SSP Roles issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm new to SCVMM and SSP and I have a questions about roles and quotas.

When I'm creating new roles in SSP, can I set disk quota and memory quota limits? I do not wish that one user will be able to create 3 VM's with 12 GB RAM and 500GB disk.

Monday, January 31, 2011 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Tomer,

Yes SSP has best solution for your scenario. i have succefully implemented this concept.

Step 1: create template with applying hardware profile of 1GB RAM & 20GB hard disk.

Step 2: Go to SSP user roles tab in administration option of SCVMM administration console.

step3: click on properties of ssp user role(group)

step4: go to create vm tab, select checkbox allow users to create vm. then add template which yuo created in first step to this.

step5: set quota 3 for deployed vms so that your will be able to create 3 vms with 1gb and 20gb hardisk for each VM.

Its done. :)

please mark as answer if you find it helpful or let me know if you need any help. or give me your email i will send you snapshot with clearification.

suchit.t@hotmail.com

Suchit Gawali. Sr System Engineer
    • Marked as answer by Yogesh C Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:12 PM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Tomer,

Feature to set quota for roles is not available.  But you can set quota to infrastructure & its associated services. Please note- One infrastructure can have multiple services.  Total memory and storage quota of all services should be equal to or less than Infrastructure Quota.

VM Creation count does not vary from user to user. In SSP2.0, VM creation count is based on available free quota in a Service of an Infrastructure.

Regarding restricting user to create VM of X memory and Y Storage, You can achieve this by not provisioning template with X GB of memory & Y GB of storage in an Infrastructure  As template doesn’t exist for infrastructure, user would not be able to create 1 VM with X GB memory and Y GB RAM 

Let me know if it answers your query. If no, Could you please share more details on your business scenario?.

Thanks,

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Hi Tomer,

Yes SSP has best solution for your scenario. i have succefully implemented this concept.

Step 1: create template with applying hardware profile of 1GB RAM & 20GB hard disk.

Step 2: Go to SSP user roles tab in administration option of SCVMM administration console.

step3: click on properties of ssp user role(group)

step4: go to create vm tab, select checkbox allow users to create vm. then add template which yuo created in first step to this.

step5: set quota 3 for deployed vms so that your will be able to create 3 vms with 1gb and 20gb hardisk for each VM.

Its done. :)

please mark as answer if you find it helpful or let me know if you need any help. or give me your email i will send you snapshot with clearification.

suchit.t@hotmail.com

• Marked as answer by Yogesh C Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:12 PM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:26 PM
  • tomer did my solution worked for you?

Friday, February 11, 2011 1:05 PM