media player not playing wma files WINDOWS 10 RRS feed

• Question

• My new laptop got my old music files from my old laptop via third party computer on a stick and media player 12 will not play wma files.  The files that won't play are ones I had the cd for.  I have tried several things none of which fixed it to include contacting Microsoft and letting them run the computer.  The sfc scan has been run twice, the media player has been uninstalled and installed something  like three times.  VLC and iTunes downloaded and files downloaded to iTunes have not converted to mp3 as expected, perhaps it is something with that I am not doing.  Many people on this and I appreciate the efforts  
    • Edited by pltsgt Friday, July 21, 2017 1:54 AM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:31 PM

All replies

• In Start Search copy paste the following command and follow the onscreen instructions:

msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, July 31, 2017 7:05 AM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:43 PM
  • Hi,

Is it available to play wma files with other media player,  such as Groove music?

Is it available to play other wma files which not copied from your old computer?

“the media player has been uninstalled and installed something ”

Windows Media Play is a build-in software, you could enable and disable it in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Turn Windows features on or off\Media features.

Try to check if you have associate wma file with Media Player.

Run Media Player troubshooting tool as S.Sengupta said is another way worth trying.

Best regards,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:57 AM
  • What's the exact error message that appears when WMP tries to play these files?

An educated guess: these files were ripped from CD using WMP with the Copy protect music option turned on. If that's indeed the case, then I'm afraid that the current WMA files aren't playable on any other PC from where they're originally ripped.

So this probably means that you will have to re-rip these songs from CD. Because of this, it's  recommended to always leave the Copy protect music option turned off.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Monday, July 24, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Bests,

Joy.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

I have not heard from you for several days, was the issue resolved now?

I will close the case temporarily, if you have any other concerns, please reply to us.

The case will re-open automatically when you reply.

Bests,

Joy.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:42 AM