locked
Updating an embedded spreadsheet in a Word document starts Excel RRS feed

  • Question

  • On several computers double clicking on the object opens up a window within Word (2010 or 2016) and hence the details can be updated within Word,  and  the size of the display changed.  On one computer it is updated in Excel, which fails to update the source document.

    Starting Word with the /a switch initially seemed to resolve the issue, but it has re-appeared

    Friday, July 20, 2018 11:28 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    How do you insert the object in Word? Do you check the option "link to file"?

    What's the version number of Office you're using? Please go to File- Account and provide the version number:

    Please provide detail steps about reproducing this problem, I'm glad to help you.

    Regards,

    Emi


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.


    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

    Monday, July 23, 2018 6:50 AM
  • Hi, 

    Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

    Regards,

    Emi


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.


    Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Sorry to take so long, but I do not work on the site on a regular basis.

    The version number of Word is 2016 , 1806 Build 10228.20134

    As to how & when the document was modified to contain the embedded worksheet I'm afraid I can not tell you, but the first use of a document with this name was March 2001.

    A brief explanation of it's purpose is as follows:-

    It acts as a skeleton to be used as a form of mail merge, using an Access database to populate the fields, then save the updated document with a generated name, into a specific folder (the details being taken from the host database record.  The user then adds extra information, in this instance costing details together with any relevant text.

    The document is a 2003 format file (.doc extension), I have tried changing it to a 2007 format (.docx) without resolving the issue

    I suspect that the embedded worksheet was added on the PC which has the issue, as such I intend to re-create the document on another computer.   I shall be checking this out on Monday, together with a number of other items.

    The issue appears to started when the computers were upgraded to Office 2016 from Office 2010 earlier this year. 

    I did manage to get it to work temporarily when the user's laptop was disconnected from the network, and I had started Word with the /a switch.  I modified the database to start Word with the /a setting, but this did not resolve the issue.

    I will update you with the results on Monday / Tuesday.

    Thanks for your interest in this.

    Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:36 AM
  • Good morning Emi

    I list below the steps tried this morning
     
    1)  Tested new versions of the Email master created on my laptop, these still went into Excel when I double clicked on the embedded worksheet on the user's laptop
     
    2) Created a new Account on his laptop.  Signing onto the new account did not resolve the problem
     
    3) I tried to reset the Word Registry settings by running Word with the /r setting.  This reacted differently to when I did it on my laptop, and did not resolve the issue
     
    4)  Lastly I tried running Word with the /a switch when his laptop was disconnected from the network.  This is what I had tried previously when it appeared to have resolved the issue.  This time the problem still existed.

    The only difference I can see between the various computers is that the laptop in question has a Com Add-In, Acrobat PDFMaker Office Com Add_in.

    Apart from disabling the above add_in have you any suggestions

    Thanks in anticipation.

    Monday, July 30, 2018 10:03 AM
  • How about installing the latest updates 1807 for Office and the result? As you said, you're using Office 1806, maybe this problem is related to the updates for Office?

    And also tested with earlier version of Office.

    Friday, August 3, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Hopefully will try out your suggestions early next week

    Friday, August 3, 2018 12:23 PM
  • How about after installing updates for Office?
    Monday, August 6, 2018 9:16 AM
  • I have checked that Microsoft Office was patched to the latest level (1907).  This did not resolve the problem, nor did an On-line Office repair.

    Four other things were tried, namely

    Running Word with the /a switch setting

    Unchecking the Adobe Acrobat Reader Add-In

    Uninstalling  the Adobe Acrobat software

    Setting and resetting the Excel Ignore DDE options

    None of the above resolved the issue

    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:21 AM
  • Office was patched to release 1807 the last time I looked.

    I have tried to eliminate all the various differences between the two other (IBM compatible) computers on the network, and the only other difference being that the one with the problem is a laptop, and has a dual screen configuration.

    Sunday, August 19, 2018 9:25 AM
  • I verified that Office was up-to-date, and undertook the tests as mentioned in my post of the 7th.

    Having tried to eliminate all the various differences between the two other (IBM compatible) computers on the network, and the only other difference being that the one with the problem is a laptop, and has a dual screen configuration.

    Sunday, August 19, 2018 9:28 AM