Disconnected Network Drive and can't see domain computers on XP in 2003 Domain RRS feed

• Question

• I run SBS2003 Premium with mixed clients (XP Pro SP3, Vista, Win7). The netwrok has been operating well.

Two days ago, the XP client stopped being able to see other computers on the domain and shows Disconnected Network Drive on the main shared G: drive of the server. When attempting to open the G: drive, the computer thinks for a while then a dialogue box appears with the following:

An error occurred while reconnecting G: to \\(server)\general
    Windows Microsoft Network : The local device name is already in use
    This connection has not been restored

I can log into the server using RDC and access internet and Exchange mail, etc. I just can not see other resources on the domain. I am running the lastest updates and have rebooted a few times. The problem is constant.

I haven't found a fix yet on technet and am reluctant to start fiddling until I have a clear plan for a solution.

Any thoughts?

Saturday, March 5, 2011 10:18 PM

Answers

• At the Command Prompt, on the Windows XP machine:

net use /persistent:no
    net use * /delete /y

will remove all the existing network mappings.  Try creating new mappings after you run the command.  You can remove selective mappings, ie:

net use G: /d

John

• Marked as answer by agriserver Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:07 AM
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 1:22 PM

All replies

• At the Command Prompt, on the Windows XP machine:

net use /persistent:no
    net use * /delete /y

will remove all the existing network mappings.  Try creating new mappings after you run the command.  You can remove selective mappings, ie:

net use G: /d

John

• Marked as answer by agriserver Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:07 AM
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 1:22 PM
  • That's all very well, but it is extremely annoying to have to disconnect/reconnect drives nearly EVERY TIME you want to get/write some data!!!!
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:47 PM
  • You shouldn't need to do this every time you want to write data, the commands are used once only to clear and delete persistent connections which might conflict with other connections.

John

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:14 PM