none
SQL Server with IPv6 DHCP on CLuster RRS feed

• Question

• I am bit concerned with the option of installing SQL Server on cluster with IPv6 DHCP as SQL VIP. I wanted to ask your thoughts on using DHCP IPv6 as SQL VIP instead of IPv4 static address and any issues of using it.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:22 PM

Answers

• Most of the networks,if not all use old style of IP addressing.Only deploy IPV6 scheme if your infrastructure is prepared to support it[I have read this in one of Pro SQL 2008 clustering book].

IPv6 increases network IP address size to 128 bit from 32 bit.Windows server 2008 clustering introduced the use of DHCP-assigned IP addresses by the cluster services and it is supported by SQL Server 2008 clusters. It is recommended to use static IP addresses. This is because if some of our application depends on IP addresses, or in case of failure of renewing IP address from DHCP server, there would be a failure of IP address resources.

You might have to closely work with Network/OS/App team to decide on going with IPV6 and DHCP.

AnupSivaDas | Forum Support| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:44 PM

All replies

• Most of the networks,if not all use old style of IP addressing.Only deploy IPV6 scheme if your infrastructure is prepared to support it[I have read this in one of Pro SQL 2008 clustering book].

IPv6 increases network IP address size to 128 bit from 32 bit.Windows server 2008 clustering introduced the use of DHCP-assigned IP addresses by the cluster services and it is supported by SQL Server 2008 clusters. It is recommended to use static IP addresses. This is because if some of our application depends on IP addresses, or in case of failure of renewing IP address from DHCP server, there would be a failure of IP address resources.

You might have to closely work with Network/OS/App team to decide on going with IPV6 and DHCP.

AnupSivaDas | Forum Support| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Thanks Anup!

This is what I got from one our internal groups and though to share as I was not aware of it.

Windows Failover Clustering doesn’t have a DHCPv6 option. It definitely does have an option for auto-configuring an IPv6 address, though, using Stateless Address Auto-Configuration (SLAAC).  This is not the same as DHCP, in that it actually results in a static address that doesn’t change. Like a DHCP address, it also doesn’t require that the user specify the address to use up front, unlike a static IPv4 address.

• Edited by xs2varun Friday, September 2, 2011 1:26 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 1:25 AM