Win 7 Install Not Working At All RRS feed

• Question

• My wife's computer had Win Vista on it on the first partition, but it crashed and would not reboot for any reason.

So I bought her a Win 7 Upgrade and we installed the upgrade on the second partition of the drive, however I messed up and installed the 32-bit version on her 64-bit only processor. Her computer was blue-screening for months before I figured out what the problem was just a few days ago.

Now, today, I put back in the Win 7 Upgrade disc, booted from the disc, went to the Install process, formatted both partitions, and installed the Win 7 Upgrade. Now windows will not boot whatsoever. At first it said the BOOTMGR was missing, so I went to the BIOS and had it boot from the other partition. Now when it tries to boot, it blue-screens. So I try to enter Repair Startup, and it tells me my Registry is corrupt. What the heck?!? How can the registry be corrupt when just formatted the drive partitions and put on a fresh install of Windows?!? I tried to reinstall again, and same problem. Can I get some help?

Monday, July 25, 2011 4:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I suspect that this situation may be caused by the MBR is corrupted. I suggest you to format all the partitions if you want to make a clean installation in the future.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:40 AM

All replies

• I wanted to update. I did a third reinstall and fixed the problem by Deleting the partitions, then having the install disc place a New partition on the drive, which automatically saved a segment for windows. I then reformatted the drive and reinstalled Win 7 and now everything works. I'm a little surprised the Win 7 install disc did not automatically do this, or at least give obvious options for it.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I suspect that this situation may be caused by the MBR is corrupted. I suggest you to format all the partitions if you want to make a clean installation in the future.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:40 AM