install windows 7 again, and sure enough 3 out of 4 batterys are showing up as needing a replacement.

Curious i run the only battery that seems ok for a few days, then after 5 days i was getting around 20 mins of use before battery died and the dreaded replace battery message.

Lastly i swap hard drives again to run windows vista, same machine and same battery which then gives me over a hour and half use before it needed charging. all the batterys where genuine hp ones 3 used ones and 1 new one, i can conclude after testing two things: Firstly theres something deeply wrong in windows 7, and i wont be installing it on any more customer laptops as it makes me look bad, Secondly windows 7 is somehow killing the life of the battery as well, as the new battery run for over 2 and half hours, after using in windows 7 for 5 days and returning to vista the same battery only managed 1 and half hours

If any of you guys have multple machines, and batterys try this for yourself, im certain you will find the same as me. Its a microsoft issue, NOT manufacturers and Bios !!!

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:08 AM
  • We have now three dead batteries because of Windows 7.

Case 1

Dell Latitude E6500. one year old battery died completely in a month. I first thought it was a faulty battery but when I inserted BRAND NEW battery, W7 stated that I have only 50% charge immediately after rechargin. I tried with Dell's 9 cell extended battery, sam thing, onlu 4 hours uptime while I tested both new batteries with Windows XP and guess what? 6 cell battery kept XP going 4 hours, 9 cell battery a bit over 7 hours! Twice as much as Windoes 7.

This "old" battery is now totally gone, it doesn't hold power more than for two minutes.

Case2

One of our staff members came to me one day and told that his Mac's battery is draining very fast. I found out taht he has been runnin Windows 7 on it. Windows 7 started giving "consider replacing your battery"-message and uptime was very very poor but when he ran battery totally out in OSX and reseted it, it started functioning normally. He is now using the same battery with normal uptime in OSX, in W7 it is not possible.

Case3

Dell Latitude E6500, same installation as mine in case1, started giving "consider replacing your battery"-message recently. Same symptoms, same kind of usage...

These CAN'T be coincidence! None of other computers with different OS's don't kill batteries. Windows 7 does.

I'm sure Microsoft will do all it can to lie about this for us but heck, I don't really care - we have paid extra for battery warranty which gives us the opportunity to send broken batteries to dell and we get new ones for free. We'll see what happens when Dell and other big companies start to ask Microsoft, what is going on. Im more than willing to let big boys do the fighting! ;)

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:13 PM
  • We have now three dead batteries because of Windows 7.

Case 1

Dell Latitude E6500. one year old battery died completely in a month. I first thought it was a faulty battery but when I inserted BRAND NEW battery, W7 stated that I have only 50% charge immediately after rechargin. I tried with Dell's 9 cell extended battery, sam thing, onlu 4 hours uptime while I tested both new batteries with Windows XP and guess what? 6 cell battery kept XP going 4 hours, 9 cell battery a bit over 7 hours! Twice as much as Windoes 7.

This "old" battery is now totally gone, it doesn't hold power more than for two minutes.

Case2

One of our staff members came to me one day and told that his Mac's battery is draining very fast. I found out taht he has been runnin Windows 7 on it. Windows 7 started giving "consider replacing your battery"-message and uptime was very very poor but when he ran battery totally out in OSX and reseted it, it started functioning normally. He is now using the same battery with normal uptime in OSX, in W7 it is not possible.

Case3

Dell Latitude E6500, same installation as mine in case1, started giving "consider replacing your battery"-message recently. Same symptoms, same kind of usage...

These CAN'T be coincidence! None of other computers with different OS's don't kill batteries. Windows 7 does.

I'm sure Microsoft will do all it can to lie about this for us but heck, I don't really care - we have paid extra for battery warranty which gives us the opportunity to send broken batteries to dell and we get new ones for free. We'll see what happens when Dell and other big companies start to ask Microsoft, what is going on. Im more than willing to let big boys do the fighting! ;)

Very interesting post highlighting the fact that the issue affects laptops from various manufacturers, and affects new batteries just the same as older ones.

