none
Recover DPM 2012 storage pool disk from shadown copy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have backup of DPM 2012 database and shadown copies of replica using below command to External USB HDD.

1.dpmbackup.exe –DB and

2.dpmbackup –replicas

How can I restore DPM storage pool disk if its get corrupted or dead from the shadow copy backup.

Thanks

Friday, May 10, 2013 9:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Answer remains the same:

<snip>
    The steps to recover a DPM Server are here, however, instead of restoring replica from tape or secondary DPM server, you would just copy from the External USB HDD.

Recovering DPM servers
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj244606.aspx
    >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The steps to recover a DPM Server are here, however, instead of restoring replica from tape or secondary DPM server, you would just copy from the External USB HDD.

Recovering DPM servers

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

How can I recover if the Whole DPM server is crashed

I have the DPM db backup and replica backup

Thanks

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

Answer remains the same:

<snip>

Recovering DPM servers
    >snip<

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:08 PM
  •                                                                  

1. Created replica backup using http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809133.aspx

2. Mounted volume using command mountvol k: \\?\Volume{a2072784-7573-4dce-a7e9-26713fd12697}\

Now in K: drive cant copy the data error is "Access Denied" even i cant copy it from location C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System\

if I cant copy the replica then its difficult to restore it to other DPM server

Pls help

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried administrative command prompt ?   Windows explorer is very picky when it comes to security.

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Yes , I have tried it with Administrator command prompt

and I am currently logged in with Administrator user.

My environment is Windows 2008 SP1, DPM 2012 SP1 Evaluation edition.

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:46 PM
  • What are the datasources you have trouble with ?   Systemstate/BMR ?

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:52 PM
  • in My protection Group I have only one folder to be backup up with DPM link c:\MyFolder its neither systenstate or BMR 

then I am trying to backup replica using dpmbackup –replicas.

• Edited by p.th Friday, May 24, 2013 5:01 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 5:01 PM
  • What does icacls show for permissions ?

Icacls.exe ab70cee7-a8a0-47ee-828e-ed7e822a3ffe

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

its same in icacls as well "Access denied"

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

Shadow copies are "read only" - you cannot change permissions on them.

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

Then how it can be restore this shadow copy replica backup to other dpm server if the DPM server is crashed OR in which case shadow copy backup will be used.

pls give some more idea about shadow copy restore.

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:17 PM
  • 1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system

4)  Now CD to the volume under Program files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\shadowcopy\...
    5)  Xcopy the data to a removable drive.

Friday, May 24, 2013 11:30 PM