• Question

• Hi,

I just built a new computer for myself.
    It's an

E8500 Wolfdale 3.16Ghz
    Asus PQ5 Pro
    HIS Radeon HD4850
    4gb Ram.

I've been having this stuttering problem with the AERO interface.  I've gone around to neighbourhood computer stores and used the Vista there, and AERO is quite smooth on those.  Gaming is fine for me and I'm getting the FPS rate that I should be...so there's no real BIG issue here, it's just an annoyance knowing that I'm not getting the the most out of my computer.

Stuttering:
    So to try to describe my problem in text, is a little hard...bare with me.
    When I open two or more windows, example: Internet Browser and an Instant Message software window.
    If I click and drag the IM window while the Browser window is still in the background, it has the "Trailing" effect, similar to the TRAIL you can add on your mouse cursor back in windows 98.

I've posted it on tech forums and they told me to post on the Vista forum to see if you guys can help me out with what's happening....

Things I've tried:
    • Downloading the latest video card driver
    • Rolling back to the original video card driver that came out of the box.

Note: Once again I want to be clear that, everything else works fine, it's just this little annoyance that's bothering me.
    PS:  Here is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Does the issue only occurs on Instant Message, or it occurs with any windows? If it only occurs with Instant Message, maybe this program is not compatible with Aero. Please try to upgrade it if there is any new version available.

However, if the issue occurs on all kinds of windows, I suggest that you boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

Monday, December 8, 2008 9:37 AM

All replies

• bump?
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

Does the issue only occurs on Instant Message, or it occurs with any windows? If it only occurs with Instant Message, maybe this program is not compatible with Aero. Please try to upgrade it if there is any new version available.

However, if the issue occurs on all kinds of windows, I suggest that you boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

Monday, December 8, 2008 9:37 AM