none
Transfer Data into MSPS from ISeries RRS feed

• Question

• How is the best way to transfer data from the ISeries/AS400 into Microsoft Project Server?  I would like to have an automated process setup to do this weekly or monthly.   Thanks

Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is a really vague question. I assume you are looking to pull data from an ERP system running on DB2? If this is what you are looking to do, I suggest you have a look at Campana and Schott's integration tool or other 3rd party vendors before you make a decision to build this yourself.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 11, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Hi there,

The company I work for also has a tool to help you called the Project Entity Importer

http://www.ipmo.com.au/productivity-tools/

Contact me if you need more info.

J.

James Boman IPMO http://www.ipmo.com.au @JBoman32768

Friday, July 11, 2014 2:09 PM
  • Yes this is pulling data from an ERP system.   I was hoping it was as simple as setting up an ODBC connection or somehow using and SQL database connection.  Is a purchased 3rd party the only solution?   Thanks
    Friday, July 11, 2014 7:57 PM
  • I am very much interested in your solution.   I have heard of PSLink but the cost is more than we are ready to take on right now.   As I stated above, I was hoping it was much simpler than that by using ODBC or something.   I will look into the PEI product you mentioned.   Are you happy with the way it works?  Thanks
    Friday, July 11, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Integrating through SQL is a very bad Idea, unless you are bringing data into the reporting database only and do not intend to pump it into project records. The database schema changes constantly, so Microsoft might break your integration several times a year. Further, this type of integration is not supported. You should use the APIs only for this.

That is why I suggest a third-party vendor. Buy is always more economical than build. What data do you want to integrate?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:14 PM
  • The PEI uses only the approved API method Gary mentioned to import data into Project Server from external databases on a schedule.

It works well and is a staple in many of our customer deployments.

Please email <information (at) ipmo.com.au> and we can discuss your needs.

J.

James Boman IPMO http://www.ipmo.com.au @JBoman32768

Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:17 AM
  • I am trying to pull time card information posted to projects into the PS environment.   Our employees post time outside of project server.  These postings are in the AS400 and I would like to pull them from there and load them into project server.   Do either of the products listed have API's that work with ISeries or is it only with SAP?    Any idea what the cost of the product would be?   I have pricing for PSLink and it is too much to consider at this time.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 12:56 AM