It probably will come to the big manufacturers slugging it out, but that doesn't help the end users who are getting screwed out of batteries. I hope Microsoft does the right thing here -- it would definitely tarnish the goodwill they've created with the otherwise excellent Windows 7.

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hello Madboy,

I have 10 ACER 3680 laptops which I use for training and I put win 7 on three of them so far on my way to upgrading all 10 to win7. I also did the same thing and took the HD from one of the vista laptops and have put it on the three running win 7 with the same results as you, the batteries last for about 1.5 to 2 hours while with win 7 they now only last 20 min and this morning one of the battereis no longer takes a charge. the bad thing is that once the battery goes, this bad battery no longer takes a charge on either win 7, vista or XP.

It is a Microsoft thing and this Chris gentleman does not seem to have a clue as to what is happening. if we don't get a solution soon, we need to go the class action suit to get our money back. I'm running win 7 in plugged mode 100% and anly use battery with XP whenever I travel to keep ma email and such going. this puts a crinp on my training business because we're depending of win 7/win 2008 connectivity with SharePoint....So Chris is you're reading this,,, you better start getting ready to pay for defective systems real soon.... and it's not going to be small potatoes....

Carlos

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:10 PM
  • You are right about that however there is a wider issue here, its all well and good big manufacturers replacing batterys as they cost them little to produce, however what about the independant battery suppliers i.e. ebay stockists ect, how many batterys can they replace free in effect before suffering financially worst case go out of business? microsoft does need to act soon as there are many people in many ways who will be affected.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 8:43 PM
  • your right about dead bats, i have four of them in total now! no more windows 7 on any laptop until this is sorted. i wont hold my breath tho!
    Friday, March 19, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Very interesting post highlighting the fact that the issue affects laptops from various manufacturers, and affects new batteries just the same as older ones.
    Trust me, nothing will be done, and this post confirms it as you call "very interesting" the fact that this affects different brands and new batteries as well. Not to offend you, but all of this has already been said hundreds of messages above. Which means that this thread is already going in circles. Time to close this convesation, there's no point in keeping on it. Over. Out.
    • Proposed as answer by true-false Friday, March 19, 2010 10:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anthony_Mann Monday, March 22, 2010 1:47 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 10:29 PM
  • your right about dead bats, i have four of them in total now! no more windows 7 on any laptop until this is sorted. i wont hold my breath tho!

I have run windows 7 on my HP laptop since it came out, an I still have no problems. I recommened getting an HP!
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:36 AM
  • I have run windows 7 on my HP laptop since it came out, an I still have BIG problems with batteries. I don't recommened getting an HP!
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:47 AM
  • I've Had my laptop running windows 7 for months. The wear on my battery has never increased. I have at least a couple of hours battery.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:49 AM
  • I have a Dell Inspiron M1330 and had this same issue with my battery.  Shortly after installing Windows 7 I received the error messages telling me that my battery should be replaced.  I replaced the battery and installed the BatteryBar tool 2 weeks ago.  So far I have had 0% degradation.  So far so good.  My system was about 2 years old, so it was feasible that the battery was failing. The new battery seems to be holding up.

Full Disclosure - I am a Dell employee, and these comments are my own personal opinion.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:51 AM
  • do ya think it could be windows 7 compatibility mixing with the battery bar tool draining the battery?
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:59 AM
  • I'm just offering suggestions.

Mabe... Windows 7 isn't even charging the battery fully in the first place. It might just say it is...

I leave my laptop on the charger every time I possibly can. (Days on end) So, I might not have a problem if windows charges it slowly.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:02 AM
  • AMD Madboy,

In reading your posts regarding your experience with an HP dv6500, it appears you have several batteries which are showing the "Consider replacing..." message, but seem to have adequate battery life in Vista/XP.  Have you run the powercfg /energy on this machine for these batteries and compared the reported numbers for Design Capacity to the printed numbers on the batteries to ensure they are correct?  Additionally, in your reported case where you are seeing 90mins+ battery life on Vista/XP and then 20 minutes on Windows 7 and you revert back to the previous OS with adequate battery life, I am very interested in gathering more information about the details of this system and seeing the energy reports.  Please contact me at WPE@microsoft.com, so I can better understand what you are seeing.

