none
Odd Comparison Conundrum RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, I work in a weird environment. We record and transcode files - LOTS of files.

I need a script that can go into our root network directory, look through all of the subfolders (one for each course), and compare by length all of the .wmv files in each folder (one for each class meeting) with the other three file types that have been transcoded (.mp3, .mp4, .m4v).

The purpose being that our transcoding process gets hung occasionally and spits out a corrupt file. The .wmv files are the originating files, and I'm wanting to compare the lengths of the .wmv to the other file types so I know if they've transcoded incorrectly (rather than going through 120+ files across 60 different folders each day by hand). I'd like a list of the files that have a length difference of more than 2 minutes so that I can take care of those files.

The filenames for each of the file types match with the format of CourseName_Date with the date reflecting the date of recording, and each folder in the root directory has the same CourseName folder.

EX:

\\ServerLocation\CurrentSemester\CourseName\CourseName_Date.wmv/.mp4/.mp3/.m4v

If this makes sense, will one of you please get me pushed in the right direction?

Monday, April 7, 2014 9:01 PM

Answers

• That's fair. Let me see what I can come up with and go from there.

Thank you for the acknowledgment!

• Marked as answer by Scooter Wood Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:03 PM

All replies

• Both PowerShell and VBScript could easily do the job. Respondents in this forum will gladly assist posters with scripting problems but unfortunately they will not write turn-key solutions on request. You need to learn yourself how to script or else engage a consultant.
    Monday, April 7, 2014 9:09 PM
  • The file lengths will  ever compare. Different technologies will always have different lengths.  I suggest contacting a trained technical consultant to help you sort this out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:25 PM

• Marked as answer by Scooter Wood Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:03 PM

What is the answer.  You marked your acknowledgment as an answer.  It doesn't appear to answer anything.  Normally we mark the answer from a user who provided the correct information or direction.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:44 PM