none
Duplicates in reports RRS feed

• Question

• I ran MAP using AD as the basis for the search and then ran it a few days later using IP addresses to search by.  There are several computers that are now showing up in the reports twice.  The implication from the help file is that MAP is supposed to automatically recognize duplicates, but I've still go some.  How do I get rid of them? 
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:09 PM

All replies

• Todd,

Yes, MAP is designed to de-dup computers that they are found via IP scan and AD search.

Would you please send your Excel and Word docs from MAP to MAPFDBK@microsoft.com?  We'll be happy to look into this for you.

Baldwin Ng
    MAP Toolkit
    BNg
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed reply - I ended up just uninstalling the product and I don't have the original reports anymore.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Hello guys,

I've got the same problem =(

I've set to MAP scan my entire network using as parameters: AD database and all my ip range (including heardquarters and branch office).

The reports shows more than 500 duplicates computers with the same FQDN.

How can I fix this issue?

Thks in advice,

Leandro Soares - MCSA / MCT

Leandro Soares - MCP/MCSA/MCTS
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Unless MAP can actually connect to and inventory the computers, it doesn’t know that they’re duplicate.   It has to connect to the computer and inventory the hardware to build a fingerprint for each machine.  At the end of the inventory process, it removes the duplicates that have the same fingerprint.

Check to see that you’re actually getting a successful inventory of these computers.

It's possible for multiple computers to respond to the same FQDN (think about load balancing systems and failover clusters, for example), so MAP doesn't solely use FQDN to uniquely identify a computer.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Jay,

I know this is an old thread, but we're using the latest version and this problem is still there.

We ran into the same problem with duplicates generated after an IP range scan on top of Active Directory and the problem is that duplicates are created for computers on which the tool successfully authenticates via WMI. So there's no reason the tool could not detect them. In the database, in table  [AllDevices_Assessment].[HardwareInventory] the lines are completely identical except DeviceNumber and DaysSinceDomainAccountUpdate.

We ended up running the reports directly from the database after eliminating the duplicates because for whatever reason, the MAP UI would not consider the removal of duplicates we made directly in the database.

All the best,

Alex.

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:06 PM
  • The duplicate values may exist in a few of the tables, but that doesn't mean that MAP is using both of those values in the assessments. Part of the de-duplication process is the update of the table [Core_Assessment].[UniqueDevices].

When MAP creates the data sets for the reports and the UI, it uses this table as a filter to make sure it is only reporting unique devices.

Currently, MAP creates a checksum hash by coalescing these data points to determine if a device is a duplicate of another machine:

• MAC address (from the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WMI class)
    • BIOS serial number (from the Win32_BIOS WMI class)
    • Product ID (from the Win32_WindowsProductActivation WMI class)
    • Serial Number (from the Win32_OperatingSystem WMI class)

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:34 PM
  • Hello Michael,

I wish you were right.

Unfortunately for us, both table [Core_Assessment].[UniqueDevices] and table [AllDevices_Assessment].[HardwareInventory] contain the exact same number of lines which leads to the UI and Excel files it generates to contain around 300 duplicates from ~5000 total devices.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:55 AM
  • I really wish there's a fix for this because we're using this tool on a regular basis for our customers.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:00 AM
  • I would be willing to investigate this, but I will need a backup of an unaltered database that has the duplicates appearing. Would it be possible to run the inventory in a new database? If you are willing to help us track down what is happening here, then you can send an email to mapfdbk@microsoft.com and reference this forum post. I can then set up a secure file transfer site for you to upload the database.

Thanks.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Thanks, Michael, I'll have to request the customer's approval
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:10 PM