How do I get the Sender's name to display on SMS text message viewed in Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello 

How do I get the Sender's name to display on SMS text message viewed in Outlook?

J

PS I know this question has been asked before but that was 5 years ago and we are still not getting any answers from Microsoft!
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/fc8d6e32-4283-468e-80d6-2b36dde4fc7c/outlook-text-message-senders-name-doesnt-display

• Moved by Manu Meng Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:00 AM relocate
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 1:41 PM

All replies

• I recommend that you post this in the Outlook Forum:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 7:10 PM
  • Hi,

What’s the detailed version of Outlook? As far as I know, this feature to send and receive text messages (SMS) was retired after Office 2010.

Does it happen to all the senders or specific one? Can you reproduce this issue on OWA?

Please check whether you have two duplicate contacts in Outlook for the sender.

Currently, I cannot help testing it here. Please try installing the newest updates to see if it helps.

Besides, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Any updates, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:56 AM
  • I am using "Microsoft Office 365 Business, version 1809 (Build 10827.20181) Monthly channel". I understand ms Exchange is in the cloud.

It happens in all senders. No, there are no duplicate contacts.

On my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Android 5.0) I am using Outlook, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and Nine. I now suspect that the email may be being generated by something on my mobile phone. 

Either way is there any way to get Outlook to convert the name in the email "From:" field from being just a phone number into showing the name of the contact? 

J

Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:22 AM
  • Hi ship691,

>>On my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Android 5.0) I am using Outlook, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and Nine. I now suspect that the email may be being generated by something on my mobile phone. 

Are you using Outlook for Android app on your phone? Do you mean to show the sender's name on Outlook app?

As far as I know, Outlook 2016 version 1809 doesn't support sending SMS messages to phone numbers.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, October 26, 2018 9:07 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 1, 2018 6:37 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 9:07 AM