none
Troubles with Transport Rule and AttachmentProcessingLimitExceeded predicate

Question

• Hi All

We have a lot of transport rules and one of them with predicate:

Name              : AttachmentProcessingLimitExceeded
    LinkedDisplayText : when an attachment processing limit is exceeded<a id="AttachmentProcessingLimitExceeded"></a>

How co configure Limits for This Predicate or Transport for processing? ( We have a lot of messages with false positive )

P.S Exchange 2013 CU10

Best Wishes, Andrew Golubenkoff

Friday, January 22, 2016 10:23 AM

Answers

• I have gotten an answer of sorts from someone at Microsoft.  I've asked whether this also applies to on-premises and if it can be changed.

Exchange Online supports up to 1MB of extracted text.  If a document’s extracted text exceeds 1MB, then this condition would return True during rule processing. (Note that this is *extracted* text, not attachment size.)

Here are a couple of references on this and related topics.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:48 PM
  • I just received a response.  I am advised that there is no supported way to change the setting.  If you want to escalate that, I recommend you open a ticket with Microsoft Support.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:38 AM

All replies

• I'm trying to find out.  Please stand by.

Friday, January 22, 2016 8:49 PM
  • Hi,

This condition name in EAC is "any attachment didn’t complete scanning". It matches messages when an attachment is not inspected by the transport rules agent. It can be used to create rules that work together with other attachment processing rules and gives you the ability to handle messages whose content couldn't be fully scanned.

Since you have a lot of transport rules, are there any other rules related to attachment? I am still working on this condition. Your clue of other transport rules may help us.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Yes, total ~10 rules working with attachments.

It is critical to us because of pci-dss ( we need to be shure to block all pci-dss related content ) - but some messages goes to "any attachment didn’t complete scanning" and should me manually checked. Thanks for your help. Waiting for resolution.

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Hi, Any news?

We still have a lot of messages with any attachment didn’t complete scanning"

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:36 AM
  • Hi,

Please can you check for any scanning issues in the transport agent logs:

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\AgentLog
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Hub\AgentLog

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com   LinkedIn:    Twitter:   

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

All this folders are empty :(

Very strange, because for all servers AgentLog Enabled & Path are correct

How to start logging for agent log??

Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:54 AM
  • AgentLog files  present only @EDGE Servers - cas & mailbox servers agentlog folders empty

Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

Did you find anything of note in these logs on the EDGE server?

Thanks.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010, MCTS SQL 2012, MCTS SharePoint 2007, VCP4, VCP5, CCNA

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com   LinkedIn:    Twitter:   

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:07 PM
  • No, all is ok.

As far as i know edge servers have own rules, and Organizaion Rules not processes on Edge.

Also i have a lot items with attachment not supported - mostly .tar.gz, 7z archives and old .doc .xls files

Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:48 PM
  • I have gotten an answer of sorts from someone at Microsoft.  I've asked whether this also applies to on-premises and if it can be changed.

Exchange Online supports up to 1MB of extracted text.  If a document’s extracted text exceeds 1MB, then this condition would return True during rule processing. (Note that this is *extracted* text, not attachment size.)

Here are a couple of references on this and related topics.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:48 PM
  • Hi thanks,

It it $true for Exchange on-premises?

This is very strange - because  for example excel files - 8MB -processed OK, but some 200Kb file marked as scan not completed.

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:33 AM
  • I have been advised that it applies to on-premises.  Am waiting to find out whether it can be changed.

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Hi, do you have any new information ?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:21 PM
  • I just received a response.  I am advised that there is no supported way to change the setting.  If you want to escalate that, I recommend you open a ticket with Microsoft Support.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:38 AM