none
DPM 2012 Sp1 + HyperV 2012 Local Storage System Volume Size RRS feed

• Question

• Help ;)

Im getting more and more sad about Hyper V 2012 and Backuping... We all know symantec 2012 dos not support or even work.

So we try DPM 2012 Sp1

After implementation all is working good. After some time we enable HyperV Replica on both 2012 Hosts.
    The Backup and also the Replication was working further.

Some Time later i notice some Replication Problems after resyncing and dis and reenabling all was working good.

Hm now i notice that the System Volume Information Folder size was dramaticly increse. I notice that the files are all named

DPMFilterBitmap{Identifiyer}

Hmm and now... i try to reduce the Backup time from every 15 min to 24 houres i also reduce the Retention from 5 to 4 Days.

Well i guess the Problem witch i have has something to do with the Hyper V Replica and the DPM.....

We are using the direct Client Server Methode not the Hyper V Methode. So we are backuping the VM's directly.
    Further i have disabled the VSS on the Local Store witch the VM's are lying and further i dont backup that drive only the C: on the Hyper V Hosts.....

Im totally Plan less at the moment so wath im doing wrong?

Happy to hear form you 

Greetings Florian

Monday, July 1, 2013 12:48 PM

All replies

• I am having somewhat of the same problem. My setup is as follows. I am having af 2-node WS2012 cluster serving as SOFS for a 7-Node WS2012 Hyper-V cluster using SMB3. I then use DPM2012 SP1 from a third server to back up the VM’s.

I also have a huge number of DpmFilterBitmap{GUID} files in the SVI folder. Typical I see a size of each DpmFilterBitmap{GUID} to be 458 Mb or 214 Mb.

From what I can see on the data stamps, the files aren’t been accessed and I have not had any trouble just deleting them. However this is a big problem since the growth of these files fills the drives in very short time.

I hope sombody can help.

Thomas I

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:16 AM
  • We do have this issue as well. The files are needed by DPM to keep track of corruption issues. There should be at least 50 with up to 10000 of these files. You can limit the number of files kept with MaxBitmapCount at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DpmFilter but Microsoft strongly suggest to not alter the value.

Since our expensive SSD storage was filling up like crazy with these files we decided to delete files older than x days using a scheduled job. So far no issues... Do this at your own risk ;-)
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:44 AM
  • You need disable shadow copy disks from GUI or CLI.

And delete existing shadow copies!

Diskshadow runs like diskpart does so perform the following:

1. diskshadow
    2. list shadows all
    3. delete shadows id 36350cd8-5ae2-4ccc-a9e3-e0db64116883 => The ID of the shadow you want to delete if you have multiple and want to remove one.
                OR
    4. delete shadows all => To delete them all if the only ones listed are the ones you want to delete.
    5. Go to the drives where the shadow copies resided and you will see a folder named after the shadow copy which is now empty.  This can be deleted using explorer.

sys_admin

Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:24 PM