OS Deployment Technologies RRS feed

• Question

• I will be preparing for a Windows server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 enterprise deployment soon.  I know what tools are available currently, but would like some clarification on where things are going before developing an OS deployment strategy.  I currently run SCCM 2007 R2, and liked the deployment options with WAIK, and MDT integration.  I've seen that there will be an SP2 release for SCCM soon, as well as talk of a R3 release for SCCM as well.  If I plan to use the most up to date tools available, should I be planning to use SCCMSP2, MDT 2010, and WAIK (KB3), or will R3, or other modifications to the WAIK or MDT be available by say Jan of 2010?  Where does Microsoft finally say OK, these are the tools we recommend?  Any guidance on this would be appreciated or links to guidance.

Thanks
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:26 PM

Answers

• If you are going to deploy Win7 you will need to use ConfigMgr. SP2 which should be available within the next few weeks. R3 is not yet in beta so there might be some changes to OSD features before it goes RTM ( in Q2 2010). As it is right now R3 will add some nice OSD features but it's only a feature pack. I wouldn't wait for R3 before I start the projects.
    Kent Agerlund | http://scug.dk/members/Agerlund/default.aspx | The Danish community for System Center products
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Friday, October 16, 2009 10:09 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 7:11 PM

All replies

• If you are going to deploy Win7 you will need to use ConfigMgr. SP2 which should be available within the next few weeks. R3 is not yet in beta so there might be some changes to OSD features before it goes RTM ( in Q2 2010). As it is right now R3 will add some nice OSD features but it's only a feature pack. I wouldn't wait for R3 before I start the projects.
    Kent Agerlund | http://scug.dk/members/Agerlund/default.aspx | The Danish community for System Center products
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Friday, October 16, 2009 10:09 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Thanks for the input, that helps.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 3:03 PM