none
Unable to add IP address to trusted sites for all users with REGISTRY RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue adding an IP address to trusted sites for all users. I have tried using Google to change the registry for the local machine. I have also tried using gpedit under "Site to Zone Assignment List" and it also doesn't work.

I don't want to use group policy. I would like to do this with regedit.

I am using Windows Server 2008 R2.

• Edited by Bradeckz Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:18 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean you are able to add the trusted sites through GPO, but fail to add it locally?

Are there any group policy restriction?

Please generate a group policy report to check the settings. Run cmd as administrator and input the command: gpresult /h gpreport to get a report.

This thread may also give you some ideas, please refer to the link:

Adding trusted Sites for all users

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/84d9ca9d-4a34-4294-ac90-8bc5c47edc12/adding-trusted-sites-for-all-users?forum=ieitpropriorver

In addition, as this issue is mainly related to Windows Server 2008R2, I suggest discussing it in our Windows Server forum. They are the best resource to troubleshoot this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-us/home?category=windowsserver

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 30, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

GPO HKLM entries for site to zone assignment do not appear in the user's Internet Options>Security tab, zone lists. Use the File>Properties menu to determine which IE security zone a site has been mapped to.

The normal domain network deployment is through GPO settings. Usually the Intranet, and Trusted zone tabs or the whole IE security tab is disabled for normal users with GPO to stop them altering site mapping for those zones.

By default, local websites (file: protocol) and localhost map to the Internet zone... to deploy a localhost website you must publish it to a server on your network that is running IIS.... depending on IE's Intranet zone settings... it will then map that domain to the Intranet zone.
    Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, December 30, 2016 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean you are able to add the trusted sites through GPO, but fail to add it locally?

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Why is the first answer to do something in the Registry - GPO? 

There are many times that small / medium business doesn't need to add to Trusted Sites for every system on their network.  For example, to manage our F5s, we use an IE session and don't need to get to it from every system on our network.  Many hardware vendors also have management interfaces through a browser session.

I am looking to add said F5 IPs to a few servers for backup and that seems to be the Troll answer - Why don't you use GPO.  I also don't want to create a separate GPO for just a few servers when it should be easy to do with the Registry - IF I can get a straight answer.

I am also in that same mindset that if the person asking the question does not mark as Answered - don't mark it. 

Thank you for your consideration,

Scott

Saturday, July 21, 2018 12:37 AM
  • I know this is a bit late for an answer but it is related to the comment about GPO. 

you can add trusted sites to the HKLM section of a system

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\domains

make a key under this say google.com

in that key make a DWORD of * and assign it a value of 1,2,3, or 4

1 local intranet

2 trusted sites

3 internet zone

4 restricted sites zone

The comment that was made about GPO will apply to this, your users won't see it in the IE dialog for trusted sites.  But it will apply to all users. Also they can still add sites to those zones as need be. 

You can run that in a script or however you like. 

hope that helps

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 1:37 PM