How do I change my citations to use brackets with numbers instead of names,years? RRS feed

• Question

• I created many citations and added bibliography at the end of a large document in MS Word 10 (docx format). Bibliography looks good, but everything else is not.

When I click on citations, they don't go to the bibliography. Instead, they turn into fields with a pull down error that has 4 options: Edit Citation, Edit Source, Convert citation to static text, Update Citations in Bibliography. I really don't want to see any of that. All I want it to click on my citation and it should take me to bibliography to that reference document. How do I do this?

I also need to turn all those citations into numbers in brackets and create links to bibliography. How do I do this?

I have never worked with Refrences, so I please use plain language.

Monday, October 6, 2014 12:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To my knowledge, this is how Citations & Bibliography feature works in word. We are not able to make it work in that way.

To achieve what you prefer, I would suggest you to use bookmarks instead of citations: https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Add-or-delete-bookmarks-d13f4bab-fb76-4e09-9c3a-239e1a0c1568

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:55 AM
  • Citation fields in Word don't hyperlink link to Bibliography field entries and can't be made to do so. The nearest you could get to that would require converting the Bibliography to plain text, bookmarking each entry, then selecting each corresponding citation and inserting a hyperlink to the bookmark.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To my knowledge, this is how Citations & Bibliography feature works in word. We are not able to make it work in that way.

To achieve what you prefer, I would suggest you to use bookmarks instead of citations: https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Add-or-delete-bookmarks-d13f4bab-fb76-4e09-9c3a-239e1a0c1568

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:55 AM
  • Citation fields in Word don't hyperlink link to Bibliography field entries and can't be made to do so. The nearest you could get to that would require converting the Bibliography to plain text, bookmarking each entry, then selecting each corresponding citation and inserting a hyperlink to the bookmark.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:21 AM