Maxtor Shared Storage will not install RRS feed

• Question

• Maxtor shared storage II did not install under Vista nor does it install under Windows 7.  After the reboot, it keeps saying this application has stopped working, I keep clicking find a solution online, but it doesn't.  I have a 1 TB Maxtor external store HD and I can't even use it.  Can someone give me some help?  Yes I am using the disc given with the drive, yes I am following instructions. 

Thank You
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please  try to manually uninstall the driver and reinstall it in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:39 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does your motherboard updated? You may need to update motherboard to support the this kind of device. Meanwhile, please check in Device Manager to verify if this device is detected by Windows. If it isn't detected, please take the following website to troubleshoot drive detect issue:

External Hard Drive Troubleshooter

Note: we provide this link for references, there may be some changes without notice. Microsoft doesn't control and guarantee the security in this website.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:37 AM
  • I tried upgrading through the device manager, and it said I had the newest version
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

Please  try to manually uninstall the driver and reinstall it in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:39 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:32 AM
  • Hi, I want to try.  I downloaded the XP compadibility mode, but I don't understand how to install with it
    Monday, September 7, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

See the following link on how to install a hardware device driver using compatibility mode.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/80cae5ee-dc98-4a2f-8284-a1ab826059b7

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:04 AM