none
creating VPN connection and getting error 797 (I'm connecting through wifi, no modem!) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

When I am out of the office, I need to connect to the office network with a VPN connection. When I setup the VPN connection through the wifi/tethering to phone into our server, I get an error 797.

This error means a modem is not found, however, I dont remember selecting a  modem for this, and I am using the Wifi connection so it should be automatically connected to something at least.

Please let me know what to do from this point.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 12:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For your question, I want to confirm some points, please help collect answer for analysis:
    1. Which VPN server are you used?
    2. How about use VPN connect to server instead of WI-FI hot spots?

For your question, please try to remove the modem, and then restart the computer.  When the computer restarts, Windows detects the modem and attempts to install the correct driver for it:
    1. Log on to the computer as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    2. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    4. Click the Modems tab. In the "The following modems are installed list“, click the modem that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
    5. Click Yes in response to the "Are you sure you want to remove the selected modem(s) from your system?" message.
    6. Restart the computer.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For your question, I want to confirm some points, please help collect answer for analysis:
    1. Which VPN server are you used?
    2. How about use VPN connect to server instead of WI-FI hot spots?

For your question, please try to remove the modem, and then restart the computer.  When the computer restarts, Windows detects the modem and attempts to install the correct driver for it:
    1. Log on to the computer as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    2. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    4. Click the Modems tab. In the "The following modems are installed list“, click the modem that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
    5. Click Yes in response to the "Are you sure you want to remove the selected modem(s) from your system?" message.
    6. Restart the computer.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Sorry, bad eglish. Explain that I did it in spanish:

Abre el administrador de disponsitivos (inicio - panel de control - hardware - administrador de dispositivos)

En las opciones de arriba: ver -> mostrar dispositivos ocultos.

Si te aparece en NDProxy en Dispositivos que no son PLug and PLay, con una exclamación amarilla, puede que te pase lo mismo que a mí. Si no es así, no sigas con esto.

Click derecho en NDProxy - Propiedades.  En la pestaña Controlador, cambia el Inicio - tipo a Arranque y click en Aceptar.

Borra tus conexiones VPN (click en icono de tu conexion wifi o lan - centro de redes y recursos compartidos - cambiar configuración del adaptador - click derecho en las VPN y eliminar)

Reinicia

Puede que en el reinicio, Windows 7 haga una autoreparación.

Al terminar el reinicio puede que aparezcan de nuevo tus viejas conexiones VPN. Vuelve a borrarlas.

Crea tu VPN de nuevo y verás que ya no intenta conectar con un modem.

De nada!!

Yo también te quiero!!

• Proposed as answer by Jaime GL Friday, December 18, 2015 1:12 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 1:11 AM
  • This week I have the same error on my W7-64 bit.

All my VPN connection was with a red cross.

Surf to:

C:\Users\youruser.domain\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk

and verify permission on rasphone.pbk, edit with notepad its contents if necessary.

To testing it, double click on  rasphone.pbk and verify that there are yours configurations.

Connect from this form.

I hope that resolve your problem ...... in late

cheers

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:17 PM