Update from Windows 8.0 to windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-A Laptop that came with Windows 8.0 installed at purchase after taking a update to Windows 8.1 the DVD drive now isn't recognized any more. I've uninstalled the dvd driver and reinstalled them and my dvd drive still doesn't work and my laptop is only 6 months old.
    Friday, May 30, 2014 3:33 AM

All replies

• A simple test to determine if it is a driver issue or a faulty DVD drive (yes it can be bad at 6 months old, I have seen them bad out of the box) would be to use a Windows install disk and see if the machine will boot from the DVD. You may have to hold down one of the function keys to access the boot menu. Refer to your laptops owners manual on how to boot from the DVD drive. Alternatively you can try tapping the F1 through F12 keys until you access the boot menu.

If the drive boots the disk then chances are the drive is OK and your problem is some sort of driver compatibility issues or the resources for the drive are not allocated correctly in the operating system. If the drive does not boot the disk, you have a bad drive.

fr0stsp1re

• Edited by Adrian.R Friday, May 30, 2014 3:39 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 3:39 AM