Thanks,
    Chris[MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Lepspickl Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anthony_Mann Monday, March 22, 2010 1:49 PM
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

here the solution for the battery problem with win7:

1) you must deactivate the ACPI battery controll in the control panel

2) than you must discharge completely the battery

3) than recharge the battery

4) after you have charged the battery completely you can reactivate the ACPI battery control in the control panel

5) i think the problem is solved

Regards - Elmar from Southtirol

Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:14 PM
  • CHRIS:

It has been awhile since I could reply. My battery wear was at 33% and is clibming now at 34.93% wear.

I have a HP pavilion dv9731ca lapotop. It is a 8 cell battery and has ability at 88,000 mWh and is now at 57,779 mWh (34% wear!)

Errors

The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is on battery power.
    The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is plugged in.
    The display is not configured to automatically dim after a period of inactivity.
    Serial Number
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 88800
    Last Full Charge 60621

Hello Roland;

Thanks for posting your energy report here.  Can you please compare the powercfg /energy report for Design Capacity (88,800 MWHr shown above) to the printed numbers on the batteries to verify the reported values?  Was your battery ever able to charge to the reported design capacity, as the report above shows the new battery is only able to charge to 68% of its reported design capcity.

Also, you have many errors in your energy report, including you are running in high performance mode, which will significantly reduce your battery run time for a full charge.

Thanks,
    Chris[MSFT]

Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Thanks for your solution but it 's not good.

I tried with 2 batterys without success !

Infortunely, it's not the solution to resolve thus bug ..

Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Dragao13,

Regards,
    Chris [MSFT]

I ever contacted microsoft service by phone, and I ever gived all the informations about my laptop without results !!!

I repeat : If, We install Vista, XP or Linux, there is no more problems with battery (I tested with Vista and Ubuntu Linux), i' m using my battery with Vista and when i run powercfg -energy, result is ok, Wear don't change !

After 1 month using Vista, I installed again Windows 7 and after 2 weeks, battery's capacity decrease and after I returned to Vista and the capacity stop to decrease !!!

It's a fact, this big ____ of Windows 7 destroy our batteries !!!

Dragao13;

I am sorry, but I am unable to understand what is meant by "I ever contacted microsoft service by phone, and I ever gived all the informations about my laptop without results".  Are you saying that you have contacted Microsoft support already? If so, I am not aware of the details of your situation. I have consistently reached out to you through this forum to contact me directly at WPE@microsoft.com to gather additional details about what you are reporting and better understand what you are reporting here, but you have not chosen to reply.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hey forum,

i never thought i would need to have to post on these forums but seems times have changed and time to put my two pence in seeing as i not also have the consider replacing battery annoyance.

heres some of the info about my laptop

System Product Name HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
    BIOS Date 08/18/2009
    BIOS Version F.17
    OS Build 7600

but the interesting part is i only installed windows 7 a month ago i did a test before installing windows7 as i saw this psot about the battery problem with powercfg /energy and i got these results

Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 34486
    Last Full Charge (%)

now at the current time the readings are as follows

Design Capacity 47520
    Last Full Charge 16243
    Last Full Charge (%) 34

some how i find that hard to understand how i have lost so much battery life as i don't use it hardly ever on it's battery, and when i do i get around 40 minutes out of the battery when i used to get around 90-120 minutes.

i seriously do hope they find a solution to this problem soon or MS are going to be having a lot of angry customers just from how long its been going on so far.

Hello Rathal;

You said you ran the powercfg /energy report prior to installing Windows 7; can you please share your method for doing so?

