Microsoft Office viewer only RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I was given task to give users application that users will be able to view Microsoft office documents but not save them change the m or alter the documents in any way

Are there any viewers only applications so that user cannot save or modify document

Dalibor Bosic

Monday, April 29, 2019 12:34 PM

All replies

• Why not use pdf?

Are your users going to have access to the files? How will you prevent them from using the full-scale applications if they do?

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/979860/supported-versions-of-the-office-viewers.

Since there are online versions of the main applications, Microsoft decided that viewers were no longer needed.
    Microsoft Office Online Home

The online versions, though, allow for editing.

--------------

You can restrict editing in Word documents but that has to be done on a document-by-document basis.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, April 29, 2019 11:09 PM
  • Hi Dalibor,

Just follow and check the information shared by Charles. If you have anything unclear or any question on this, feel free to post back to let us help you.

Please remember to mark Charles's reply as answer if it helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 9:45 AM
  • Well i am just asking is there any application that i can install to just view documents

I know if they go to office portal they will open Word and edit the document however I hoped for some viewer that will just allow them to see documennts but not edit and save them

For now i will probably ask senders to save it as PDF but was just wondering if there is any solution without pdf if someone sends them word document they can just see it but not edit or save

Dalibor Bosic

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 1:31 AM
  • This is just a question so basically no matter what users will be able to edit and safe documents to One Drive i was hoping that i will be able to avoid that if that is not an option all documents sent to users will have to be saved as PDF

Dalibor Bosic

Monday, May 6, 2019 12:51 PM