none
GPO for Windows 10 power settings

Question

• Hello,

I need to make sure when users close the lid on their Windows 10 laptops it 'does nothing'.  I've installed RSAT on a Windows 10 PC and in I can see I can set this under Computer or User and use Item level targeting for Windows 10.

Do you think it's best to user User or Computer?

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:11 PM

All replies

• Hi.

It depends if you want to apply this policy to users or computers. If you want to apply it for example to all laptops which are in OU laptops, you can set this policy in Computer part and apply this policy to OU laptops.

For me this would be the best option for example.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:20 PM
  • Thanks, if I want to target all our Windows 10 laptops, could I just add a user policy to the root of the domain and use authenticated users and target windows 10 only machines?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:18 PM
  • On the Windows 2012r2 DC I can't choose Win10 on the item level targeting, but I can if I use my GPO manager on my Win10 PC, will it still get deployed even though the 2012 server can't read it?

If I do a good modelling wizard on 2012 DC or Win10 machine and have item targeting to Win10 only machines is says in the results it can't find the file specified and says it will fail, if I remove the targeting is changes to success.

Does that sound right, or an issue somewhere?

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:48 PM
  • > On the Windows 2012r2 DC I can't choose Win10 on the item level targeting, but I can if I use my GPO manager on my Win10 PC, will it still get deployed even though the 2012 server can't read it?
    > If I do a good modelling wizard on 2012 DC or Win10 machine and have item targeting to Win10 only machines is says in the results it can't find the file specified and says it will fail, if I remove the targeting is changes to success.

Thats correct. The os version is a node attribute in the underlying xml. 2012R2 does not understand the W10 value in this attribute, but clients that do understand it will happily apply the setting.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:15 PM