Slow WD Passport RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 320 GB WD Passport, the usual data transfer rate is 18 MB/s lately I've only been having transfer speeds of 6 kb/s.  I've googled this to death so far and found nothing except for possible answers that would only work in XP.  My system is current on software and driver updates.  I have a 1TB hard drive that works perfectly fine.  I've replaced the data cable and I've alternated USB slots.  The hard drive is only about 8 months old and has about 216 GB of music on it. Formating is not an option.  I am currently still doing a disk check that seems to creep along at about a couple of files an hour.  The speed starts off at about 20 MB/s and quickly drops to 6 KB/s by the time Windows explorer finally gets around to moving the files.  Also my hard drive takes a while before the computer even realizes its connected.

System Specifications:
    HP Pavilion DV9640US (purchased in December 2007)
    32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5 GHz
    2GB RAM

Note:
    I would like to save the information on the hard drive, so formatting is not an option.
    Keep the solution as cheap as possible.
    I do not want to send it in, that will happen if nothing else works.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Firstly, please ensure that the WD Passport is compatible with Windows Vista.

You can check the compatibility information of the device via the following site:

Windows Vista Compatibility Center

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/default.aspx

2.    Based on my experience, I also suspect this issue is related to the device. If there is a new driver or firmware for the device released, please also apply it.

3.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see if this problem is gone.

4.    Boot the system to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs.

5.    Please ensure that all the updates have been applied and check the issue with the following Knowledge Base:

How to improve the performance and reliability of Windows Vista if you cannot upgrade to Windows Vista Service Pack 1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

6.    Please perform a Clean Boot to check the issue.

Clean boot

=================

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

7.    If you have another computer, please plug the disk to it and check how it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Firstly, please ensure that the WD Passport is compatible with Windows Vista.

You can check the compatibility information of the device via the following site:

Windows Vista Compatibility Center

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/default.aspx

2.    Based on my experience, I also suspect this issue is related to the device. If there is a new driver or firmware for the device released, please also apply it.

3.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see if this problem is gone.

4.    Boot the system to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs.

5.    Please ensure that all the updates have been applied and check the issue with the following Knowledge Base:

How to improve the performance and reliability of Windows Vista if you cannot upgrade to Windows Vista Service Pack 1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

6.    Please perform a Clean Boot to check the issue.

Clean boot

=================

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

7.    If you have another computer, please plug the disk to it and check how it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:36 AM
  • I did all of that and it will not work on any of my computers, (Windows Vista, 7, XP, Mac OSX, or Ubuntu linux) Now it won't even mount, and I can't force mount it either.  Its still under warranty and most of the information on it is saved on another computer so I'll have to exchange it.  Thanks for the help.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:35 PM