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

4) after you have charged the battery completely you can reactivate the ACPI battery control in the control panel

It does NOT work for me.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Hello Madboy,

I have 10 ACER 3680 laptops which I use for training and I put win 7 on three of them so far on my way to upgrading all 10 to win7. I also did the same thing and took the HD from one of the vista laptops and have put it on the three running win 7 with the same results as you, the batteries last for about 1.5 to 2 hours while with win 7 they now only last 20 min and this morning one of the battereis no longer takes a charge. the bad thing is that once the battery goes, this bad battery no longer takes a charge on either win 7, vista or XP.

It is a Microsoft thing and this Chris gentleman does not seem to have a clue as to what is happening. if we don't get a solution soon, we need to go the class action suit to get our money back. I'm running win 7 in plugged mode 100% and anly use battery with XP whenever I travel to keep ma email and such going. this puts a crinp on my training business because we're depending of win 7/win 2008 connectivity with SharePoint....So Chris is you're reading this,,, you better start getting ready to pay for defective systems real soon.... and it's not going to be small potatoes....

Carlos

Hello Carlos;

Please contact me at wpe@microsoft.com regarding your ACER systems.  It appears from your report that you have a reproducible scenario with two hard drives and the same battery that shows Vista with 90-120 mins of battery life and Windows 7 with 20 minutes.  This is definitely a scenario we ould like to investigate with you and get some diagnostics from both Vista and Windows 7 on this ACER platform.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Case 1

JiiKoo123;

A 50% DC/LFC on a brand new battery is completely abnormal.  Please contact me at wpe@microsoft.com to provide additional details and your energy report on the new battery.  Also, did you calibrate this battery for first use?

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:09 PM
  • i'm frustrated because i'm engineer in electronic research and development and build smart battery systems but i can't find the asus G72 battery pinout on the web.

i can't connect the battery for tests without this infomration.

the best way to confirm the battery wear is to use a battery recognized as "50% wear" and connect it to a load to make some measurements (charge and discharge) directly on the cells.

the strange thing about my girlfriend laptop is the battery voltage.

i have 0 volts at the output terminals but some manufacturers use an output enable signal.

i've asked asus a new battery pack but they want the entire PC!

i can open the "old" (4 months)  pack if they send a new pack to me.

this is very frustrating to have this problem knowing how to help for a solution but to be blocked by the warranty void....

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Hey me back again :D Well I just let it run out till it died, then rebooted and ran powercfg and got the following results;

Battery ID Sony Corp.
    Manufacturer Sony Corp.
    Serial Number  
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 57720
    Last Full Charge 54320

Obviously nothing unusual there is there? All is fine nothing to see here move along, and yes Chris, I have been in touch with you, yes I did run your little program you asked me to download, and yes I let it download and install whatever it wanted.
    See those last 2 items? That indicates my battery is almost perfect ( as it should be as I VERY rarely use my machine on battery). So how come my battery only lasts a few minutes ?

Hello solarboy;

It seems you have been in contact with our support organization, but your system still has issues.  I am working with our support team, but am not part of the normal support channel, so I am not aware of your case details.  In looking through your earlier posts, it appears you have a Sony SZ.  I can see from your energy reports that your battery Design Capacity and Last Full Charge values are very erratic.  In your previous posts you describe enigmatic behavior related to charging and the reported values from your battery.  Please contact me directly at wpe@microsoft.com and identify yourself and your support case details and I will look into it further to see if I can help.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:33 PM
  • I have the same problem with my LG R500.
    I've bought a new battery and after a few hours it was already showing the same message as with the older battery.

System Manufacturer    LG Electronics
    System Product Name    R500-C.CP52P
    BIOS Date        10/15/2007
    BIOS Version        COLSSF11
    OS Build        7600

Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:14 PM

Battery ID Sony Corp.
    Manufacturer Sony Corp.
    Serial Number  
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 57720
    Last Full Charge 54320

Hello solarboy;

It seems you have been in contact with our support organization, but your system still has issues.  I am working with our support team, but am not part of the normal support channel, so I am not aware of your case details.  In looking through your earlier posts, it appears you have a Sony SZ.  I can see from your energy reports that your battery Design Capacity and Last Full Charge values are very erratic.  In your previous posts you describe enigmatic behavior related to charging and the reported values from your battery.  Please contact me directly at wpe@microsoft.com and identify yourself and your support case details and I will look into it further to see if I can help.

