Windows 7 RC failed to install or rollback to Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Made an ISO DVD today to install Windows 7 RC on my wife's laptop (Compaq Presario CQ60-210US). Install (upgrade, not a clean boot) seemed to go fine but after one of the automatic reboots I got the message that the upgrade was not successful and that it was going to rollback to Vista (Home Premium). The laptop restarts but goes back to the same message without rolling back to Vista. Tried F8 safe boot and that eventually takes me back to the same place. I seem to be in some sort of loop of death. The only thing I notice different from the failed install is that the resolution is a little lower. Maybe it was a video driver issue that started this? Need help going forward or going back to Vista. Either one would be fine now!!
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:23 PM

Answers

• dorn78,

Are you able to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Vista from the DVD without actually formatting the partition which contains the data you're trying to access? That might do the trick.
    -Alex
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:15 AM

All replies

• dorn78,

If you boot to the DVD, can you do a repair?
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Good question. That's where I am now. I get to a low resolution window that gives me the choice to install windows 7 now (I worry that this will reformat my drive rather than upgrade) or "Repair your computer". This seems to be operating in Windows 7 based on startup logo and wallpaper. Clicked on "Repair your Computer" and I got two choices Windows 7 or Windows rollback. Tried both and neither work successfully. I am able to get to a command line prompt.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:09 AM
  • dorn78,

Well, start by trying to run chkdsk /f at the command line for that drive.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:11 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for all of your help on this.

Ran chkdsk /f. The only error it cam up with was:
    "Chkdsk discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system." Also "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."

Restarted. Unfortunately I am now back in the same loop of restarting with no success.
    • Proposed as answer by gregkret Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:59 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:02 AM
  • I have the same exact problem.  My E DVD drive does not write, but I installed a DVD write on an F drive.  I thought I set it up to write to F, but no disk wrote.  I am stuck in the same loop mentioned above, and I can think of nothing to do to get out of the loop.  Could I put my Vista program in to roll back to Vista?  I'm really stuck, thanks.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:40 AM
  • It's a longshot, but if you boot from your Windows Vista DVD, are you able to perform an automatic repair?

-Alex
    Monday, June 29, 2009 5:01 AM
  • That would be a longshot but will try that when I get home from work, that is if I can make a Vista dvd from my daughter's laptop. Like so many now days, my wife's laptop did not come with dvd's.
    My frustration is creeping in, so I have to add that I would not have gotten in to this mess if I hadn't believed the statement on the Windows 7 site that said you could safely upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 without the risk of losing files, etc.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Okay, still no luck restoring to Vista or going forward. I am able to use my dvd drive to boot but Windows does not find a problem it can repair. Any suggestions out there from Microsoft????
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:28 AM
  • dorn78,

Are you able to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Vista from the DVD without actually formatting the partition which contains the data you're trying to access? That might do the trick.
    -Alex
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Alex,

Thanks for responding. That sounds like a good thing to try. What do you mean by an in-place upgrade of Vista from the DVD? Sorry if I sound dense this morning.

Terry
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Terry,

No need to apologize ;-) By an in-place upgrade, I meant that you should try to install Windows Vista over the partition on which it is currently corrupted and hopefully still installed, without performing a clean installation and wiping the drive.
    -Alex
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:29 PM
  • As the MFT entries are quite complicated, this is only a suggestion. In the past, problems reporting missmatches in the MFT bitmap over the allocated entries was caused by having a large enough MFT to require the system to allocate another cluster to the bitmap or allocate another cluster to the MFT which is represented by the bitmap, but the install program missed that and the entry it is looking for is in the second map or extended MFT. This means that your file system has a lot of entries in it, but the installer for MS7 is not smart enough to notice the table expansion while adding files in the install, being designed for fresh install instead of upgrading. I don't suppose you made a full backup with system state of the system before trying the upgrade? That would be the easiest way out of this. The problem is usually fixed with a hotfix from Microsoft support, which because this is so new a release the fix has ether not been reported, is in the progress of being fixed, or has been fixed but you need to search the kb articles in support to find it. On a more cheerful note, I have seen problems after making an ISO image of an install for large programs where the Cert of some file does not make it on the burned DVD. The installer sees this, and tries to write the cert to the DVD, and gets an exception (Duh, I can't write to a DVD) which was not caught, so is passed back up the stack to the first handler it finds, and posts the wrong error to the installer, which kicks out of the install, leaving a mess. For that one, copy the whole disk to the hard disk, TAKE THE DVD OUT OF THE DRIVE and install from the harddisk. In your case, it may be too late for that. (I work with NTFS File systems, I do not work for Microsoft, so good luck, sorry for how big this is, but you picked a hard question)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:32 PM