none
World Wide Web Publishing Service won't start - OWA not working as a result.

Question

• I have a client who reported to me that OWA was not working on the SBS 2011 server. The server has been in place for about 10 months and OWA has always worked without any problems.

After examining the server I noticed that the WWW Publishing Service was not started and nor would it start. Attempting to start the service gives the following error:

Windows could not start the World Wide Web Publishing service on local computer. Error 1068:The dependency service or group failed to start

The dependency service is the Windows Process Activation Service. Attempting to start this service gives the following error:

Windows could not start the Windows Process Activation Service on the local computer. Error 6801 – Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error.

The Event Log shows the following errors immediately after:

1. The Windows Process Activation Service terminated with the following error: Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error. Event ID 7023.
    2. The World Wide Web Publishing Service depends on the Windows Process Activation Service which failed to start because of the following error: Transcation support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error. Event ID 7001.
    3. The configuration manager for Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) did not initialize. The data field contains the error number. Event ID 5005.
    4. The Windows Process Activation Service failed to generate an application pool config file for application pool ‘*’. The error type is “0”. To resolve this issue, please ensure that the applicationhost.config file is correct and recommit the last configuration changes made. Event ID 5189.

All of the Sites in IIS are stopped as are the Application Pools.

The IIS Admin Service is running.

I tried restoring a backup of the applicationhost.config file but this made no difference.

I also tried testing the applicationhost.config file using Apcmd.exe as per Microsoft site here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd364180%28WS.10%29.aspx) = no errors were found with the file.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? It's strange as OWA has been working absolutely fine - this is a small business where the server just chugs along and no changes have been made.

I don't work for Microsoft - I just use their products.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I understand the key of this issues is that can’t start the Windows Process Activation Service. Please check the related registry for WAS, follow the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WAS\Environment. If the environment value is blank, please replace it with Cor_Enable_Profiling=0x0 allowed the service to start and everything returned to normal.

Also, you can manually open applicationHost.config, comment/remove the application pool entry if there has '*'. Since '*' is an invalid name for application pool. And then try start the service again.

For more details, please refer to the similar question. Note: Do backup for you applicationHost.config file before you making any changes to it manually.

Windows Process Activation Service - wont start

http://forums.iis.net/t/1187901.aspx

This issue may occur if the file system transaction log is corrupted somehow. So, as a workaround, you can run the following command in the command prompt:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

This assumes that the system drive is C:. Reboot is required after running the command.

Set the setautoreset parameter to true to specify that the Transaction Resource Manager will clean the transactional metadata on the next mount, by default.

Detailed operation, please refer to the following article.

IIS services fail to start: "Windows could not start the Windows Process Activation Service - Error 6801: Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error" when WAS service is started

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/amb/archive/2011/06/21/iis-service-startup-problem-error-6801-transaction-support-within-the-specified-resource-manager-is-not-started-or-was-shut-down-due-to-an-error.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, September 20, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Thanks. A restart of the server fixed the problem.

I don't work for Microsoft - I just use their products.

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:00 AM