Thanks,
    Chris [MSFT]

My energy reports have been really erratic too chris....so are the energy reports for 90 percent of the people who've posted on this forum. 
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:54 PM
  • @Chris. At what point do you think we way expect a definitive solution to this problem. Clearly this is not an issue with any specific make or model of laptop, nor any specific make or model of battery.

To keep telling us that you have not seen any complaints of this nature is no longer acceptable (just read the last 8 parts of this thread)

I think you are getting very close to class action if you do not come up with a solution very soon.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I posted a couple of times during the past few months regarding my total loss of battery time since upgrading to windows 7 from vista. I'v also been checking back here weekly to hopefully read about a solution to this situation.  Tired of waiting and with absolutley no solution in sight, I spent most of this morning rolling my Dell  laptop back to vista (luckily I had an old system image from right before my windows 7 upgrade a few months ago). I'm now going to install a newly purchased battery and i hope it wasn't too adversly affected by its being installed just once for a few minutes while still running windows 7
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Chris,

I received your forum reply but the email was taken out of the message. If you work for microsoft, you should be able to see my profile and get my email or my phone and I would glad to work with you on this problem. I'm currently on the road but maybe we can make some type of arrangement....

In any case please look at my profile to get to my email address or phone...

carlos

Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Mac: Hello, im a Mac

PC: Hello, im a PC

Mac: How are you today PC?

PC: ZZZzzzzzzz.

oh dear! when will ms realise that this is a real problem? either fix it or buy me a lifetime supply of batteries i can work through! im down to 8% now which only lasts around 10 mins. :@ grrr! even though i have a dual boot pc the windows vista partition doesnt hold battery either :@ FIX IT! ITS BEEN 4 MONTHS NOW! you incompetent baboon arses!

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:15 PM

• CHRIS:

Errors

Serial Number
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 88800
    Last Full Charge 60621

Hello Roland;

Thanks for posting your energy report here.  Can you please compare the powercfg /energy report for Design Capacity (88,800 MWHr shown above) to the printed numbers on the batteries to verify the reported values?  Was your battery ever able to charge to the reported design capacity, as the report above shows the new battery is only able to charge to 68% of its reported design capcity.

Also, you have many errors in your energy report, including you are running in high performance mode, which will significantly reduce your battery run time for a full charge.

Thanks,
    Chris[MSFT]

Well I bought this battery 2 weeks ago? It has a capacity of 88,000? Soon as I plugged it into windows 7 it's reporting a 34% wear level??

Doesn't sound right to me...

HP DV9731ca using battery: http://h10084.www1.hp.com/canada/products/landing/consumer-accessories/8_cell_replacement_battery.html

Only a few weeks ago and soon as I plugged it in it had a 34% wear...

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:35 PM
    Serial Number
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 88800
    Last Full Charge 60621

Hello Roland;

Can you please compare the powercfg /energy report for Design Capacity (88,800 MWHr shown above) to the printed numbers on the batteries to verify the reported values?

Well I bought this battery 2 weeks ago? It has a capacity of 88,000? Soon as I plugged it into windows 7 it's reporting a 34% wear level??

HP DV9731ca using battery: http://h10084.www1.hp.com/canada/products/landing/consumer-accessories/8_cell_replacement_battery.html

Roland;

Again, can you please compare what is being reported as Design Capacity to the values physically printed on the battery labels.

-Chris

Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:12 PM
  • 65WHr i think like described here with the battery P/N

http://www.atbatt.com/product/19642.asp

Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

i tried it and right now my batterie isnt charging at all anymore. Before deactivated the acpi driver my battery last for about 50 minutes...when i  disconnect the charger now my notebook immediately shutts off...

after step 4. the battery symbol told me 0% charge, after 3 hours i got 71% but when i disconnect the AC plug my pc will shutt of immediatley...

