Sharepoint is no longer using the logged in user credentials to edit office and is using the credientals of the windows user. RRS feed

• Question

• When a user logs in using a different account in sharepoint and tries to edit a document in word or any office doc it is now editing the document as the windows user not what the user is logged into sharepoint with.  If a user is logged in with an account with permissions and the windows account does not have permissions they cannot edit the document and vise versa.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks 

Friday, June 3, 2011 2:57 PM

Answers

• Since you are editing the document in Word on the desktop that behavior would be by design.  You are logged into SharePoint as the other user.  That gives you access to the file, which you can download or open.  But you are opening it in Word on the desktop which is running in the security context of the OS user.  Therefore to open the document directly both the SharePoint user and the Windows user need access to the document.  If only the SharePoint user has access you will  need to download the document and then open it from the desktop.

Other than using Office Web Applications and editing the document in the browser I don't see any way that you can change this behavior.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Friday, June 3, 2011 3:36 PM

All replies

• Since you are editing the document in Word on the desktop that behavior would be by design.  You are logged into SharePoint as the other user.  That gives you access to the file, which you can download or open.  But you are opening it in Word on the desktop which is running in the security context of the OS user.  Therefore to open the document directly both the SharePoint user and the Windows user need access to the document.  If only the SharePoint user has access you will  need to download the document and then open it from the desktop.

Other than using Office Web Applications and editing the document in the browser I don't see any way that you can change this behavior.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Friday, June 3, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Paul's first para is a very clear account of what's happening.

I would only ask why it is that the user has not been given rights to access the SharePoint site for the same "user" that is logged in to Windows. In a company situation that is by far the most common scenario (domain account) and the situation would normally only be different if the user was logging in to the Windows system as the Administrator of that system (i.,e. typically he installed Windows himself on a fresh PC rather than getting a pre-installed company PC).

Even in that situation it ought to be possible for a logon to be made to the PC that uses the same (domain) account as that given access to the SharePoint system/site(s).

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, June 3, 2011 3:45 PM