Cortana and Web Browser RRS feed

• Question

• When installing Norton Internet Security, I see a compatibility problem with Microsoft Edge. Symantec tech support writes: "I would like to inform you that not only Norton but also all other security programs are not compatible with Microsoft Edge Browser." They write further:  "Edge is not compatible with Norton."

I do not want to blame: neither Microsoft, nor Symantec. I just would like to ask the forum:

a. Is this a general problem with all security programs?

b. What is the solution, or work-around (for now)?

Symantec technical support recommends me to set default browser to IE or Chrome. The problem is that when asking Cortana a question and clicking a link on her reply, Cortana automatically invokes MS Edge.  I cannot use Cortana if I want to be protected.

Please tell me the solution, workable work-around. Thanks.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:47 PM

Answers

• When installing Norton Internet Security, I see a compatibility problem with Microsoft Edge. Symantec tech support writes: "I would like to inform you that not only Norton but also all other security programs are not compatible with Microsoft Edge Browser." They write further:  "Edge is not compatible with Norton."

I do not want to blame: neither Microsoft, nor Symantec. I just would like to ask the forum:

Symantec technical support recommends me to set default browser to IE or Chrome. The problem is that when asking Cortana a question and clicking a link on her reply, Cortana automatically invokes MS Edge.  I cannot use Cortana if I want to be protected.

Sorry for the trouble. We hope to have compatibility with Edge soon. Check back here for updates: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-and-microsoft-edge-browser-compatibility

Thanks

Raj

Norton Support

Friday, May 6, 2016 6:43 AM

All replies

• The solution for the time being is to change default browser from Edge to IE or Chrome as suggested by Symantec technical support. This is also been documented here:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/in/home/current/solutions/v113038371_EndUserProfile_en_us

I shall suggest you to use Windows Defender (the default one) only and uninstall any third party internet security things.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:26 AM
  • Hi tttran,

The problem is that when asking Cortana a question and clicking a link on her reply, Cortana automatically invokes MS Edge.

It seems that these links are opened using Edge by default. We need change it to use Internet Explorer in control.

First, please find what type of files are opened via Microsoft Edge by default.

Then, change the default program to “Internet Explore”

In addition, here is a link about make Internet Explorer your default browser for your reference.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-11

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:42 AM

Sorry for the trouble. We hope to have compatibility with Edge soon. Check back here for updates: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-and-microsoft-edge-browser-compatibility

Thanks

Raj

Norton Support

Friday, May 6, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Thanks everybody.

tttran

Monday, May 9, 2016 9:31 PM
  • Hi tttran,

It is so glad that Norton Support has provided information here.

It seems that Norton will post an update in the future, looking forward to it comes as soon as possible.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:32 AM
  • I'm sorry, but the answer to your question is to stop using Norton Internet "security". It is spyware that tracks your internet traffic and performs "behaviors" when it thinks it has found a "problem". So many "problems" that Norton Internet Security points out are legitimate websites that aren't causing any issues at all. It cannot be trusted and it takes up a lot of system resources for no measurable benefit.

Windows 10 has built-in Virus protection that is suitable as long as you don't make it a habit to install executables from questionable sources or visit dark parts of the web and get hit with zero-day infested adware.

• Edited by Michael Earls Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:18 PM spelling
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:16 PM