unable to start the Document Conversions Launcher service on Sharepoint MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have installed Sharepoint MOSS 2007 on  windows server 2003 r2 standard 64 edition for development purposes.
    I am getting a Server Farm Configuration Not Complete message which tells me to that  I need to Assign services to servers. In the Services on Server window, I click Start on the Document Conversions Launcher service

and then the OK button in the Launcher Service Settings

However all that happens is that the Services on Server window displays again  with the Service status still as Stopped.

The same issue occurs when trying to start the Document Conversions Load Balancer Service.
    Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:59 AM

Answers

• Welcome to the TechNet forums.

Your post doesn't advise what fixes, if any you've tried, so you may have people offering things that you've already tried.  My suggestions would be: -

1. Read this kb article and try the suggestions within it.
    2. Look at the suggestion within this thread

Hope that helps,
    Thanks,
    Steven

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

• Marked as answer by learner1959 Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:08 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Welcome to the TechNet forums.

Your post doesn't advise what fixes, if any you've tried, so you may have people offering things that you've already tried.  My suggestions would be: -

1. Read this kb article and try the suggestions within it.
    2. Look at the suggestion within this thread

Hope that helps,
    Thanks,
    Steven

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

• Marked as answer by learner1959 Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:08 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply. I will follow your suggestions and update later, thanks again

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Hi Steven,

RE Suggestion 1

the Document Conversions Launcher Service displays a status of Starting. However, the Document Conversions Launcher Service does not start.

This does not apply in my case, the Status does not display a status of “Starting”

Also, it suggests this applies when adding a server to an existing farm

This issue occurs when you try to start the Document Conversions Launcher Service on a SharePoint Web Front-end server that was added to a farm environment in which at least one SharePoint Web Front-end server already exists.

In my case, this is the initial installation on a single server.

RE Suggestion 2

I tried the following,

• Try the following, this has worked on the same problem for several people.

1. You must log in with moss admin account before running these commands in a DOS window. Execute this command
    Cd %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin
    2. Execute this command:
    STSADM.EXE -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions.LauncherService, Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename DCLauncher
    3. Execute this command:
    iisreset /noforce
    4. Execute this command:
    STSADM.EXE -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions.LauncherService, Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename DCLauncher
    5. Execute the command
    iisreset /noforce
    6. Check that the status is set to Started to confirmed it has worked

When I execute the command at 2 above I get a message

Unprovision of service DCLauncher failed. Additional information: DCLauncher.

If this is a Web service, IIS must be restarted for the change to take effect.

To restart IIS, open a command prompt window and type "iisreset /noforce".

This command restarts Internet services

This process  has not fixed the issue, but the status has changed to “Error Starting” and suggests I look in the Server Event log.

The server event log tells me that an “attempt to start/stop instance of service Document Conversions Launcher Service did not succeed. Re run the action…”

which I did, but the issue remains.

Rory

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

I have uninstalled Sharepoint 2007 and reinstalled using the Basic configuration (avoiding the Server Farm option). This configuration will do me while I get familiar with Sharepoint. Thanks for the comments and advice.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:05 PM