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:05 PM
  • exactly same thing on my pc after i've tried to disable the ACPI one month ago.

now my battery stay @ 78% charge and the laptop turn off immediatly when the AC plug is disconnected.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:24 PM
  • hi,

has anybody an idea why the battery isnt working at all anymore after deactivating the acpi driver in

Hardware - Battery - Acpi battery control - "deactivate"

i just recognized that the driver is a MS driver published in 2006 and using "search for new drivers" it said i would used the most up to date driver?

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:26 AM
  • hi,

has anybody an idea why the battery isnt working at all anymore after deactivating the acpi driver in

Hardware - Battery - Acpi battery control - "deactivate"

i just recognized that the driver is a MS driver published in 2006 and using "search for new drivers" it said i would used the most up to date driver?

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:26 AM
    Serial Number
    Chemistry LION
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 88800
    Last Full Charge 60621

Hello Roland;

Can you please compare the powercfg /energy report for Design Capacity (88,800 MWHr shown above) to the printed numbers on the batteries to verify the reported values?

Roland;

Again, can you please compare what is being reported as Design Capacity to the values physically printed on the battery labels.

-Chris

the physical battery says nothing.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Chris,

I received your forum reply but the email was taken out of the message. If you work for microsoft, you should be able to see my profile and get my email or my phone and I would glad to work with you on this problem. I'm currently on the road but maybe we can make some type of arrangement....

In any case please look at my profile to get to my email address or phone...

carlos

Carlos,

As the forum owner, I can tell you that for privacy reasons, we cannot lookup your email address or phone number unless you provide it in your public profile. Please contact Chris as he requested at wpe@microsoft.com.

Thanks

-Tony Mann

Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Good day. I have a Toshiba A300 - 1ja bought in oct 2008 and I have upgraded my vista to win7 rc and got the same problem :( (Centrino COre 2 Duo 2.23 Ghz, 4gb ddram, 250 gb etc.)

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name ROCKY-PC
    Scan Time 2010-03-21T10:54:08Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
    System Product Name Satellite A300
    BIOS Date 12/07/2009
    BIOS Version 2.20
    OS Build 7600
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 49
    Thread Count 616
    Report GUID {71c4cd14-6594-4cd4-8015-dbc06611b0b9}

Analysis Results

Errors

Battery ID 0DB0PA3534U-1BRS
    Design Capacity 43200
    Last Full Charge 8338
    Last Full Charge (%) 19

Warnings

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is moderate
    The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 2.57
    Process Name TuneUpUtilitiesService64.exe
    PID 2216
    Average Utilization (%) 0.34
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.17
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\TuneUp Utilities 2010\TuneUpUtilitiesService64.exe 0.03
    \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys 0.03
    Process Name System
    PID 4
    Average Utilization (%) 0.25
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.13
    \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys 0.02
    \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys 0.02

Information

Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156000
    Plan Name OEM Balanced
    Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
    Personality Balanced
    Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
    Personality Balanced
    USB Suspend:Analysis Success
    Battery ID 0DB0PA3534U-1BRS
    Manufacturer
    Serial Number 0DB0
    Chemistry Li-i
    Long Term 1
    Design Capacity 43200
    Last Full Charge 8338
    S1 Sleep Supported false
    S2 Sleep Supported false
    S3 Sleep Supported true
    S4 Sleep Supported true
    Group 0
    Index 0
    Idle (C) State Count 3
    Performance (P) State Count 4
    Group 0
    Index 1
    Idle (C) State Count 3
    Performance (P) State Count 4
    Monday, March 22, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Hello people;

Mister Chris is there news about the battery's bug ?

During this time, Microsoft don't have an idea about the problem ???

Monday, March 22, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Notice: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED!

This conversation continues onto Part 9.

The last thread in the conversation is Part 11.

If you have not already done so, please review the troubleshoot battery problems article and the consider replacing your battery article. For tips to conserve battery power please review the Conserving battery power article.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:16 AM